FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Discover 10% Cashback Bonus in-store through 2015 when using Apple Pay, up to $10k (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1708925-discover-10-cashback-bonus-store-through-2015-when-using-apple-pay-up-10k.html)

isriam Nov 6, 2015 8:38 am

Originally Posted by rajuabju (Post 25672832)
Is this a theoretical, or actually happened to you?

Because *I* DID get 10% AP on my non GC WAG purchases. Just not on the GC's.

And why do you need to black them out? You care so much about some customer service rep at Discover knowing what medications you take?

I'm not hoping anyone here gets screwed out of legit cashback they deserve under the promo. But those looking for loopholes after they knew what the T&C's said, I'm less sympathetic to.

the t&c's said gift cards were fine when this launched. Then lots and lots of people went out and applied for discover, and purchased iphone 6 and more. i can see why people are upset that the policy changed after it was announced.

that being said, its not going to ruin my life if i dont get my 10% but it will be annoying and i will no longer use discover.

rdcrds Nov 6, 2015 8:40 am

So what am i supposed to do? I went to Winn Dixie a number of times and bought like 100$ in food and a 400$ gift card. Now if they say they will not pay the 400$ part of it fine BUT i am not getting it for the 100$ in food and this is what i am pissed off about.

WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO KEEP A FOOD RECIEPT FROM A MONTH AGO TO PROVE SOME OF MY BILL WAS NON GIFT CARD? THEY CAN SEE THE AMOUNT IS A CRAZY 477.74 WHO IS GOING TO GET A GIFT CARD FOR THAT AMOUUNT!!

THIS IS WHAT I AM MAD ABOUT.

Gammachu Nov 6, 2015 8:41 am

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin (Post 25672821)
Uhm, how about that Walgreen's can't disclose it under HIPAA and Discover doesn't have a right to ask for personal medical purchases when the T&C never stated so. I'm no lawyer (and being a pharmacy tech doesn't make you an expert in HIPAA), but I bet a lawyer could have a field day in litigation with Discover on medical rights and the T&Cs.

I'm no lawyer either, but this is pointless seeing as we're all speculating if they really have L3 data. Some are also assuming they aren't able to see our itemized receipts because why else would they require proof of non gift card purchases if they in fact did? I myself will enjoy to see how Discover will handle this mess.

bmms8 Nov 6, 2015 8:41 am

Originally Posted by rdcrds (Post 25672867)
So what am i supposed to do? I went to Winn Dixie a number of times and bought like 100$ in food and a 400$ gift card. Now if they say they will not pay the 400$ part of it fine BUT i am not getting it for the 100$ in food and this is what i am pissed off about.

WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO KEEP A FOOD RECIEPT FROM A MONTH AGO TO PROVE SOME OF MY BILL WAS NON GIFT CARD? THEY CAN SEE THE AMOUNT IS A CRAZY 477.74 WHO IS GOING TO GET A GIFT CARD FOR THAT AMOUUNT!!

THIS IS WHAT I AM MAD ABOUT.

dude stop with the caps.

rajuabju Nov 6, 2015 8:43 am

Originally Posted by isriam (Post 25672855)
the t&c's said gift cards were fine when this launched. Then lots and lots of people went out and applied for discover, and purchased iphone 6 and more. i can see why people are upset that the policy changed after it was announced.

that being said, its not going to ruin my life if i dont get my 10% but it will be annoying and i will no longer use discover.

I get that. On the other hand, I'm sure (though I havent personally read them in detail) the T&C's also allow Discover to change the T&C at any time, in their sole and absolute discretion, etc etc.

It sucks for everyone, no doubt.

But those now wanting to take some kind of silly legal action, complaints to the CFPB, go to the media... I just think its a waste of time and effort. But to each their own I guess.

rdcrds Nov 6, 2015 8:43 am

Someone call cnn or yahoo news or fox i am sure a news place would pick this story up if told the whole deal of what id going on

silver4300 Nov 6, 2015 8:45 am

Did the T&C actually state that "gift cards are fine"? And then they changed the statement to "gift cards are not fine" a couple weeks after the launch? If so, I can see why people would be very angry. Would that even be legal for discover to do?

I was under the impression that the original terms did not state "gift cards are fine". Rather, it just lacked any mention of them. And they added the term later. It's still not cool, but a much lesser offense than the former.

Originally Posted by isriam (Post 25672855)

shitrus Nov 6, 2015 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Gammachu (Post 25672870)
I'm no lawyer either, but this is pointless seeing as we're all speculating if they really have L3 data. Some are also assuming they aren't able to see our itemized receipts because why else would they require proof of non gift card purchases if they in fact did? I myself will enjoy to see how Discover will handle this mess.

We can stop with the speculation. They don't have L3 data for WAG. WAG does not use L3 data. Source: I worked for the payment processing company that handles Walgreens (and Discover, but that's separate).

daprophecy Nov 6, 2015 8:50 am

I agree with you. If they had the data they can flat out just deny it but if they are giving you the option to fight it, it doesn't look like they are sure. I think the real sh!t show will begin when Joe regular buys a 3k item in legit spending and after 45 days is asked to produce a receipt to validate it.

Gammachu Nov 6, 2015 8:51 am

Originally Posted by shitrus (Post 25672901)
We can stop with the speculation. They don't have L3 data for WAG. WAG does not use L3 data. Source: I worked for the payment processing company that handles Walgreens (and Discover, but that's separate).

If this is true then, I fail to see any HIPAA violations.

heyeaglefn Nov 6, 2015 8:53 am

If they had L3 data, they wouldn't be denying legit non gc purchases.

isriam Nov 6, 2015 8:54 am

Originally Posted by silver4300 (Post 25672894)
Did the T&C actually state that "gift cards are fine"? And then they changed the statement to "gift cards are not fine" a couple weeks after the launch? If so, I can see why people would be very angry. Would that even be legal for discover to do?

I was under the impression that the original terms did not state "gift cards are fine". Rather, it just lacked any mention of them. And they added the term later. It's still not cool, but a much lesser offense than the former.

the original tc said all purchases. 2 days after the launch of the promo it was changed to exclude gift cards.

shitrus Nov 6, 2015 8:58 am

Originally Posted by isriam (Post 25672934)
the original tc said all purchases. 2 days after the launch of the promo it was changed to exclude gift cards.

Right, which is why I am only getting the 10% on $4039.60 of my purchases, because that was made in those two days, and the other 6k was made the following Monday.

MileageGoblin Nov 6, 2015 9:02 am

I'm not speculating. I know for a fact (and I said it as so in September) Discover doesn't have L3 data, yet the blogs keep putting out that "we don't know yet until verified." Asking for receipts verifies my "lead-pipe lock" of a source. Even places that provide V/MC L3 like Toys/Babies'R'Us don't do so for D.

miadeals Nov 6, 2015 9:09 am

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin (Post 25672977)
I'm not speculating. I know for a fact (and I said it as so in September) Discover doesn't have L3 data, yet the blogs keep putting out that "we don't know yet until verified." Asking for receipts verifies my "lead-pipe lock" of a source. Even places that provide V/MC L3 like Toys/Babies'R'Us don't do so for D.

I believe you and thought it was pretty obvious based on the fact that THEY are asking US for receipts to manually review instead of having this all done automatically already.

My question is, how do they know there is a gift card in some orders? Does the limited data that gets passed on to them have a flag in it of some sort? What other flags are passed on?