Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This thread has begun a new tradition of annual master threads, this one on Visa Buxx. The previous 2003- 2014 megathread is here.

tcook052
MS Forum Moderator

Buxx cards can only be loaded with a Visa or MasterCard.

NW Buxx

•Initial purchase fee: $5 (waived with promo code: 02050053 - ( the promo code appears to be working consistently)
•$2 load fee
•Max load per rolling 7 days: $500
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $1,000
•Max ATM per week: ($200 - but only if specifically enabled online, including PIN setup). No fee for some Allpoint ATMs (no way to know in advance if the Allpoint ATM will ding you $1; check your account carefully and call if necessary to reverse the $1 charge…IME 2/3 Allpoint ATMs do charge the fee).
•Max spend per rolling 7 days: $800
•Max # of CC on file is 2.
•Max balance per card: $1000
•Max of 2 loads per CC per 7 day rolling period.

If you card fails to load, check to see if there are at least 7 calendar days between loads, make sure the load won't bring your card above the maximum balance, or try the other CC.

Funding with Citi cards codes as a purchase for NW Buxx.
TD Bank Go Buxx

•Can only be loaded with TD Bank credit cards, debit cards or direct deposit
•Initial purchase fee: $4.95 + $1 load fee
•Max load per day: $500
•Max load per 7 days: $2,000
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $3,000
•Max per ATM withdraw: $60/week. (No fee at TD Bank.)
•Max balance: $2,000
•Max transactions: no limit
•Max load per funding TD CC (across multiple teens): $6,000 per 30 days

Limits are per teen card, not per master account

TD Bank card loads are treated as purchases by TD Bank and earn points.

Cannot be used to pay CITI or Capital One cards by phone.

States not supported: AL, AK, AS, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, MP, OH, OK, OR, PW, PR, SD, TN, TX, UT, VI, WA, WV, WI, WY

USPS MOs count against the ATM withdrawal limit.

Do not create too many accounts too fast. Some reports of account shutdown when same SSN used across multiple cards / accounts in a short period of time.

USB Buxx (closed)

USB BUXX is closed:
Last day to load was Oct 24th, 2015.
Last day to use or withdraw all funds Dec 30th.
Cards closed Dec 31st
Transaction History available through 6/30/16

(NOTE: stopped taking new applications ~mid February 2014 through the official link.

Print Wikipost

VISA Buxx (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Bluebirdie
YoungBubbie, do your primary and AU have the same account number?

Since I've been using buxx sparingly, I never thought much of what's stated in Wiki: "Max of 2 loads per CC per 7 day rolling period". However, I was able to test the 1k limit for you. It appears that my assumption of 1K per teen per CC per 7 days were partly incorrect.

Here's my test. I found a family who also has buxx. Invited the family to fund my teen's account. When my family accepted the intite and tried to fund my teen with their CC (which was maxed out 1k on their own teens), an error "Maximum number of loads reached". So Wiki was correct when it states "Max of 2 loads per CC per 7 day rolling period". The detail lies in the max loads per CC seems to be a system wide limitation across all teen cards, not just per teen.

Hopefully this is the case you ran into and answers your question. If you found anything different, do share :-)
My authorized user card does have a different number. It seemed that the cash advance was limited to the primary owner only. Now that I got the cash advance on "my" card, I was successfully able to load my teen.

On the other hand I still cannot load a 2nd teen with my husbands card. I already used up his $1,000 limit on first teen. So I guess it's $1000 total limit per credit card number per 30 days. You would have to use a different credit card for the second teen.

So as long as authorized user card has a different number you can do $2,000 a month on the one credit card account.

If anyone has a different experience, I would love hear about it.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: BA, AA, DA, UA, CO
NW Buxx

I am late to this but, hey, better late than later! My primary purpose is just to hit the spending for the big sign-up bonuses. So trying to maximize the spend on one CC only.

I read half of this thread, but still would like to check w you all if my plan sounds like a painless experience.

Opened two NW Buxx "teen" cards (both with my name, one with middle initial), will come next week.

Load:Set up automatic reload to both 'teen' cards from the same CC of $500 on 1st and 15th. (total of $2008 spend on the same CC--4x$500 plus 4x$2 reload fees)

Liquidate by: two ATM withdrawals (one per each card) for $200 each, done between the 2st and 15 of each month. Expecting the $1 fee for each to be charged, although it is one of their ATM's, after the second automatic load hits I should have $799 balance on each teen card. So anytime between 16th and 30th of the month (making sure its at least 7 days gap after the ATM withdrawals) buy two money orders (one per each card) for $799. Deposit to my bank.

