FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

anubond005 Oct 15, 2015 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by acefspadez (Post 25569620)
The Wiki says Family Dollar is limited to $500 load per day per store total. Is that still true or outdated info that needs to be updated?

Everyone had a different experience at FD so there's no fix answer. You can do multiple load at different locations for sure i.e $500 per store. Some people were able to do more than $500 at one location and some failed. Plz remember if you fail if you have to go through the the whole experience of contacting FD corporate to get your money back. It can take anywhere between 7-30 days. So try at your own risk.

Flyby01 Oct 15, 2015 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by anubond005 (Post 25569909)
Everyone had a different experience at FD so there's no fix answer. You can do multiple load at different locations for sure i.e $500 per store. Some people were able to do more than $500 at one location and some failed. Plz remember if you fail if you have to go through the the whole experience of contacting FD corporate to get your money back. It can take anywhere between 7-30 days. So try at your own risk.

I tried this once but the second load failed before I can even swipe the DC payment, which was a good thing. Otherwise, like you said, it would have been a PITA.

Chelski Oct 15, 2015 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by anubond005 (Post 25568528)
I agree with u. M sure RB to serve will make it worse. Let's wait and watch. I hope Amex add more stores other than WM otherwise dooms day isn't too far.

Who's gonna start the White House petition for TG to accept Serve debit loads? :D

Not many FDs in my area but I figure I'll have more load opps when traveling.

ericdabbs Oct 15, 2015 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Flyby01 (Post 25570205)
I tried this once but the second load failed before I can even swipe the DC payment, which was a good thing. Otherwise, like you said, it would have been a PITA.

The new system doesn't allow you to immediately swipe your card back to refund the funds to your card?

rlee1180 Oct 15, 2015 3:05 pm

I did some VGC loading last week and this week, here is my experience:

Four FD stores in my area (California). One only loads cash to Serve. Second won't accept VGC that doesn't have my name it.

With the other two. I was able to do a multiple load last week. On Monday I tried it again at both stores, and both stores denied me. When I tried the second load (used a lower amount that $500), the register had a "Potential Fraud" alert and denied the load. So I only loaded $500 at each store.

mallomar Oct 15, 2015 3:48 pm

Loading at FD in NYC?

Originally Posted by dsr1205 (Post 25118192)
I tried 2 FD today. No debit card load allowed. Both times the cashier shouted out asking another employee if it was allowed and they said no. Trying 8 more stores. I'm assuming these stores in BK have been hit hard by actual fraud more than manufactured spenders. I'll report back in a few days.

Any update on this? Another member of the RB->Serve exodus (and previously did the opposite trip) and am thinking about stocking up on personalized VGC to load at FD as it's on my way to work, but if it doesn't work I'll refrain from buying. Thanks.

Happy Oct 15, 2015 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by anagoree (Post 25569479)
They are two different cards. I could not find 1VIP card in store.
But, as i said in my previous post. I could not find much difference between two other then
1. Buy fee of $2.95
2. ATM withdrawal fee of $2-$2.5
It has same monthly fee of $1 and waive fee if you add $500 from cash, bank account, debit card or credit card.Direct Deposit.

Retail card version can load money at:
Reload at CVS/pharmacy, Family Dollar, Walmart and participating 7-ELEVENŽ locations

A Major and CRITICAL Difference is, 1VIP the load at store is FREE. The new Serve available at store has a fee up to $3.95 to load at store. Unless you can find the old temp cards starts with 3751 71, you would not get the Old Serve.

See this post in RedCard thread for the details.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25570495-post10993.html

And this on AMEX Serve site

https://www.serve.com/legal.html

So for those who try to get a temp card at CVS, be sure you get the one that has the correct prefix numbers, else you would wound up getting a new Serve that costs money to load at store.

RyanNYNJ Oct 15, 2015 5:47 pm

Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015)

reloadits are way better than going to fd. fd is worse than walmart

Carl Oct 15, 2015 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 25571190)
A Major and CRITICAL Difference is, 1VIP the load at store is FREE. The new Serve available at store has a fee up to $3.95 to load at store. Unless you can find the old temp cards starts with 3751 71, you would not get the Old Serve.

Are there any pros/cons of Old Serve vs. One VIP? All of the WAG locations around here still seem to carry only Old Serve (all of the other retailers only have Green Serve).

Happy Oct 15, 2015 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by RyanNYNJ (Post 25571201)

Problem is, only in very few locales one could buy reloadits with credit cards. The majority of us has to resort to other vehicles and that means Gebit and WM/FD.

st1575 Oct 15, 2015 6:22 pm

Can anyone provide a definitive answer as to whether loading Serve with the US Bank Flexperks Amex triggers a CA?

pritomd Oct 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Are we sure that a temp card can load up to $1000 in separate visits without counting against the total? When I got RB, only $500 worked (and the t&c and stuff made it seem like any more than $500 wouldn't work, either). I know they're different programs but still both from Amex so wondering if people really can load $1000 on temp card without affecting monthly total.

mulliganman30 Oct 15, 2015 8:55 pm

O.K. So I was searching from this card in the wiki: Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx

While I was searching for this I came across this card: http://www.neamb.com/finance/acceler...of-america.htm

It looks like it pays out 1.25 points per purchase and carries no annual fee. Anyone tried it for online loading of serve?

