FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

diseased Oct 29, 2015 8:42 am

Has anyone tried loading the green Serve with a gc at Dollar General? I switched two RB accounts to OneVip which don't list DG as a load partner and got a green for myself.

kenme1 Oct 29, 2015 8:55 am

Originally Posted by jeepzy3 (Post 25631055)
Macy's amex is slow to post. I loaded $200 from my Macy's Amex to serve, but don't see the transaction yet on Macy's online. Does anyone know if Macy's Amex will show up as purchase or cash advance?

I tried to remove or lower the cash advance limit last night via chat & just ran around in circles. Then the dumb CSR just posts the phone # to call.

Why are you using a Macy's Amex? Get a Fido and get a free $240 year.

sosamo Oct 29, 2015 11:21 am

Hi guys, so I signed up for the Serve (green) card by mistake instead of the OneVip. I see the only major difference is the Monthly fee of $4.95 vs. $1/$0. I don't think it's worth the hassle to cancel (for now). Is there any other differences? I see that the Green Serve list 45k locations to the VIP's 27k location. It doesn't really matter since Walmart is on both of them.

pritomd Oct 29, 2015 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo (Post 25633856)
Hi guys, so I signed up for the Serve (green) card by mistake instead of the OneVip. I see the only major difference is the Monthly fee of $4.95 vs. $1/$0. I don't think it's worth the hassle to cancel (for now). Is there any other differences? I see that the Green Serve list 45k locations to the VIP's 27k location. It doesn't really matter since Walmart is on both of them.

Where are you getting these numbers? I thought Green and OneVIP load at the same locations (WM, FD, 7-11, CVS (cash for last two) )

sosamo Oct 29, 2015 12:21 pm

https://serve.com/cash-reload-prepai...hloadlearnmore

Largest FREE Cash Reload network with over 45,000 locations*

OneVIP says 27,000 locations.

I see that Dollar General and RiteAid are on the list for the Green Serve.

pritomd Oct 29, 2015 1:37 pm

Ah yeah, maybe those two extras account for the larger number.

Also, just loaded OneVIP at Walmart in Northern VA just fine, no issues. Metabank VGC, $500. Checkout line.

BigYellowDog Oct 29, 2015 1:39 pm

Anyone know if Rite Aid allows gebit loads?

Stivelio Oct 29, 2015 1:52 pm

Got onevip serve shipped card email on 10/20 but haven't received the card yet. Should I be concerned and call Amex about this? Please advise

sosamo Oct 29, 2015 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by BigYellowDog (Post 25634627)
Anyone know if Rite Aid allows gebit loads?

Never know. but I think it will be cash only. Later one if they do merge with Walgreen, I wonder how that pan out.

Phantom707 Oct 29, 2015 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Ranjeetv (Post 25634708)
Got onevip serve shipped card email on 10/20 but haven't received the card yet. Should I be concerned and call Amex about this? Please advise

There's little harm in calling, but I can almost guarantee that they're just going to say wait a little bit longer because it can take up to two weeks.

Julian Brennan Oct 29, 2015 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Ranjeetv (Post 25634708)

That's probably my fault! I received my card twice with a few days in between! They're both identical, incl. CVV code etc ;-)

Stivelio Oct 29, 2015 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Julian Brennan (Post 25634828)
That's probably my fault! I received my card twice with a few days in between! They're both identical, incl. CVV code etc ;-)

Well. That was meant to be funny but I did get a second red card about the same time frame and I wonder if they messed it up ;-)

Mamibear Oct 29, 2015 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by sosamo (Post 25634717)
Never know. but I think it will be cash only. Later one if they do merge with Walgreen, I wonder how that pan out.

I tried it at my WAG a month ago and register prompted for cash to load prepaid :(

Happy Oct 29, 2015 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Gimpyknee (Post 25632715)
Tracking my loads, I was surprised to see that my load cycle is NOT the end of the month... (OneVIP). I was checking to make sure I had my load in by 10/31, and see the message that "you've loaded $320 this month, load more by 11/18." I had made a load earlier in the month of $300, but it was prior to 10/18.

