FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

ChrisFlyer66 Nov 17, 2015 8:01 am

Originally Posted by dealsphotog (Post 25726424)
My wife and I were grand-fathered with Soft-serve. So had no issues with online credit card load of $1500 per month on each till now.
But today, my wife got an email from Amex stating that, they would be charging $4.95 monthly fee. The only way they would waive the fee is by having a Direct Deposit money.

I can't get DD since we dont get any payroll. Any easy way to do a Direct Deposit?

Email Content:

"We are writing to let you know about the following changes we are making to your American Express Serve Softcard Account:

New Monthly Fee & Fee Waiver :
Starting on January 6, 2016, there will be a $4.95 Monthly Fee for your American Express Serve Softcard Account. This fee will be waived if you Direct Deposit money onto your Account during a monthly statement period.

Early Direct Deposit:
Early Direct Deposit is now available for your American Express Serve Softcard Account. Early Direct Deposit allows you to get your paycheck or government benefits up to 2 days before payday1. "

Originally Posted by ZzzzX (Post 25726569)
Got the same email.

Hmm, I have the old Soft-Serve, and I did NOT get that email. I'd gladly pay $4.95 per month to keep me card though.

crapz1 Nov 17, 2015 9:11 am

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66 (Post 25727181)
Hmm, I have the old Soft-Serve, and I did NOT get that email. I'd gladly pay $4.95 per month to keep me card though.

They're sending that e-mail in waves. I finally got that email a couple days ago, but this was almost a full week after reports of other softserve users getting the e-mail. Curious what would qualify as a DD. I know PP works, but I actually use my PP account quite a bit for ebay, and occasionally load a mycash card, so I want to stay away from any type of bank transfers (already got warned once).

Jim Becks Nov 17, 2015 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 25692317)
AMEX AMEX were in question. Non-AMEX AMEX have never been in doubt and many still earn spend points as well.

This is good. I just signed up for 6 New Amex's This Week, so I have to reach a lot of Min Spends. I dont have the patience or risk-taking ability to run around in stores, so I'll use mine and my wife's Serve Loads ($2k per Month) , And Square to reach These. I'm an underwear MS'er, as in I dont like leaving my living room.

Jim Becks Nov 17, 2015 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Carl (Post 25680935)
Seems like using Square would be much cheaper and easier.

^This. To each his own, but Im not into going to 1 store, buying Cards, going to another, jumping through hoops, hopping on 1 foot, taking 7 steps backward, and 2 steps to the right, hoping that this "might" work with this particular employee or manager. You Know what? It might work, but it might not. Not for me. What if it doesn't work? Im not here trying to thread a needle, hoping the store manager juuuuuust might like me.

I MS with wearing only underwar, from my living room. Me and my wife do our Monthly $1K Serve Loads from Amex, and just do the rest from, yes, Square. We both have "businesses" and invoice each other. Never had a problem yet. I only wish to do this type of "living-room" MS'ing, because I have no desire to be at the mercy of store employees who may or may not cooperate. This way it's all but guaranteed, And if not, oh well, no harm no foul

HonoraryOrange Nov 17, 2015 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jim Becks (Post 25731037)
^This. To each his own, but Im not into going to 1 store, buying Cards, going to another, jumping through hoops, hopping on 1 foot, taking 7 steps backward, and 2 steps to the right, hoping that this "might" work with this particular employee or manager. You Know what? It might work, but it might not. Not for me. What if it doesn't work? Im not here trying to thread a needle, hoping the store manager juuuuuust might like me.

I MS with wearing only underwar, from my living room. Me and my wife do our Monthly $1K Serve Loads from Amex, and just do the rest from, yes, Square. We both have "businesses" and invoice each other. Never had a problem yet. I only wish to do this type of "living-room" MS'ing, because I have no desire to be at the mercy of store employees who may or may not cooperate. This way it's all but guaranteed, And if not, oh well, no harm no foul

Square will eventually catch on, they actually identify people who load tons of 'prepaid cards' and you'll get one of those review emails.

