FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

JRV62 Oct 25, 2015 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Joshy119 (Post 25613977)
The $500 limit per store seems fishy to me

FD here is 500 limit a day, tried 1k yesterday got the possible fraud detected

DaveInLA Oct 25, 2015 2:46 pm

Who has gotten the fraud alert for loading their first card of $500? I'm ok with $500 limit per 10 minutes. I just don't want to walk into FD at 4 pm and have my card rejected and drained because someone loaded $500 at 9 am.

Happy Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Montacute (Post 25612236)
Maybe there is no shipping notification with new serve, only with onevip? Which type did your DH get?

OneVIP which was registered minutes after cancelling a New Serve opened by accident.

See my post just above the one I mentioned no shipping notification email.

Both physical cards arrived on the same day, neither has any shipping email notification.

New Serve card is of course useless as the account does not exist any more. When logged in, AMEX only pulls up the One VIP.

Activated the OneVIP online without any issue.

Joshy119 Oct 25, 2015 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by JRV62 (Post 25614156)
FD here is 500 limit a day, tried 1k yesterday got the possible fraud detected

I mean the "whole store only has $500 it can load to Serve for the whole day" thing

Don't buy it.

Granted, I have never tried to load over $500 per day - but no matter whether it is 8:10am or 5:10PM so far I have been able to do my $500 with no issues

Happy Oct 25, 2015 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Joshy119 (Post 25614627)
I mean the "whole store only has $500 it can load to Serve for the whole day" thing

Don't buy it.

Granted, I have never tried to load over $500 per day - but no matter whether it is 8:10am or 5:10PM so far I have been able to do my $500 with no issues

Dont know if you have been around a year or more - that was the case reported by many people on the FD limit - some after experiencing missing funds because at the time not everyone knew, not even the cashier, that they must immediately swipe the card again in order to return the fund back to the card.

It could be you are the only person doing this type of activity at your FD so the $500 is not used up UNTIL you go in to do your load. Until you try to load a second $500 within the same day at your store, you dont have ANY base to claim the $500 limit is not true.

Besides, it could be FD stores can set their POS by region, district, store level - much like the coin counter at TD Banks can have a limit of $1000, but 90% of them only $200 - that we learned from the Mint day.

TravelingBear Oct 25, 2015 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by jason1991 (Post 25614091)
I opened a SPG card back in September for the 30k point offer. Since then I used Serve to fund 1.2k, VGC for 1.5k and the rest 500 in normal spending. I haven't seen points posted 3 days after I spent $3k in total...does it mean serve no longer count?

Have you hit a billing cycle? You may need to be a little more patient.

Atxbobcat Oct 25, 2015 4:37 pm

FIA Amex question

Does the FIA Amex card only earn the CB when using the SoftServe version, or is it also available for new accounts?

jason1991 Oct 25, 2015 5:42 pm

Currently in the middle of billing cycle. I thought the SPG points would be almost immediately added, no?

Originally Posted by TravelingBear (Post 25614811)
Have you hit a billing cycle? You may need to be a little more patient.

ramamosn Oct 25, 2015 6:10 pm

Load fee for Serve at WM

Today, I went to load $1K to my new Serve card. I was surprised to know there is a fee of $3.74 for each load. I was planning to load $5k this week. Is this the end of free load on Serve at WM?

DaveInLA Oct 25, 2015 8:23 pm

Just loaded OneVIP with $1000 at MoneyCenter, no fee. Pretty easy, except for the wait. The Kate looked like it was working, but I ran into the 9-digit PIN issue. From what I read, there's no solution to that, correct?

ericdabbs Oct 25, 2015 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by ramamosn (Post 25615181)
Today, I went to load $1K to my new Serve card. I was surprised to know there is a fee of $3.74 for each load. I was planning to load $5k this week. Is this the end of free load on Serve at WM?

Which Serve card version did you sign up for? You probably did not sign up for the right version of the Serve card.

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 25615552)
Just loaded OneVIP with $1000 at MoneyCenter, no fee. Pretty easy, except for the wait. The Kate looked like it was working, but I ran into the 9-digit PIN issue. From what I read, there's no solution to that, correct?

I think a reboot fixes the issue.

DaveInLA Oct 25, 2015 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs (Post 25615567)
I think a reboot fixes the issue.

Hopefully. So nothing I can do.

DrForce Oct 25, 2015 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Atxbobcat (Post 25614893)
Does the FIA Amex card only earn the CB when using the SoftServe version, or is it also available for new accounts?