Had been sure that Serve was a calendar month load. Obviously not. I've tweeted @AskAMEX, no answer yet -- then called in. The doofus on the phone was little help, said just call in, they'll fix it.

Went back and read the T&C under fees... and guess what... Serve loads are on a statement cycle. So, either go well over $500/month, throughout the month, or pay attention to your calendars. Then again, it is only a dollar....

From the Fee section:
$0 during each monthly statement period in which you receive a Direct Deposit or add $500 or more to your Account.

And yes, some of you are doing far more than $300 loads at a time... some of us are just starting out... getting feet wet, so to speak. On the upside, I am managing 3 Serves, so I'm scaling up.

Your initial wordings are a bit confusing as if you meant about the $5000 monthly load limit on Serve is not by calendar month but by statement cycle. Though after reading more paragraphs I finally understood what you tried to say.

It has ALWAYS been on a Statement cycle when it comes to the $1 monthly fee.

Some people report if you have 0 balance, the fee would not be charged on statement date. No idea if this is true or not.

BigYellowDog Oct 29, 2015 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 25635099)

Some people report if you have 0 balance, the fee would not be charged on statement date. No idea if this is true or not.

I specifically asked this question to a CSR and they said it would not be charged.

bobert24 Oct 29, 2015 5:12 pm

Loaded at DG today ("old" serve). The cashier knew they could do it, but didn't know how. He leafed through two stacks of cards on rings, trying to find the right UPC to scan to initiate the load (one ring was prepaid cell phone reloads, the other appeared to be mainly Xbox & other gaming accounts). He finally found the right card - it was completely separate, not on a ring. It had several prepaid card logos on the front, including serve. The back was bold yellow, with a single UPC.

They scan that UPC, swipe your card on their register, input how much you want to load, you swipe your GC and enter your PIN, and you're done. Pretty simple once they know how. Probably faster than WM.

jeepzy3 Oct 29, 2015 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by kenme1 (Post 25633082)
Why are you using a Macy's Amex? Get a Fido and get a free $240 year.

I have one serve on Fido already & been maxing that every month. Just got another 3rd one due to demise of RB. The Macy's is the only other Amex card I have & been trying to add the AU to the 2nd serve but it was having issues. Since I now switched myself to serve & I'm the primary on the Macy's, it linked immediately. So any points are better than no points. I don't know if I want to bother switching the Fido between accts every month.

Carl Oct 29, 2015 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 25635598)
Loaded at DG today ("old" serve). The cashier knew they could do it, but didn't know how. He leafed through two stacks of cards on rings, trying to find the right UPC to scan to initiate the load (one ring was prepaid cell phone reloads, the other appeared to be mainly Xbox & other gaming accounts). He finally found the right card - it was completely separate, not on a ring. It had several prepaid card logos on the front, including serve. The back was bold yellow, with a single UPC.

They scan that UPC, swipe your card on their register, input how much you want to load, you swipe your GC and enter your PIN, and you're done. Pretty simple once they know how. Probably faster than WM.

Thanks for the additional info. Any idea whether we can do multiple loads at once there? Split tender?

jeepzy3 Oct 29, 2015 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by JATR4 (Post 25632754)
There are 21 cards listed under the heading "Regular Serve Credit Card Loading"
and none of the cards that are listed under "cash advance" are listed there. Can you not figure this out?

Not when you've called & were told it is a purchase so u get the card and load & it shows up as a cash advance! This happened for a TD CC loading to a TD Connect.

The search of the forum wasn't coming up with much for Macy's but lots of datapoints on Fido which I already have on one serve.

