FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

Phantom707 Oct 22, 2015 11:21 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 25601108)
I was going to say that AU debit cards can't load AMEX prepaid cards online, but you said it was fine on RB a week ago, so I don't know what to say. I've been able to load my BB and then RB card with my PPBDMC, but I've read many stories of people not being able to load with that.

Authorized user debit cards do work. I've been doing it since around June or so, and I even added a new one this month.

I had an issue where I wasn't able to add my PayPal debit card a while ago, February. I left it alone for a few months and came back. I was able to add it fine. I don't know what changed in the interim.

Happy Oct 22, 2015 11:43 am

Originally Posted by neony77 (Post 25600090)
FYI - I know for a fact that the serve loads didn't count towards the $30K to hit SPG gold when I tried it a couple of months ago (still had soft serve then) but now after the redcard demise back on VIPserve. Loaded a couple of times using my SPG card..hopefully they count towards the $30K spend but based on my experience I doubt it. (If you look at your pdf statement towards the end they clearly state how much of your spend has qualified towards the $30K for SPG gold)

Someone else asked about serve loads counting towards $6500 minimum towards OBC - based on my experience it didn't count (again this was a few months ago so not sure if it is different now)

Based on reading numerous data points over the past 6 months, here is my observation on how the load would count.

1) in a majority cases, the loads do count towards meeting minimum spend to earn the INITIAL bonuses. There are a few exceptions but I forgot whether they were all related to business cards or just card specific.

2) Virtually all subsequent spend requirements, be it to qualify a status, earn EQM, or the meeting the threshold spend like the 6500 OBC, the loads DO NOT COUNT.

GetawaysRus Oct 22, 2015 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by NCianflone (Post 25600390)
Anyone having trouble adding Paypal debit card to Serve? I just moved my wife's account from RedCard to Serve and when i try to add her paypal debit card which is an AU card from my account it says "The card entered is not available for registration." It was registered just fine on her RedCard a week ago.

I'm another new convert from RB to Serve. Still waiting for my OneVIP to arrive in the mail. (And oh my gosh, this thread is 171 pages. I can see the flames now when some of us new Serve-ites start asking questions.)

Anyway, many moons ago I had a BB card. I remember that I had difficulty when I tried to add my PP Biz DC to BB. I got a message that additional info was needed. I remember speaking with a BB CSR and that I was told to scan both the debit card and my drivers license, email the info, and then call back so that my email could be matched up to my account. After I did that, it was smooth sailing.

I know that MS rule #1 is "Do not call!!" But if you are getting nowhere, you may have to in order to straighten this out.

tree100 Oct 22, 2015 2:44 pm

Just tried to load $500 to a temp serve card at FD. After swiping the serve the cashier got a "Denied" error before I even was able to swipe VGC. She thought maybe $500 was too much for a load transaction so we tried to load $400. Still denied.

Is there a reason the load would be denied before even attempting to swipe the funding source? The original load to this was $495 when purchased and nothing since then, so I haven't reached the $1K max yet. Perhaps somebody already did a load at this store today? Is there still a limit to $500/day/store?

groundhog Oct 22, 2015 3:03 pm

Is there any use of online debit loads to Serve now?

Mamibear Oct 22, 2015 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by groundhog (Post 25602531)
Is there any use of online debit loads to Serve now?

useful for those with bank DCs that require spending certain amount per month to earn rewards.

ktm19 Oct 22, 2015 4:16 pm

Anyone that switched back to Serve last week get their card yet?

acefspadez Oct 22, 2015 4:22 pm

got mine yesterday and loaded once today.

Carl Oct 22, 2015 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by ktm19 (Post 25602870)

Yep. Arrived yesterday and I loaded $2,500 today. Amazingly easier then dealing with TGT, where I was down to one store and one employee that would load prepaid REDcard without a major hassle. Such a breeze being able to go to any cashier at WMT, and the register process is much faster than TGT.

isriam Oct 22, 2015 4:42 pm

Got mine 3 days ago. Monday? Loaded 5k so far.

groundhog Oct 22, 2015 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 25602740)
useful for those with bank DCs that require spending certain amount per month to earn rewards.

no cash back for UFB Direct cards?