The FIA amex will earn points regardless of which Serve that you have.

dfwjoel Oct 25, 2015 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 25614647)
Dont know if you have been around a year or more - that was the case reported by many people on the FD limit - some after experiencing missing funds because at the time not everyone knew, not even the cashier, that they must immediately swipe the card again in order to return the fund back to the card.

It could be you are the only person doing this type of activity at your FD so the $500 is not used up UNTIL you go in to do your load. Until you try to load a second $500 within the same day at your store, you dont have ANY base to claim the $500 limit is not true.

Besides, it could be FD stores can set their POS by region, district, store level - much like the coin counter at TD Banks can have a limit of $1000, but 90% of them only $200 - that we learned from the Mint day.

I attempted to load $500 at an FD this afternoon and on the pad it said "approved" but then said denied at the very bottom. The cashier said that she didn't know what was wrong since she had been loading these all day. I asked if someone had just come in before me to load a serve and she said yes. Luckily, I had read to immediately swipe my GC again. I checked the VGC website where I could see the initial $500 purchase and then the $500 debit followed by a $500 credit.

A few hours later, I went to a second FD and loaded without issue. I'm not keen on actually testing what caused the initial failure.

DaveInLA Oct 26, 2015 12:03 am

I remember reading to swipe again also, but I'm not sure when we are supposed to swipe. Immediately after it shows "canceled"? Any buttons to press?

Atxbobcat Oct 26, 2015 6:37 am

Originally Posted by DrForce (Post 25615624)
The FIA amex will earn points regardless of which Serve that you have.

Thank you very much! When reading through the Wiki they list cards that earn points/miles/CB right under the SoftServe description so I just wanted to be sure that the list applied to all versions of Serve. Thanks again!

knowledgeispower Oct 26, 2015 6:46 am

Originally Posted by jason1991 (Post 25615097)
Currently in the middle of billing cycle. I thought the SPG points would be almost immediately added, no?

I've found it can vary. Sometimes it posts a few days after and other times I've had to wait for a statement. Not sure why...

uPantcho Oct 26, 2015 12:13 pm

ok, yesterday i had some adventures around the bay area. i had 3 serve cards and i had previously loaded 1 of them with 3k and other with 2500. i bought 10 gebits at safeway and begun my trip at about 3 or 4pm

stop1. walmart san leandro. CSR asked to see the card i was using and denied to load. i went cashier hoping and managed to load around 2.5k on that store (it iwas a long day and i wont be 100% sure of all my loads...)

stop2. walmart union city. this was where i first loaded 500 on one card to test the waters before. cashiers couldnt load, money center lady flat out declined me (this time i tried to use sleigh of hand but didnt quite work). left without any load

stop3 and 4. walmarts freemont. im not sure exactly but i think i was declined at albrae store. the cashier's problem was that i was loading someone else's card and it seemed like the gebit would work fine. i went inside the store and tried to buy something and then load but she popped out of the blue to stop me. at osgood i managed to load 5 times, 2 with CSR and 3 with cashiers

i went to safeway to buy 9 more cards. i was already approaching 9pm so i could finish my monthly loads easily (or so i thought)

stop5. walmart milpitas. managed to load twice. 3rd cashier (and last on store) wanted to see the gebit

stop6. walmart santa clara. cashier wanted to see gebit

stop7. walmart stevens creek, san jose. said that only costume service could load and they were closed already.

stop8. at this point i was approaching 11pm and some walmarts were closed already, this was my last stop. only 1 cashier working. loaded 500 without any problem. since i had nothing to lose, i bought some candy and asked the cashier if i could load again to which she answered "we can try".

summary:8 walmarts visited, 7k loaded. single walmart hoping seems hopeless with gray gebits, i either will order personalized ones now or go with a friend to speed up process. many cashiers have their own rules apparently. in any case, i had the impression that long lines on cashiers would guarantee a single load at least since they are in a rush but as always YMMV

btw i should add that prices on walmart in general seemed to be 20% cheaper than target (for the stuff around the cashiers at least). still im not sure if it is worth for the day-long trip. i will try to get rid of my current gebits and next month i will try some personalized ones to see if i can unload them faster

chrisremo Oct 26, 2015 12:48 pm

Is there any particular reason not to just withdraw Serve funds at an ATM? Is that more likely to flag your account for bad behavior than bill paying credit cards?

uPantcho Oct 26, 2015 1:28 pm

withdrawing will take many attemps/physical relocation, bill pay goes all at once from my couch

BigRedBears Oct 26, 2015 1:32 pm

Hey guys, question.
I have a temp Serve card. I loaded it with $500, but haven't finished verification process.
Can I withdraw cash at MoneyPass ATM network? Or does the verification process have to be completed?

chrisremo Oct 26, 2015 1:50 pm

Anyone here in San Francisco who knows of any locations to load Serve with debit in the city? I don't have a car and it's looking like I might be totally out of luck.