Iridium7777 Oct 30, 2015 8:15 am

so probably like a few people i'm switching over from Redbird to Serve VIP which just came in the mail. now i'm reading on blogs that walmart may be hardcoding not to use gift cards to load serve.

i remember vanilla visas didn't work, but i had a line on us.bank ones that used to work, is that going to be an issue going forward? i could have sworn there was a section in the wiki somewhere that listed what cards were able to be used, or perhaps i'm confusing it with another thread?

avagyan Oct 30, 2015 8:16 am

I've tried to register my new Green Serve (I live in NY) and it didn't let me saying that I have a redbird (I've closed my redbird a week ago though)
BTW The Serve I bought in RA (in NYC) didn't ring $2.99 fee so it's free at the moment.
Now I'm learning that you can't add a bank account starting from Oct 28, I wonder if I should call and register my Serve or try to resurrect my redbird?
Did anybody tried to add a bank acct today?
Thanks

pritomd Oct 30, 2015 8:21 am

Originally Posted by pritomd (Post 25634610)
Ah yeah, maybe those two extras account for the larger number.

Also, just loaded OneVIP at Walmart in Northern VA just fine, no issues. Metabank VGC, $500. Checkout line.

The same day, was able to load USBank VGC at same Walmart to OneVIP Serve, no issues. Had to do it at customer center though (cashier didn't know, asked manager, manager said I had to go to CS. CS probably is used to it, asked if I had multiple cards to run.

Also the same day, later on in evening, I loaded 500 OVGC fine to Serve.

Mamibear Oct 30, 2015 8:28 am

Originally Posted by avagyan (Post 25637966)
Now I'm learning that you can't add a bank account starting from Oct 28, I wonder if I should call and register my Serve or try to resurrect my redbird?

First, I have SoftServes with bank accts linked to each one. I have no use for them since I don't w/d to my bank. The recent email I received 10/28 also stated that if I have a linked bank acct, it doesn't affect me; I just can't link a new bank acct which I'm not planning to do at anytime.

ask yourself if RB is better for YOU than Serve, write down the pros and cons of each card to you so you have a clear idea which one is best. then make the decision.

btw, once you close an am3x prepaid account and you register for another prepaid, you can no longer re-open the recently closed account even if it's within the 30 day period. ONLY if you don't register for another am3x prepaid can you request to re-open the RB you just closed. make sure to weigh it carefully if you're going to register for a Serve and check the number of the temp card you have if you want to register for the old blue Serve with waivable fees and no fees to load at FD and WM.

WackNut Oct 30, 2015 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Iridium7777 (Post 25637957)
so probably like a few people i'm switching over from Redbird to Serve VIP which just came in the mail. now i'm reading on blogs that walmart may be hardcoding not to use gift cards to load serve.

i remember vanilla visas didn't work, but i had a line on us.bank ones that used to work, is that going to be an issue going forward? i could have sworn there was a section in the wiki somewhere that listed what cards were able to be used, or perhaps i'm confusing it with another thread?

Well this blog post is over 8 months old, so not sure what my confidence level in it would be.

nkp46 Oct 30, 2015 8:44 am

using t-mobile and paypal debit card to load serve at Walmart machine, and each time 300-400, will this help reduce the chance of being warned by paypal or t-mobile?

givingitatry Oct 30, 2015 8:46 am

deleted. somebody already posted my comment

Carl Oct 30, 2015 9:00 am

That's not really a current post. I commented on it back in February when I kept getting "host timeout" and no one knew what it meant (turns out the system was down everywhere that day).