Carl Nov 17, 2015 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by HonoraryOrange (Post 25731111)
Square will eventually catch on, they actually identify people who load tons of 'prepaid cards' and you'll get one of those review emails.

He's not talking about buying or using prepaid cards at all.

Jim Becks Nov 17, 2015 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by HonoraryOrange (Post 25731111)

Not looking to load anything, sir. I simply bill my wife, and she Pays with her CC. Money goes to my bank account. Simply, Square lets me accept CC Payments. I have to Pay 2.75%

Jim Becks Nov 17, 2015 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Carl (Post 25731122)
He's not talking about buying or using prepaid cards at all.

^ Exactly this. I just bill my wife (who is an AU) through my "business", and she "Pays" my "business", AKA "me", and we reach Spend Minimums. A bit pricey, yes, but it hs worked so far. I even went so far as emailing Square, asking them if this is permitted and they claim they have absolutely no restrictions on billing relatives, just cannot bill yourself.

Mamibear Nov 17, 2015 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jim Becks (Post 25731148)
^ Exactly this. I just bill my wife (who is an AU) through my "business", and she "Pays" my "business", AKA "me", and we reach Spend Minimums. A bit pricey, yes, but it hs worked so far. I even went so far as emailing Square, asking them if this is permitted and they claim they have absolutely no restrictions on billing relatives, just cannot bill yourself.

lucky you! I know of several people who swiped their CCs or AUCCs of anyone else in their HH who were shutdown because Square consider it as swiping their own CCs which goes against their T&C.

Phantom707 Nov 17, 2015 10:09 pm

Here's a question. Let's say a person just recently moved back to the US after living abroad and tried signing up for a Serve card. That person predictably is asked to submit identity verification documents. However, a proof of address is also requested, and that person just hasn't been back in the US for long enough to have a utility bill, a government letter, etc. What should that person do?

ILGfly Nov 17, 2015 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25732131)
Here's a question. Let's say a person just recently moved back to the US after living abroad and tried signing up for a Serve card. That person predictably is asked to submit identity verification documents. However, a proof of address is also requested, and that person just hasn't been back in the US for long enough to have a utility bill, a government letter, etc. What should that person do?

They have no US CC statements? The one time I had to do this a CC statement was allowed as a verification document.

Phantom707 Nov 17, 2015 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by ILGfly (Post 25732273)
They have no US CC statements? The one time I had to do this a CC statement was allowed as a verification document.

They do but not for that address. Just think of it as the person just came back from overseas and is living with relatives for a while. The main issue is that the email requesting the verification documents says that it needs to be received within 10 days.

Mamibear Nov 18, 2015 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25732352)
They do but not for that address. Just think of it as the person just came back from overseas and is living with relatives for a while. The main issue is that the email requesting the verification documents says that it needs to be received within 10 days.

is the person registering for Serve using the relative's address? If that's the case and he/she can't present any document as proof of his/her address, am3x may not approve the registration. Is it possible for the person to forward mails from his/her old address that is shown on their CC statements? That might work but they're taking the risk in getting the card forwarded to them at their relative's address because that is where the card will be sent to if application is approved.

IME, if one registers and use an address that is not the same as what's on the national database, there are series of questions to verify the person's identity like street address they lived in a certain year, what mortgage company they did business years ago, the name of the county they lived years ago, etc. If the person registering for the card does not give the correct answers to one or all of their questions, their application is denied. But if they answer all questions correctly, the card is approved and they get it in 7 to 10 business days.

Chelski Nov 18, 2015 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25732131)

The person generally will have a lease or mortgage for that address. otherwise jut wait for a statement or other mail to arrive. This can be figured out on your own.

exarkun Nov 18, 2015 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Jim Becks (Post 25731148)

Will be fun when your "business" gets audited by the IRS.