There don't seem to be any Dollar General or Family Dollar locations here, nor Walmart. We have CVS and 7-11 but the Wiki states those are cash-only. I can't find any mention either in the wiki or the thread itself about whether Rite-Aid loads debit—I actually can't find any relevant discussion of Rite-Aid at all even though it's listed on the Serve site.

Lumpylump76 Oct 26, 2015 2:22 pm

That's 7 hours of driving around Cashier shopping! How much did you earn out of under $10K worth of gebits? ? Outside of meeting min spend, it seems like a lot of work for very little gain...

Originally Posted by uPantcho (Post 25618347)
ok, yesterday i had some adventures around the bay area. i had 3 serve cards and i had previously loaded 1 of them with 3k and other with 2500. i bought 10 gebits at safeway and begun my trip at about 3 or 4pm

stop1. walmart san leandro. CSR asked to see the card i was using and denied to load. i went cashier hoping and managed to load around 2.5k on that store (it iwas a long day and i wont be 100% sure of all my loads...)

stop2. walmart union city. this was where i first loaded 500 on one card to test the waters before. cashiers couldnt load, money center lady flat out declined me (this time i tried to use sleigh of hand but didnt quite work). left without any load

stop3 and 4. walmarts freemont. im not sure exactly but i think i was declined at albrae store. the cashier's problem was that i was loading someone else's card and it seemed like the gebit would work fine. i went inside the store and tried to buy something and then load but she popped out of the blue to stop me. at osgood i managed to load 5 times, 2 with CSR and 3 with cashiers

i went to safeway to buy 9 more cards. i was already approaching 9pm so i could finish my monthly loads easily (or so i thought)

stop5. walmart milpitas. managed to load twice. 3rd cashier (and last on store) wanted to see the gebit

stop7. walmart stevens creek, san jose. said that only costume service could load and they were closed already.

stop8. at this point i was approaching 11pm and some walmarts were closed already, this was my last stop. only 1 cashier working. loaded 500 without any problem. since i had nothing to lose, i bought some candy and asked the cashier if i could load again to which she answered "we can try".

summary:8 walmarts visited, 7k loaded. single walmart hoping seems hopeless with gray gebits, i either will order personalized ones now or go with a friend to speed up process. many cashiers have their own rules apparently. in any case, i had the impression that long lines on cashiers would guarantee a single load at least since they are in a rush but as always YMMV

btw i should add that prices on walmart in general seemed to be 20% cheaper than target (for the stuff around the cashiers at least). still im not sure if it is worth for the day-long trip. i will try to get rid of my current gebits and next month i will try some personalized ones to see if i can unload them faster

FSG378 Oct 26, 2015 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by uPantcho (Post 25618347)

Yes, it is really an adventure. I cannot image myself to spend a long day to visit 8 WMs. I can only visit one WM at a time. Fortunately, I can load all my cards from a Kate about one hour when Kate is working (80% of the time).

uPantcho Oct 26, 2015 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76 (Post 25619024)
That's 7 hours of driving around Cashier shopping! How much did you earn out of under $10K worth of gebits? ? Outside of meeting min spend, it seems like a lot of work for very little gain...

i get 2miles/ dollar on grocery, but next time i will just use everyday preferred and get 1.5 with eprsonalized. hopefully i will be able to settle it all only on the oakland-union city loop (i did not go the 2 closest to oakland)

it took me about 1.5 hour longer than normal because i had to stop to eat, gas, drop a few things in south bay... i also had trouble with my second purchase of gebits

cruisr Oct 26, 2015 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by BigRedBears (Post 25618764)
Hey guys, question.
I have a temp Serve card. I loaded it with $500, but haven't finished verification process.
Can I withdraw cash at MoneyPass ATM network? Or does the verification process have to be completed?

The verification process has to be completed. You can use it as a regular Amex though so you can buy things with it or use it to pay a bill that accepts Amex for payments

cruisr Oct 26, 2015 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by FSG378 (Post 25619193)
Yes, it is really an adventure. I cannot image myself to spend a long day to visit 8 WMs. I can only visit one WM at a time. Fortunately, I can load all my cards from a Kate about one hour when Kate is working (80% of the time).

