Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This thread has begun a new tradition of annual master threads, this one on Visa Buxx. The previous 2003- 2014 megathread is here.

tcook052
MS Forum Moderator

Buxx cards can only be loaded with a Visa or MasterCard.

NW Buxx

•Initial purchase fee: $5 (waived with promo code: 02050053 - ( the promo code appears to be working consistently)
•$2 load fee
•Max load per rolling 7 days: $500
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $1,000
•Max ATM per week: ($200 - but only if specifically enabled online, including PIN setup). No fee for some Allpoint ATMs (no way to know in advance if the Allpoint ATM will ding you $1; check your account carefully and call if necessary to reverse the $1 charge…IME 2/3 Allpoint ATMs do charge the fee).
•Max spend per rolling 7 days: $800
•Max # of CC on file is 2.
•Max balance per card: $1000
•Max of 2 loads per CC per 7 day rolling period.

If you card fails to load, check to see if there are at least 7 calendar days between loads, make sure the load won't bring your card above the maximum balance, or try the other CC.

Funding with Citi cards codes as a purchase for NW Buxx.
TD Bank Go Buxx

•Can only be loaded with TD Bank credit cards, debit cards or direct deposit
•Initial purchase fee: $4.95 + $1 load fee
•Max load per day: $500
•Max load per 7 days: $2,000
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $3,000
•Max per ATM withdraw: $60/week. (No fee at TD Bank.)
•Max balance: $2,000
•Max transactions: no limit
•Max load per funding TD CC (across multiple teens): $6,000 per 30 days

Limits are per teen card, not per master account

TD Bank card loads are treated as purchases by TD Bank and earn points.

Cannot be used to pay CITI or Capital One cards by phone.

States not supported: AL, AK, AS, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, MP, OH, OK, OR, PW, PR, SD, TN, TX, UT, VI, WA, WV, WI, WY

USPS MOs count against the ATM withdrawal limit.

Do not create too many accounts too fast. Some reports of account shutdown when same SSN used across multiple cards / accounts in a short period of time.

USB Buxx (closed)

USB BUXX is closed:
Last day to load was Oct 24th, 2015.
Last day to use or withdraw all funds Dec 30th.
Cards closed Dec 31st
Transaction History available through 6/30/16

(NOTE: stopped taking new applications ~mid February 2014 through the official link.

Print Wikipost

VISA Buxx (2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Light
Did you read mine above that one? I already changed my CSP CA limit and I'm surely not eating a credit inquiry to revert it.

So since CSP and thus, UR, is out of the equation for me - what then do people use if not farming UR points? I assumed that BA+ would be most people's go-to, for obvious reasons. It was an inquiry to spur discussion on what other options are efficient.

Get off your high horse.
There is no hard inquiry to raise your CA on your Chase acct. As I said before I did this and there was no change to my credit report. Did you even call and ask them before you assumed that this was the case? A previous poster above said SOME banks not all nor he specifically say Chase.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Bluebirdie
Well, I never knew CA is not available to AU. Guess we learn something new every day :-)

Not sure why the primary card couldn't go through. Did Chase said the FA note was for the master account or AU card based? I understand some people don't want to call too often so as to attract too much attention. Please keep us posted if the AU charge go though now that CA is added. This is a very interesting problem you got.
You can use an AU for NW Buxx. I am doing this for one of my "other" NW Buxx. I use an AU card to fund those teen accounts.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA-1K
For NW Buxx, what's the best credit card to use to maximize rewards?
Barclays Arrival Plus MC seem to work (2.2% cash back), but are there any better reward cards out there?
I just signed up for Barclays Wyndham Visa and tried to load (to easily hit minimum spend), but transaction coded as cash advance and not purchase.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:32 pm
cxr

anybody have info on other credit union reloadable debit cards.
looks like QFCU and AgFCU both have reloadable DEBIT cards. accept credit card loads and don't have the limits of these buxx cards.

but the online faqs are very basic

Last edited by cxr; May 27, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Old May 27, 2015, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by cxr
anybody have info on other credit union reloadable debit cards.
looks like QFCU and AgFCU both have reloadable visa cards. accept credit card loads and don't have the limits of these buxx cards.

but the online faqs are very basic
I got one last year issued by Meta bank, their travel card, similar to the ones in a thread on here, from a credit union. I got shut down after the third load, which was $10 per load up to $1000. I still have their reloadable one bought last year from the same thread, but only load once or twice a month. I feel better about using these buxx cards than the other Meta issued.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:43 pm

How would one "register" a NW Buxx card for online purchases? I'm trying to set mine up for online Serve debit loads, and I get the message "We're sorry, your card issuer declined this transaction. Please call the number on the back of your Visa card for additional information." When I do so and follow the automated prompts, it tells me that I have to "register" the card on the interface for online purchases. I see nowhere to do that in neither the parent nor the teen account.

Also, on an unrelated note, I'll give some data about getting the ATM fee reversed. I went to an Allpoint ATM and was charged a $1.00 fee. I called customer service, and the first two people were not only entirely incompetent, what they were trying to do was actually technically illegal. They had the gall to tell me that it was a "program fee" (their words) and that I would be charged it no matter what. With the first representative, I asked where in the terms and conditions this would be, and he agreed with me that it wasn't in there, yet he insisted that because it was a program fee, he couldn't do anything.