I am trying to find what the top say 4-5 options are for points earning for online loading of serve.

anagoree Oct 15, 2015 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 25571190)

You are correct. But unfortunately the card number is inside the package. Unless you buy and load temp card, you will not know what number on the card inside your package. Easy way to check is to look for "CASH Reload fee" listed on the package.
If its says $0, you should be safe.

Mamibear Oct 16, 2015 5:47 am

Originally Posted by RyanNYNJ (Post 25571201)

Good luck using the RL safe; compared to loading OVs at FD, the latter is a walk in the park (for me).

BrownHP800 Oct 16, 2015 6:52 am

Maybe I am just lucky but I have had 0 problems loading at the local FD. One of the clerks even knows me now and she always says "I know what you want, $500 right?" Not sure if that is good or bad that she recognizes me.

trouble747 Oct 16, 2015 7:56 am

There's no problem with getting the green card, right? (I'm switching back to serve from RB).

CockyDoc16 Oct 16, 2015 8:02 am

Originally Posted by trouble747 (Post 25573432)
There's no problem with getting the green card, right? (I'm switching back to serve from RB).

Since you're in TX, you're fine. No load fees and no monthly fees. ^

pritomd Oct 16, 2015 8:43 am

Which flavor of Serve is sold in Walmarts? Is it 'New Blue Version'? The one that has a 3.95 load fee? FM says that currently can't load it at WM...why would WM sell New Blue if you can't load it there?

Any place that sells OneVIP temp cards?

And repeating my question above..is it confirmed you can put $1000 on the temp card without affecting your monthly deposit total? The reason I ask is my RB temp card stopped me once I already put $500 (and the terms seem in line with this).

Gimpyknee Oct 16, 2015 8:46 am

Not presently aware of any place that sells temp OneVIP. Online app only.

zzrayzz Oct 16, 2015 9:25 am

Originally Posted by BrownHP800 (Post 25573155)
Maybe I am just lucky but I have had 0 problems loading at the local FD. One of the clerks even knows me now and she always says "I know what you want, $500 right?" Not sure if that is good or bad that she recognizes me.

same... and my FD is also located in a not so safe area... but it is also located next to a S&S....!

DaveInLA Oct 16, 2015 10:03 am

I used to have the old Serve app when I had the original Serve a year ago. I've since deleted that app, and will now apply for Serve OneVIP. Those of you who have gotten approved for OneVIP, will that old app work?

Also, I plan on creating subaccounts to take advantage of AMEX Offers. I know the emails have to be unique for the subaccounts, but can the same email (and phone number) be used for subaccounts for different primary accounts? For example, I manage my wife's and mom's prepaid cards. Can I use my same info to be a subaccount under my mom's Serve and my wife's Serve?

NoonRadar Oct 16, 2015 10:22 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 25574110)
Also, I plan on creating subaccounts to take advantage of AMEX Offers. I know the emails have to be unique for the subaccounts, but can the same email (and phone number) be used for subaccounts for different primary accounts? For example, I manage my wife's and mom's prepaid cards. Can I use my same info to be a subaccount under my mom's Serve and my wife's Serve?

It was a while ago when I added a couple of subaccounts to one of my Redbirds (just for testing, closed them shortly after). If I recall correctly, I could use the same phone nr but not as the same type in both, i.e. it had to be chosen as cell nr in one and home nr in the other.

I'm guessing the same should apply to Serve.

DaveInLA Oct 16, 2015 10:28 am

Originally Posted by NoonRadar (Post 25574209)
It was a while ago when I added a couple of subaccounts to one of my Redbirds (just for testing, closed them shortly after). If I recall correctly, I could use the same phone nr but not as the same type in both, i.e. it had to be chosen as cell nr in one and home nr in the other.

I'm guessing the same should apply to Serve.

OK, but can I use that same info to be a sub-user in 2+ people's accounts? I imagine it's OK, but want to be sure.

For example, my primary account with mom and wife subaccounts. My wife's primary account with me and my mom subaccounts. My mom's primary account, me and my wife subaccounts.

Tech_Mo Oct 16, 2015 10:35 am

Just had a rough experience this morning at my local WM, where I have been loading my Serve card without issue for the past 6 months. No working KATEs in my area, so I always have to load at the register. Tried to load like usual using a Metabank VGC, and it wouldn't go through. The cashier then asked me if my card was bank issued and said that they had a new update on their system this morning so it won't accept gift cards anymore. I know this cashier, and she has let me load multiple cards on my previous visits so at the very least she knows what she's doing. I then tried using my bank-issued debit and it went through without a problem.