Cohall Nov 18, 2015 10:14 am

For those of us still using SoftServe with any credit card for funding, I just got an email that a monthly fee of $4.95 will start being charged to accounts if you don't have direct deposit set up. I guess the question now is whether 1,500 points are worth more than $4.95...

dukerau Nov 18, 2015 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Cohall (Post 25734544)
For those of us still using SoftServe with any credit card for funding, I just got an email that a monthly fee of $4.95 will start being charged to accounts if you don't have direct deposit set up. I guess the question now is whether 1,500 points are worth more than $4.95...

Yes, $1,500 in spend is worth $4.95. But you could just set up direct deposit. If that's not feasible for you, some back transfers might count as a DD. And it's also possible that Serve will count loads as direct deposits. On the other Serve flavors that have monthly fees that are waived with direct deposits, loads seem to count.

heyeaglefn Nov 18, 2015 11:32 am

Must not read this thread much, it has been posted at least 4 times already.

Chelski Nov 18, 2015 12:49 pm

It's no longer worth it with that outrageous fee. What a rip off!?!?!?? :rolleyes:

Mamibear Nov 18, 2015 1:54 pm

for those with bank issued DCs that they earn rewards while loading to Serve, that's an additional $1.5K for total of $3K with no fees. If I have to pay the fee, I will, but I've set up DD for $1 on each account that will take effect in Jan 2016.

GatorSmiley Nov 18, 2015 5:42 pm

That does suck! However, being able to load an additional 500 per month is still worth it to me. It is basically like buying an additional $500 GC for $4.95 each month (admittedly a dollar more than I usually pay), but at least I get to load it automatically. Plus, softserve allows me to use Visa, which gives me a better ROI than my Amex.

I would be lovely if GC loads count as DD, but that would seem odd.

pao2dapao Nov 19, 2015 11:10 am

took a couple month hiatus from MS. Is there anything different with Amex Serve? I had the green one before cancelling. I'm looking into getting back to it again after signing up for the SPG Chase 50k card. Is serve not letting cc's that are not amex anymore? Any other new methods people are doing? i need to meet the 4k spending for this card (doesnt matter if i earn points or not)

ChrisFlyer66 Nov 19, 2015 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 25735809)
for those with bank issued DCs that they earn rewards while loading to Serve, that's an additional $1.5K for total of $3K with no fees. If I have to pay the fee, I will, but I've set up DD for $1 on each account that will take effect in Jan 2016.

I load with my paypal debit card and earn $15 cash back/month. I think this is safe as long as I don't load paypal with the mycash cards (which I don't).

spamman808 Nov 19, 2015 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by pao2dapao (Post 25740715)
took a couple month hiatus from MS. Is there anything different with Amex Serve? I had the green one before cancelling. I'm looking into getting back to it again after signing up for the SPG Chase 50k card. Is serve not letting cc's that are not amex anymore? Any other new methods people are doing? i need to meet the 4k spending for this card (doesnt matter if i earn points or not)

No experience with Soft serve (I got in the game too late), but with regular Serve only Amex is allowed for CC loads. You could do the normal buy GC and load it to your Serve route. NW Buxx>Serve could be an idea too.

MisterEdF Nov 19, 2015 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25721340)
Yes. I've done it before. And Amazon Payments also worked as a direct deposit the last time I trued (summer of 2014).

Like I said ... some do and some don't. Until someone tries PayPal->Serve to see if it is DD we won't know for sure.

Edit: Just tried linking my PayPal account to my Serve account per Serve instructions for DD and PayPal rejects it. How else would I be able top push PayPal funds into Serve account?

xyhseu Nov 19, 2015 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by craider (Post 25721987)
You can load Serve at Rite Aid and Dollar General now per the Serve iPhone app!

Does anyone know if Dollar General has any limitation on the store such as $500/day/store this kind of limitation?

Carl Nov 19, 2015 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by MisterEdF (Post 25742296)
Just tried linking my PayPal account to my Serve account per Serve instructions for DD and PayPal rejects it. How else would I be able top push PayPal funds into Serve account?

Link your PP debit card as a funding source for Serve. You can add up to $1k monthly (up to $200/day) on your own or automatically and then designate the debit card as backup funding so that when you make purchases with Serve and have a zero balance, it will pull the exact amount from PP.

prech Nov 20, 2015 1:17 am

Searched and read through the thread, didn't see this asked -- for those who load $1000/monthly with their AMEX cards, do you bill pay back to that same account? If so, how long have you been doing so?

