FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Discover 10% Cashback Bonus in-store through 2015 when using Apple Pay, up to $10k (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1708925-discover-10-cashback-bonus-store-through-2015-when-using-apple-pay-up-10k.html)

cdog999 Oct 5, 2016 11:12 am

Ugh, just got miles card and they can't transfer some CL from IT card. I tried HUCA and same thing from other person. Suggested I call back in 6 months and ask for a CLI, that stinks.

And, you have to have separate login ids for each card. That is just crazy!

Chelski Oct 6, 2016 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999 (Post 27305856)
Interesting. It still scares me to do too much as they can just shutdown for whatever reason they make up. Were you doing BPs?

Y BP, when you can do MO? No probs doing over $100k/month in single acct w/ major bank. I don't care for BP so I won't do it unless my hand is forced.

cdog999 Oct 7, 2016 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Chelski (Post 27314079)
Y BP, when you can do MO? No probs doing over $100k/month in single acct w/ major bank. I don't care for BP so I won't do it unless my hand is forced.

All Wallys near me are burnt. They won't even do split payments for BP. Closest (non-burnt) Wally will do 1 MO transaction + unlimited BPs. I'd be willing (and did) drive 30+ minutes to more friendly wallys for 5X, but for 1.5X + 1.5X (or 2x) it hardly seems worth the effort. There is a grocery stores that sometimes can do a couple at a time, but its hit or miss on whether or not they ask to see the card.

But given that I still have some low volume 5X, I think it makes sense to be able and do a little extra when I do make the non-frequent MO runs.

Also, never have encountered a bank that will accept what you are talking about without freaking out.

CWAL Oct 10, 2016 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999 (Post 27315658)
All Wallys near me are burnt. They won't even do split payments for BP. Closest (non-burnt) Wally will do 1 MO transaction + unlimited BPs. I'd be willing (and did) drive 30+ minutes to more friendly wallys for 5X, but for 1.5X + 1.5X (or 2x) it hardly seems worth the effort. There is a grocery stores that sometimes can do a couple at a time, but its hit or miss on whether or not they ask to see the card.

But given that I still have some low volume 5X, I think it makes sense to be able and do a little extra when I do make the non-frequent MO runs.

Also, never have encountered a bank that will accept what you are talking about without freaking out.

Another thing to take into account is the BP is a few less steps - no need to deposit, mobile or otherwise. No need to pay the CC from the bank.

Chelski Oct 10, 2016 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999 (Post 27315658)

It is a major bank. There have been reported shutdowns for much less. I do a lot of transactions and a number of transactions >xx,xxx. I won't say the bank as its one of the top 5-10 with operations in the US.

CWAL Oct 11, 2016 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Chelski (Post 27330462)
It is a major bank. There have been reported shutdowns for much less. I do a lot of transactions and a number of transactions >xx,xxx. I won't say the bank as its one of the top 5-10 with operations in the US.

Well, the only thing left to do then is start blasting MOs at the top 10 major US banks! ;)

cdog999 Oct 13, 2016 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by CWAL (Post 27332660)
Well, the only thing left to do then is start blasting MOs at the top 10 major US banks! ;)

Haha. He said operations in the top 5-10. That could be different than top 10 US based bank. That said, I've looked at the list and have a few ideas. Although I know I've had some issues here...

Code:

1        JPMorgan Chase & Co.        $2.42 trillion
2        Bank of America Corp.        $2.15 trillion
3        Citigroup Inc.        $1.77 trillion
4        Wells Fargo & Co.        $1.75 trillion
5        U.S. Bancorp        $415.94 billion
6        Bank of New York Mellon Corp.        $377.37 billion
7        PNC Financial Services Group Inc.        $362.13 billion
8        Capital One Financial Corp.        $313.7 billion
9        HSBC North American Holdings Inc.        $291.61 billion
10        TD Bank U.S. Holding Co.        $253.2 billion

CWAL Oct 13, 2016 8:55 pm

Number 6 sounds promising, I'd never even heard of them before. :P

jk2 Oct 17, 2016 9:21 am

I finished double CB for Miles IT card and thinking to get a new one. Should I cancel the current Miles IT card before applying for the same card? I only have 1 discover card. CL is $20K. I read that Discover doesn't do CL reallocation, and I am not sure if they give sufficient CL for new card.

macrophage Oct 17, 2016 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by CWAL (Post 27343763)
Number 6 sounds promising, I'd never even heard of them before. :P

BNY Mellon has closed its retail division years ago. They mainly do fund management nowadays.

exarkun Oct 24, 2016 7:17 am

What's the last day you can make purchases and they will count towards your anniversary double bonus? I would assume the day before the anniversary, however the rewards display now show $0 for my anniversary bonus. My anniversary date is Nov 7...

CWAL Oct 24, 2016 9:34 am

Originally Posted by exarkun (Post 27386044)
What's the last day you can make purchases and they will count towards your anniversary double bonus? I would assume the day before the anniversary, however the rewards display now show $0 for my anniversary bonus. My anniversary date is Nov 7...

*Should* be fine until the end of the statement that Nov 7 is included in. (e.g. statement from Oct 21-Nov 21)

exarkun Oct 25, 2016 7:05 am

nevermind

Chelski Oct 25, 2016 10:07 am

Originally Posted by exarkun (Post 27386044)

Read the last 3-5 pages of this thread to find out

Chelski Oct 25, 2016 10:10 am

Originally Posted by CWAL (Post 27330318)
Another thing to take into account is the BP is a few less steps - no need to deposit, mobile or otherwise. No need to pay the CC from the bank.

Especially if you get MOs returned more than 30 days after deposit... now that's a fun issue