I'd kill myself if I had to visit 8 WMs in a day.

aradisc Oct 26, 2015 4:03 pm

My PPBDC will no longer link with Serve, after previously being able to use it with BB, SoftServe, and RedCard :(

DaveInLA Oct 26, 2015 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by aradisc (Post 25619488)
My PPBDC will no longer link with Serve, after previously being able to use it with BB, SoftServe, and RedCard

That's my concern too. My OneVIP is coming soon.

stupidzbu Oct 26, 2015 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by chrisremo (Post 25618869)
Anyone here in San Francisco who knows of any locations to load Serve with debit in the city? I don't have a car and it's looking like I might be totally out of luck.

There don't seem to be any Dollar General or Family Dollar locations here, nor Walmart. We have CVS and 7-11 but the Wiki states those are cash-only. I can't find any mention either in the wiki or the thread itself about whether Rite-Aid loads debit—I actually can't find any relevant discussion of Rite-Aid at all even though it's listed on the Serve site.

there are no Rite Aids in the city either

spidy1 Oct 26, 2015 4:57 pm

Can you load Vanilla VGC that are available in Rite Aid & CVS?

BigRedBears Oct 26, 2015 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr (Post 25619331)
The verification process has to be completed. You can use it as a regular Amex though so you can buy things with it or use it to pay a bill that accepts Amex for payments

So, for example, I can use it to pay rent? My landlord accepts Amex for payments.

Doesn't Citi accept debit cards for bill payments?

uPantcho Oct 26, 2015 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by BigRedBears (Post 25619706)
So, for example, I can use it to pay rent? My landlord accepts Amex for payments.

Doesn't Citi accept debit cards for bill payments?

i think he meant things like comcast, at&t...

i doubt a landlord would accept amex. lastly, serve-like cards cant be used as debit (even though you can cash on some atms)

chrisremo Oct 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by stupidzbu (Post 25619584)
there are no Rite Aids in the city either

Guess I'm entirely out of luck in SF then! Online loads only I suppose.

DaveInLA Oct 26, 2015 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Flyby01 (Post 25613322)
I've loaded $1000 to a OneVIP card more than once on a single day via FD on two different stores @ $500 each. This needs to be updated, as well.

Hopefully I'm as successful as you. My route later has 2 relatively nearby FD. I plan on loading $500 from each store to the same OneVIP about 20-30 min apart.

anubond005 Oct 26, 2015 8:12 pm

FD Loads getting difficult

Just an fyi guys on loads at FD. All FDs in my area getting cranky. Tried 4 yest and 2 declined to use debit card and said only cash. When i tried to talk to one manager saying I always used debit here, he pointed to sticker on the door which mentions something like cash loads of Serve. One FD manager asked to see debit card and success with one. I can only think of influx of lot of new members. Plz let me know guys if anyone experienced the same.

DaveInLA Oct 26, 2015 8:22 pm

I just left my local FD, they let me swipe with gebit but it was declined. The cashier told me that it was a system error and then instructed me to swipe my card again so that the process could cancel fully. I guess this is what people mean by swiping again. I checked my balance on the gift card as soon as they left the store and all the funds are still there

mcsere Oct 26, 2015 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by anubond005 (Post 25620362)
Just an fyi guys on loads at FD. All FDs in my area getting cranky. Tried 4 yest and 2 declined to use debit card and said only cash. When i tried to talk to one manager saying I always used debit here, he pointed to sticker on the door which mentions something like cash loads of Serve. One FD manager asked to see debit card and success with one. I can only think of influx of lot of new members. Plz let me know guys if anyone experienced the same.

So what will you do if others experienced the same? Or didn't experience the same? How will that effect you? Just curious.

Cheers

Flyby01 Oct 26, 2015 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by anubond005 (Post 25620362)

I was given a heads up, as well, by a cashier that loads may change also to cash only. If it happens, it happens. I won't sweat it as I can't do anything about it anyway if and when it happens. I'm just making sure I don't hold on to Vanilla VGCs for more than 24 hours to be on the safe side. And yes, that sticker on the door does say "cash only".

bobert24 Oct 26, 2015 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 25609893)
Did you actually get an email saying your card had shipped, or just saying your registration was complete? The email I got (10/21) just says:

Congratulations, your registration for an American Express Serve Account is now complete! Until you receive and activate your new Personalized Card, continue to enjoy using the Temporary Card you purchased at the store.
I haven't gotten anything actually saying a new card was shipped.

Looks like there have been a few people curious about this same topic. I got an old blue Serve (went to walmart, bought a temp card with the old info, and registered it online). Only ever got the email quoted above - never got a shipping confirmation email. My permanent card came today. So for those of you who bought & activated an old blue serve, don't expect the shipping confirmation email.