Am I missing something?

Last edited by pianistat; Jun 1, 2015 at 10:16 am
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707
I currently have a lot of free time on my hands as I'm waiting to hear back on a couple of life opportunities. Further, if a person delays getting the $1 reversal for a few weeks, I can see how this could end up being worth it.

Finally, I was messing around a little when talking to the reps. I knew heading into this that some would be useless and that I shouldn't waste time with them if they tell me they can't do anything. However, I wanted to show these particular reps that what they're doing is actually illegal, and it was frustrating. It's like trying to show that one guy who thinks he's always right that he's actually wrong. He'll keep telling you that you're wrong, no matter what you say.
When you do stuff like this it puts more stress on the tiny NW call center. Eventually some manager will have to explain why there is such long wait times when people call OR some CSR will go and ask their boss what you are talking about. When either happens the chances of what we are doing getting looked into increase dramatically. This is how shut downs happen.

Also, these reps are most likely hourly workers and definitely not lawyers. They are just telling you the rules handed down to them from their boss. These cards, these CSRs and this bank doesn't exist for you to earn credit card miles. Don't draw attention to what we are doing by arguing and making an ... of yourself. Just HUCA until you get your dollar back.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by pianistat
I am late to this but, hey, better late than later! My primary purpose is just to hit the spending for the big sign-up bonuses. So trying to maximize the spend on one CC only.

I read half of this thread, but still would like to check w you all if my plan sounds like a painless experience.

Opened two NW Buxx "teen" cards (both with my name, one with middle initial), will come next week.

Load:Set up automatic reload to both 'teen' cards from the same CC of $500 on 1st and 15th. (total of $2008 spend on the same CC--4x$500 plus 4x$2 reload fees)

Liquidate by: two ATM withdrawals (one per each card) for $200 each, done between the 2st and 15 of each month. Expecting the $1 fee for each to be charged, although it is one of their ATM's, after the second automatic load hits I should have $799 balance on each teen card. So anytime between 16th and 30th of the month (making sure its at least 7 days gap after the ATM withdrawals) buy two money orders (one per each card) for $799. Deposit to my bank.

Am I missing something?
I'm treating Visa Buxx loading as a cheaper VGC. The best VGC deal I could find is still $4 fees for $500. This is only $2 for $500. Then I unload to Target RC with 7 day gap.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:31 pm

Newbie to buxx question: has anyone run into this error when trying to order a new teen card: "Your order could not be completed. Please try again or change your payment method"? This is my first nationwide buxx card. I tried with two different credit cards, from different banks. Waited a day and tried again. Recreated the account a bunch of times. I was funding it with $500 initially, but tried different amounts including $0 and $200. Any hints would be appreciated!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by dawnzerly
Newbie to buxx question: has anyone run into this error when trying to order a new teen card: "Your order could not be completed. Please try again or change your payment method"? This is my first nationwide buxx card. I tried with two different credit cards, from different banks. Waited a day and tried again. Recreated the account a bunch of times. I was funding it with $500 initially, but tried different amounts including $0 and $200. Any hints would be appreciated!
Do you have an available cash advance limit on your credit card? They will not work if it is set to 0. Remember the transaction pends as a cash advance but eventually posts as a transaction. You cannot load a second time if you don't have enough cash advance limit until it resets.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by sunchip
When you do stuff like this it puts more stress on the tiny NW call center. Eventually some manager will have to explain why there is such long wait times when people call OR some CSR will go and ask their boss what you are talking about. When either happens the chances of what we are doing getting looked into increase dramatically. This is how shut downs happen.

Also, these reps are most likely hourly workers and definitely not lawyers. They are just telling you the rules handed down to them from their boss. These cards, these CSRs and this bank doesn't exist for you to earn credit card miles. Don't draw attention to what we are doing by arguing and making an ... of yourself. Just HUCA until you get your dollar back.
I can agree that my actions were not completely justified, but I do want to defend myself a little.

I just started with the NW Buxx, and my only action so far has been to withdraw, so it shouldn't look suspicious for either myself or for other MSers using NW Buxx. I think it'd be fine for managers to look over a new account with one withdrawal.