With the second rep, I asked where it was in the terms, and she said she could tell me exactly where it was, but that it was there. I told her that I had read through the terms and conditions (I have), and it wasn't there at all, but she kept saying that it was and that it shows up on her screen because the information is arranged differently. I then told her that that meant that she had a different set of terms than I did and that it was illegal to bind me to something that I didn't agree to, and yet she just kept insisting that it was in my terms even though I know it's not. I asked her if she could just email me the copy of terms that she had, and she just said that the system wouldn't let her. I asked if she could physically copy and paste the words into an email, and she kept saying that the system wouldn't let her, which is total ......... I finally got her to send me a paper copy of the terms after she went to go talk to her manager.

On my third call, I finally got someone who was willing to help, and I got it reversed within five minutes. I'm thankful for her, but I hate those other reps.

Last edited by Phantom707; May 27, 2015 at 10:52 pm
Old May 28, 2015, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707
How would one "register" a NW Buxx card for online purchases? I'm trying to set mine up for online Serve debit loads, and I get the message "We're sorry, your card issuer declined this transaction. Please call the number on the back of your Visa card for additional information." When I do so and follow the automated prompts, it tells me that I have to "register" the card on the interface for online purchases. I see nowhere to do that in neither the parent nor the teen account.

Also, on an unrelated note, I'll give some data about getting the ATM fee reversed. I went to an Allpoint ATM and was charged a $1.00 fee. I called customer service, and the first two people were not only entirely incompetent, what they were trying to do was actually technically illegal. They had the gall to tell me that it was a "program fee" (their words) and that I would be charged it no matter what. With the first representative, I asked where in the terms and conditions this would be, and he agreed with me that it wasn't in there, yet he insisted that because it was a program fee, he couldn't do anything.

With the second rep, I asked where it was in the terms, and she said she could tell me exactly where it was, but that it was there. I told her that I had read through the terms and conditions (I have), and it wasn't there at all, but she kept saying that it was and that it shows up on her screen because the information is arranged differently. I then told her that that meant that she had a different set of terms than I did and that it was illegal to bind me to something that I didn't agree to, and yet she just kept insisting that it was in my terms even though I know it's not. I asked her if she could just email me the copy of terms that she had, and she just said that the system wouldn't let her. I asked if she could physically copy and paste the words into an email, and she kept saying that the system wouldn't let her, which is total ......... I finally got her to send me a paper copy of the terms after she went to go talk to her manager.

On my third call, I finally got someone who was willing to help, and I got it reversed within five minutes. I'm thankful for her, but I hate those other reps.
You can't use Buxx to load Serve online.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: AA UA
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
It seems that even though my ink account has a cash advance available it was only for the primary owner. I had to call to have them allocate a cash advance line for my card. That was why all my loads were declined and I got that message to use another card. Hopefully it will work now.

But that doesn't answer why I couldn't load the second teen using the primary owners card. I was able to load the $1,000 limit for this month on the first teen but can not load the 2nd teen. I keep getting that use another card.
YoungBubbie, do your primary and AU have the same account number?

Since I've been using buxx sparingly, I never thought much of what's stated in Wiki: "Max of 2 loads per CC per 7 day rolling period". However, I was able to test the 1k limit for you. It appears that my assumption of 1K per teen per CC per 7 days were partly incorrect.

Here's my test. I found a family who also has buxx. Invited the family to fund my teen's account. When my family accepted the intite and tried to fund my teen with their CC (which was maxed out 1k on their own teens), an error "Maximum number of loads reached". So Wiki was correct when it states "Max of 2 loads per CC per 7 day rolling period". The detail lies in the max loads per CC seems to be a system wide limitation across all teen cards, not just per teen.

Hopefully this is the case you ran into and answers your question. If you found anything different, do share :-)
Old May 30, 2015, 4:23 pm

Am I missing something? I just got a NW card and I'm not seeing the load fee being charged anywhere.
Old May 30, 2015, 4:34 pm

Am I missing something? I just got a NW card and I'm not seeing the load fee being charged anywhere.
It should be added on to your cc charge. When I load $500, it shows up as $502 on my cc account.
Old May 30, 2015, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by mnCO
It should be added on to your cc charge. When I load $500, it shows up as $502 on my cc account.
It appeared on my second load. I guess it was just free for my initial load.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA UA
Yes I believe the initial load is fee-free.
Old May 31, 2015, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by mnCO
Yes the initial load is free. Any load after that has a $2 fee.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707

Do you feel the amount of time and angst is worth the $1 refund?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by jptravels4fun
Do you feel the amount of time and angst is worth the $1 refund?
I currently have a lot of free time on my hands as I'm waiting to hear back on a couple of life opportunities. Further, if a person delays getting the $1 reversal for a few weeks, I can see how this could end up being worth it.

Finally, I was messing around a little when talking to the reps. I knew heading into this that some would be useless and that I shouldn't waste time with them if they tell me they can't do anything. However, I wanted to show these particular reps that what they're doing is actually illegal, and it was frustrating. It's like trying to show that one guy who thinks he's always right that he's actually wrong. He'll keep telling you that you're wrong, no matter what you say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.