Chelski Oct 22, 2015 7:02 pm

yes showed up yesterday.

ktm19 Oct 22, 2015 7:42 pm

Got an email the other day that said "Thank You for Activating Your Card" even though I have not received it yet. Of course I logged into my account to check and it prompted me to activate the card, so it hasn't actually been activated. Will give them a call if it doesn't show up in a few days I guess.

odin99 Oct 22, 2015 7:57 pm

went on a hunt for the 'old' serve cards (card # 3751 71xxx...). found a store with a stash of super 'old' serve cards. they have a purchase price of $2.95, but no monthly fee with any direct deposit activity. it required a $10 min (Cash only) load before i could purchase ($12.95 total). I didn't have much cash on me, so i only got two. but perhaps i should go back and get more. Not as good of a deal as the most recent generation of 'old' serves which had no purchase price (and also the montly fee w/any deposit activity)

it wasn't a CVS store - all those around me are stocked full of the new cards.

Joshy119 Oct 22, 2015 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by odin99 (Post 25603538)
went on a hunt for the 'old' serve cards (card # 3751 71xxx...). found a store with a stash of super 'old' serve cards. they have a purchase price of $2.95, but no monthly fee with any direct deposit activity. it required a $10 min (Cash only) load before i could purchase ($12.95 total). I didn't have much cash on me, so i only got two. but perhaps i should go back and get more. Not as good of a deal as the most recent generation of 'old' serves which had no purchase price (and also the montly fee w/any deposit activity)

Not understanding much of this

Carl Oct 22, 2015 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Joshy119 (Post 25603584)
Not understanding much of this

I'm still not clear if there's any advantage to the old cards vs. ONE VIP. I contemplated getting one of the old ones at WAG but didn't wanna pay a fee.

Flyby01 Oct 22, 2015 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Carl (Post 25603596)
I'm still not clear if there's any advantage to the old cards vs. ONE VIP. I contemplated getting one of the old ones at WAG but didn't wanna pay a fee.

IIRC, someone posted earlier that the 1VIP does not have AMEX offers. This is not true. Both the old Serve and 1VIP get the AMEX offers.

poisonsag Oct 22, 2015 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by odin99 (Post 25603538)

Can you load any CC on these 'old' serve cards starting with 3751 71xxx?

odin99 Oct 22, 2015 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by poisonsag (Post 25603673)

no, unfortunately not. it was one thing I wanted to test out - now i have the answer.

i'm not a huge MS'er, so that's why i wanted an old one. i don't want to have to load $500 every mo. i know that might be silly to you all but i'm really only MSing to meet min spending bonuses, not as a regular monthly thing - so there might be months i don't want to load.

Carl Oct 22, 2015 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by odin99 (Post 25603717)
no, unfortunately not. it was one thing I wanted to test out - now i have the answer.

i'm not a huge MS'er, so that's why i wanted an old one. i don't want to have to load $500 every mo. i know that might be silly to you all but i'm really only MSing to meet min spending bonuses, not as a regular monthly thing - so there might be months i don't want to load.

Just keep your balance at zero and you won't be charged a fee.

Phantom707 Oct 22, 2015 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by poisonsag (Post 25603673)

You should be able to use an Amex card to load online.

odin99 Oct 23, 2015 1:07 am

Originally Posted by Carl (Post 25603725)
Just keep your balance at zero and you won't be charged a fee.

i didn't know that.
so, if i don't have any activity even if the card is active = no fee?