Anyone else run into this today?

Really hope this was just a one-time thing (possibly the cashier hit decline transaction?)

Edit: Not any of the other common problems (I've run into those before, believe me).

pritomd Oct 16, 2015 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Tech_Mo (Post 25574277)
said that they had a new update on their system this morning so it won't accept gift cards anymore.

has let me load multiple cards on my previous visits

I then tried using my bank-issued debit and it went through without a problem.

Ensue feeling of dread.

missing_link Oct 16, 2015 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by pritomd (Post 25574487)
Ensue feeling of dread.

Additional datapoint: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...6_2015/cw1zz93

If true (and I emphasize if), we'll no doubt be hearing a lot about it very soon.

Mamibear Oct 16, 2015 12:06 pm

I was able to load Serve via registers and there's nothing unusual so there's no reason for alarm. Used NWbuxx, PayPow Visa to load and no issues.

Shapalo Oct 16, 2015 12:07 pm

About to order a OneVIP card, couple questions...

Do you still need to do the "phantom" scan at FD?
Can you do FD reloads at the customer service counter?
Will the $1 fee make your account negative if you don't do a monthly load?

doubleheader Oct 16, 2015 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 25574722)
I was able to load Serve via registers and there's nothing unusual so there's no reason for alarm. Used NWbuxx, PayPow Visa to load and no issues.

Was that today?

missing_link Oct 16, 2015 12:10 pm

I should add that I loaded Metabank VCGs last night at Kate and at registers this morning (to temper any possible alarm).

Mamibear Oct 16, 2015 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Shapalo (Post 25574732)
About to order a OneVIP card, couple questions...

Do you still need to do the "phantom" scan at FD?
Can you do FD reloads at the customer service counter?
Will the $1 fee make your account negative if you don't do a monthly load?

1. what's a phantom scan? are you referring to scanning a VR barcode to initiate the load? if yes, then yes.
2. our FDs don't have a CS counter, I do them at the register lane (there's just 1 to 2 per store here)
3. you will not be charged a monthly fee if you load at least $500 to your account either by DC,CC or in-store loading.

WackNut Oct 16, 2015 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by missing_link (Post 25574692)
Additional datapoint: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...6_2015/cw1zz93

If true (and I emphasize if), we'll no doubt be hearing a lot about it very soon.

Come on its the same person posting the same thing.

Mamibear Oct 16, 2015 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by doubleheader (Post 25574742)
Was that today?

yes at 12:30 pm CST

missing_link Oct 16, 2015 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by WackNut (Post 25574755)
Come on its the same person posting the same thing.

:o:o:o

I didn't even look at the name. I'll show myself out ....

WackNut Oct 16, 2015 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by missing_link (Post 25574763)
:o:o:o

I didn't even look at the name. I'll show myself out ....

Yea but a manager is involved on the reddit post not just a cashier :D

Tech_Mo Oct 16, 2015 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by WackNut (Post 25574775)
Yea but a manager is involved on the reddit post not just a cashier :D

Talked to the manager after they had to do a key turn on the first failed transaction...

Whatever the case, the fact that even this store (which is ghetto as hell and the cashiers never cared about VGC before) is now following this "No VGC" policy and apparently received a memo a week ago worries me. Glad to hear that it was just my experience, and it sounds like the cashier just hit decline rather than approve when I swiped my VGC but didn't want to tell me. Find it odd though that she just said "it isn't allowing it" like it was the POS rather than "we're not allowed to anymore."

danpeake Oct 16, 2015 3:00 pm

Not saying the sky is falling, but these would be ones I would assume still work if WM tried to block gift cards somehow. These aren't "true" no-name Visa gift cards like you get at the grocery store or CVS, right?

Mamibear Oct 16, 2015 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake (Post 25575484)
Not saying the sky is falling, but these would be ones I would assume still work if WM tried to block these somehow. These aren't "true" no-name Visa gift cards like you get a the grocery store or CVS, right?

PayPower Visa is a disposable prepaid and went through w/o issue. If there is a new policy, it may not have trickled down to all branches so I'll continue to load while I can. Instead of focusing on whether the sky is falling or not, I move quickly to drain so I don't end up with a stack of VGCs.

NoonRadar Oct 16, 2015 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 25574237)
OK, but can I use that same info to be a sub-user in 2+ people's accounts? I imagine it's OK, but want to be sure.

For example, my primary account with mom and wife subaccounts. My wife's primary account with me and my mom subaccounts. My mom's primary account, me and my wife subaccounts.

Prob, not sure either. If you try let us know, I don't think anything would happen when trying anyhow, it will prob just not let you save/add the sub acct, which you can try with changing the nr or the type of the phone nr.