And yeah, I get that they're hourly workers and trying to get by. I was trying to be courteous and polite while speaking with them. At the same time, they shouldn't try to say something that they can't prove. The CSRs that I got kept insisting that the description of the fee was in the T&C that I agreed to, but I know it isn't. Then when I ask where it would be in the documents, they just said that they have a different set of info. from what's available to me. It's perfectly fine to just say that your hands are tied and that you are just reporting the information that's available to you. I get that; sometimes you just have to go with the system. It's another thing to actually say that I, as the customer, already have that information as well when I definitely do not.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Do you have an available cash advance limit on your credit card? They will not work if it is set to 0. Remember the transaction pends as a cash advance but eventually posts as a transaction. You cannot load a second time if you don't have enough cash advance limit until it resets.
Thanks! That was the problem.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:49 pm

Can anyone please confirm if loading Amex platnum into NW Visa buxx considerd a purchase?.

Thanks-
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by ual902
Can anyone please confirm if loading Amex platnum into NW Visa buxx considerd a purchase?.

Thanks-
visa and mastercard only
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:30 pm

Jumping in late on this bandwagon here...here's my situation:

Got NW Buxx with 2 teens both loaded with Citi Prestige. Already loaded and unloaded once via Redbird.

Today, I tried to add another teen, with Chase Ink Plus. Kept getting that order cannot be completed, try a different card. After searching the forums, I found that it was because I had set my CA to $20, and Chase charges it as a CA before changing it to a purchase, so it'll decline them. Same problem with my Chase United Business card.

Once I learned that, I switched to my Citi AA Exec to try to open that elusive 3rd Buxx. This time, I got this error, "A limit violation has occurred." What limit is this referring to? I read that there is a limit of 5 teens per address, but I only have 2 so far. And I haven't used this CC yet on Buxx at all. I think I may have read somewhere there is a limit to the number of times you can change your CC - am I remembering this correctly? I've already changed the second CC like 3 times, haha...just tried Aviator Red too and that also got the limit violation.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Last edited by optostar; Jun 2, 2015 at 11:42 pm
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: SPG, SWR
Originally Posted by optostar

Got NW Buxx with 2 teens both loaded with Citi Prestige. Already loaded and unloaded once via Redbird.

Today, I tried to add another teen, with Chase Ink Plus. Kept getting that order cannot be completed, try a different card. After searching the forums, I found that it was because I had set my CA to $20, and Chase charges it as a CA before changing it to a purchase, so it'll decline them. Same problem with my Chase United Business card.

Once I learned that, I switched to my Citi AA Exec to try to open that elusive 3rd Buxx. This time, I got this error, "A limit violation has occurred." What limit is this referring to? I read that there is a limit of 5 teens per address, but I only have 2 so far. And I haven't used this CC yet on Buxx at all. I think I may have read somewhere there is a limit to the number of times you can change your CC - am I remembering this correctly? I've already changed the second CC like 3 times, haha...just tried Aviator Red too and that also got the limit violation.

From the Wiki: Do not create too many accounts too fast. Some reports of account shutdown when same SSN used across multiple cards / accounts in a short period of time.

Perhaps this is what caused it ???
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I just ran up against the 5 card limit. Is there a way to determine when my 180 days are up?

Thanks,

Originally Posted by Mamibear
per wiki:
in the past, we could "edit" CCs unlimited number of times but since last year, that loophole was fixed.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by JuneBug30
From the Wiki: Do not create too many accounts too fast. Some reports of account shutdown when same SSN used across multiple cards / accounts in a short period of time.

Perhaps this is what caused it ???
Well that statement seems to apply for the TD Buxx card only which is pretty much not used anymore.

Originally Posted by optostar

I am not sure what NW Buxx has in terms of whether it has any change card limits in a short period of time but I would advise not switching cards so many times in a short period of time. I wouldn't be shocked if there was some sort of policy for this to prevent people from doing suspicious illegal activity.

You are sticking out like a sore thumb which is what all newbies do. Why not just stick with your Prestige or load with your second card (whatever it is) for now and wait.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Updated the wiki to remove outdated TD info - it doesn't matter how it used to be. Also added my own experience loading NW Buxx with Citi HH Reserve Visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.