OldPainless Oct 23, 2015 4:34 am

Applying for Serve

If you need to change any details in your application (address, phone number, etc) just call in and cancel your application with a phone agent, wait 24 hours, and apply again. This happened to me and it worked fine.

flew-d-coop Oct 23, 2015 8:54 am

Originally Posted by konaflyer (Post 24940397)
Thank you so much for answering my question!!! Has anyone met the minimum spend on an Amex business gold card with the serve card? I would appreciate any replies.

I too would like to know if serve online loads count toward the spending bonus for the Amex business gold card?

Happy Oct 23, 2015 9:26 am

Originally Posted by acefspadez (Post 25602898)
got mine yesterday and loaded once today.

Originally Posted by Carl (Post 25602965)
Yep. Arrived yesterday and I loaded $2,500 today. Amazingly easier then dealing with TGT, where I was down to one store and one employee that would load prepaid REDcard without a major hassle. Such a breeze being able to go to any cashier at WMT, and the register process is much faster than TGT.

Originally Posted by isriam (Post 25602968)
Got mine 3 days ago. Monday? Loaded 5k so far.

Originally Posted by ktm19 (Post 25603509)
Got an email the other day that said "Thank You for Activating Your Card" even though I have not received it yet. Of course I logged into my account to check and it prompted me to activate the card, so it hasn't actually been activated. Will give them a call if it doesn't show up in a few days I guess.

Do you mind to share the registration dates and your locations?

I switched DH's on the 15th at first by error to the New Serve. Once I discovered the error I closed it and register the One VIP. Both were promptly approved. However there is not any email notice yet on when the card is sent. Going to the NEW Serve cards site to log in, it pulls up the OneVIP and prompt for Activation which of course can't be done.

Another thing that bothers me is, our mail delivery currently is very erratic as the original carrier has some kind of injury and now the route is served by random carriers who happen to have time to pick up the slack that day... Misdelivered mails happen on a daily basis. SIGH.

NCianflone Oct 23, 2015 12:19 pm

I just got my wife's new Serve card the other day and went to load at the WM Kate today. When trying to load it showed up with a Serve load fee. I forget the exact amount but i think it was about $3.74. I was in a rush so i couldnt play around and just declined but what would cause a fee to show up and how do i get rid of it. Never seen a fee on my Old Serve card.

Phantom707 Oct 23, 2015 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by NCianflone (Post 25606530)
I just got my wife's new Serve card the other day and went to load at the WM Kate today. When trying to load it showed up with a Serve load fee. I forget the exact amount but i think it was about $3.74. I was in a rush so i couldnt play around and just declined but what would cause a fee to show up and how do i get rid of it. Never seen a fee on my Old Serve card.

What kind of new Serve card is it? Some on the new versions have a fee for reloading.

NCianflone Oct 23, 2015 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25606596)
What kind of new Serve card is it? Some on the new versions have a fee for reloading.

I guess its the normal one and has fees. I could have sworn i signed up for the One VIP. So can i just close the account and then open a One Vip even though the account is only 9 days old?

Mamibear Oct 23, 2015 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by NCianflone (Post 25606617)
I guess its the normal one and has fees. I could have sworn i signed up for the One VIP. So can i just close the account and then open a One Vip even though the account is only 9 days old?

Yes you can and re-register for 1VIP immediately as long as your current account has balance of zero with no pending payables.

Amex For Children Of Africa Oct 23, 2015 3:17 pm

First time loading at Walmart in a while, and when I said I'd like to load $500, the cashier said "damn that's a lot you tryin to get me fired?!" Man I miss target already...

nkp46 Oct 23, 2015 4:50 pm

I got a new blue version serve today which charges 3.74 at walmart to reload.

Shall I close this card immediately and open a new OneVIP version?
or I can call CSR to ask them help convert to OneVIP version? Is this ever possible?

Phantom707 Oct 23, 2015 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by nkp46 (Post 25607634)

or I can call CSR to ask them help convert to OneVIP version? Is this ever possible?