I'm concerned the MSing might be too obvious in such a scenario, so if it's more prudent to bill pay to an intermediary, e.g. a bank account, instead...

Phantom707 Nov 20, 2015 2:18 am

Originally Posted by prech (Post 25744241)
Searched and read through the thread, didn't see this asked -- for those who load $1000/monthly with their AMEX cards, do you bill pay back to that same account? If so, how long have you been doing so?

I'm concerned the MSing might be too obvious in such a scenario, so if it's more prudent to bill pay to an intermediary, e.g. a bank account, instead...

Yes, since May. This is a Fidelity Amex, and I switch it between two Serve accounts. I pay from both for a total of $2000 per month.

BionicBuk Nov 20, 2015 10:11 am

subscribe

subscribe

zackwz Nov 20, 2015 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25744386)
Yes, since May. This is a Fidelity Amex, and I switch it between two Serve accounts. I pay from both for a total of $2000 per month.

You can do that? Do you need to provide card/id scans for both accounts?

Phantom707 Nov 20, 2015 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by zackwz (Post 25746487)
You can do that? Do you need to provide card/id scans for both accounts?

Yes and yes.

benosufan Nov 20, 2015 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 25735809)

Exactly...I called serve awhile back when I got the email. Minimum DD is $1 to keep from paying the monthly fee for those of left with softserve. And I assume we are few and far between because quite a few people fell for the red bird fiasco.

zackwz Nov 20, 2015 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25746926)
Yes and yes.

one card only or same card different names (ie you and your spouse)?

Phantom707 Nov 20, 2015 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by zackwz (Post 25747770)
one card only or same card different names (ie you and your spouse)?

I wish I had a spouse or a girlfriend. Ladies ;).

Same card number, different physical cards, different names on said physical cards. You almost inevitably need to upload a picture of the front of the card to the secure document center, and the picture needs to show all of the relevant details (card number, name, expiration date). The name needs to match the name of the account holder, so unless you're good with Photoshop, you need another card.

refundme22 Nov 20, 2015 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by xyhseu (Post 25743715)
Does anyone know if Dollar General has any limitation on the store such as $500/day/store this kind of limitation?

I just loaded a OneVIP Serve card at DG with 1k of VGC. I asked the CSR if their was any limit and she stated she didnt know if any limit.

mhdena Nov 20, 2015 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by xyhseu (Post 25743715)

This is an extreme YMMV at each location example. The morning person may have a limit, the evening person may not.

Even places that may deny me, may like you.

Only one way to find out.

noassumptions Nov 20, 2015 6:49 pm

For the phantom hobbiests of three days ago: oldish blue = true. My stores' POS's query "fee or free". Decisions, decisions. Bye-bye PoWM!

Phantom707 Nov 20, 2015 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by noassumptions (Post 25748647)
For the phantom hobbiests of three days ago: oldish blue = true. My stores' POS's query "fee or free". Decisions, decisions. Bye-bye PoWM!

I'll accept being wrong. It's good news that I am.

brgr Nov 21, 2015 10:22 am

Serve Monthly Fee

Just received an email from serve - I'm a Softcard/ISIS/whatever Serve member. Here's the text:

Hello,

We are writing to let you know about the following changes we are making to your American Express Serve Softcard Account:

New Monthly Fee & Fee Waiver
Starting on January 6, 2016, there will be a $4.95 Monthly Fee for your American Express Serve Softcard Account. This fee will be waived if you Direct Deposit money onto your Account during a monthly statement period.

Early Direct Deposit
Early Direct Deposit is now available for your American Express Serve Softcard Account. Early Direct Deposit allows you to get your paycheck or government benefits up to 2 days before payday1.

Click here to access your American Express Serve Softcard Account. If you have any questions, our Customer Care team is here to assist you 24/7.

Thank you,

The American Express Serve Team