Close immediately and open a new one. From my own experience and from the stories of others, customer service agents can't help in conversion.

cvasara Oct 23, 2015 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25607782)
Close immediately and open a new one. From my own experience and from the stories of others, customer service agents can't help in conversion.

So, I assume that if you had this card, you would pay that fee, plus the 3.75 fee to by the 'debit' card? But that doesn't apply if you can find the 'old' Serve card?
I have RedBird cards, and since that has dried up, the RB has to be cancelled before applying for the Serve card?

Then I would ask, can you load the Serve card with the same debit cards that we loaded Redcard with?

Sorry for seems to be newbee questions, I do use BlueBird and soon to deplete, Redcard.

Thanks

lumangoy Oct 23, 2015 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by cvasara (Post 25607836)
So, I assume that if you had this card, you would pay that fee, plus the 3.75 fee to by the 'debit' card? But that doesn't apply if you can find the 'old' Serve card?
I have RedBird cards, and since that has dried up, the RB has to be cancelled before applying for the Serve card?

Then I would ask, can you load the Serve card with the same debit cards that we loaded Redcard with?

Sorry for seems to be newbee questions, I do use BlueBird and soon to deplete, Redcard.

Thanks

At WM, you can only load with same GCs you use for BB.

cvasara Oct 23, 2015 6:38 pm

Thank You for the info. That pretty much puts CVS out of my buying cycle.

GetawaysRus Oct 23, 2015 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by nkp46 (Post 25607634)

Same problem here. My wife and I applied for a OneVIP card on the same day (I submittted back to back apps) using the exact same website. She got a OneVIP in the mail today, but I received a Blue Serve. (Maybe that's understandable. She's a lot better looking than me.)

Had to call customer service in the Philippines. When I realized that I was talking to someone in the Philippines, I asked to be transferred to a rep in the USA. I was told that was impossible and was offered a transfer to a rep in India. I decided to stick with the Philippines.

The first CSR was flummoxed. He closed the Blue Serve, then instructed me to reapply for a OneVIP with a different email address and phone number than my initial app. When I followed his instructions, the website refused me. I got a message that I already had an account. He then told me that I would have to wait 30 days before reapplying. I didn't want to accept that. This was AmEx's mistake, not mine, and I insisted that AmEx fix it.

Fortunately, he accidentally hung up on me while he was trying to figure out what to do. So I called back. CSR #2 did much better. She told me to reapply using the SAME email and phone number as the original app and it went thru fine.

Next problem: I then set up my wife's account. Linked to our bank account without problem. But the website refused to allow me to link a debit card. So CSR #2 called tech support. Turned out that this debit card was still linked to my old (closed) REDcard. They undid the link to REDcard and I was then able to link the debit card to her new OneVIP account.

Now I just have to wait for my OneVIP to arrive. C'mon guys, it's almost the end of October....

Irish80 Oct 23, 2015 7:52 pm

I'm still a bit confused after reading the wiki. What is the major difference between the blue serve and the oneVIP serve?

dukerau Oct 23, 2015 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Irish80 (Post 25608066)
I'm still a bit confused after reading the wiki. What is the major difference between the blue serve and the oneVIP serve?

New blue version costs $3.74 to load at Walmart. Old blue version is very similar (identical?) to One VIP, but you can't get old blue version anymore.

Irish80 Oct 23, 2015 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by dukerau (Post 25608081)
New blue version costs $3.74 to load at Walmart. Old blue version is very similar (identical?) to One VIP, but you can't get old blue version anymore.

Thank you

cloudybw Oct 23, 2015 10:29 pm

I am thinking to switch to Citi ATT access card for (soft) serve online loading. However, I have never verified the card with Serve.

1) What are the chances I will not be able to load online after the first $500 load?
2) If I choose to comply and send my ID+card, being a non-Amex card, what are the chances it will be denied (though we all know it is fine for soft serve cards)?
3) If I choose not to comply, may I switch back to my old Amex card for online load/backup funding or am I locked for future activities?

Thanks