Carl Oct 30, 2015 9:02 am

Thanks

You can no longer add a bank account from which to add funds after that date. You can continue to add an account for withdrawals, and bank accounts added prior to that date can be used for both functions.

avagyan Oct 30, 2015 10:56 am

I've tried to register my new Green Serve (I live in NY) and it didn't let me saying that I have a redbird (I've closed my redbird a week ago though)
BTW The Serve I bought in RA (in NYC) didn't ring $2.99 fee so it's free at the moment.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 25638023)
First, I have SoftServes with bank accts linked to each one. I have no use for them since I don't w/d to my bank. The recent email I received 10/28 also stated that if I have a linked bank acct, it doesn't affect me; I just can't link a new bank acct which I'm not planning to do at anytime.

ask yourself if RB is better for YOU than Serve, write down the pros and cons of each card to you so you have a clear idea which one is best. then make the decision.

btw, once you close an am3x prepaid account and you register for another prepaid, you can no longer re-open the recently closed account even if it's within the 30 day period. ONLY if you don't register for another am3x prepaid can you request to re-open the RB you just closed. make sure to weigh it carefully if you're going to register for a Serve and check the number of the temp card you have if you want to register for the old blue Serve with waivable fees and no fees to load at FD and WM.

Thanks for the suggestions.. This is why I didn't call serve and asking here instead.
I live in NYC, no walmarts but few targets and only 1 was willing to accept the VGC (w 50% luck) before the end of it. Now since the redbird party is over I thought I can get at least Serve and load while traveling... Green (or any other) Serve doesn't have fees for NY, TX & VT residents (I also have unregistered old Serve for my out of state relative which I'm going to register in his name and keep)

Since you can't load with debit anymore at Targets (but recent email hints otherwise?) and you can't add Bank account to Serve sine Oct 28th (Is it true that you can add for withdrawals?) I need a suggestion whether to call Serve and register my Serve or may be not in order to be able to reinstate my recently closed Red Bird.

In practice, If you still can add a bank account (even though 2 days passed from the Oct 28) I'd rather call and register Serve, but if I missed that already I'd wait to see what happens with RedBird and may be will decide later..

Anybody's registered today?
Thanks

Mamibear Oct 30, 2015 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by avagyan (Post 25638734)
Thanks for the suggestions.. This is why I didn't call serve and asking here instead.
I live in NYC, no walmarts but few targets and only 1 was willing to accept the VGC (w 50% luck) before the end of it. Now since the redbird party is over I thought I can get at least Serve and load while traveling... Green (or any other) Serve doesn't have fees for NY, TX & VT residents (I also have unregistered old Serve for my out of state relative which I'm going to register in his name and keep)

Since you can't load with debit anymore at Targets (but recent email hints otherwise?) and you can't add Bank account to Serve sine Oct 28th (Is it true that you can add for withdrawals?) I need a suggestion whether to call Serve and register my Serve or may be not in order to be able to reinstate my recently closed Red Bird.

In practice, If you still can add a bank account (even though 2 days passed from the Oct 28) I'd rather call and register Serve, but if I missed that already I'd wait to see what happens with RedBird and may be will decide later..

Anybody's registered today?
Thanks

may I ask why adding a bank acct is very important to you for RB or Serve? Do you need to regularly delete and add C/A or S/A accts to fulfill requirements of certain gigs?

ETA:
if you have decided to keep your RB and have not registered for another am3x prepaid, you must call for them to re-instate your RB. If you decide to switch to Serve, no need to call to register; just use your temp card numbers when you register online and you'll get your permanent card in 10 to 15 biz days.

Iridium7777 Oct 30, 2015 12:51 pm

thank you guys for replies, even though the blog is old some of the comments were much more recent and that's what got me worried, especially since one of the comments is from my area with my scheme...

avagyan Oct 30, 2015 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 25639136)
may I ask why adding a bank acct is very important to you for RB or Serve? Do you need to regularly delete and add C/A or S/A accts to fulfill requirements of certain gigs?

ETA:
if you have decided to keep your RB and have not registered for another am3x prepaid, you must call for them to re-instate your RB. If you decide to switch to Serve, no need to call to register; just use your temp card numbers when you register online and you'll get your permanent card in 10 to 15 biz days.

I don't need to delete/add for requirements.. Just to withdraw which I guess it's ok and I'd be able to add a bank account for that purpose if I understand correctly.. Got scared for a moment thinking that Amex blocks withdrawals

As for registering without calling it didn't work for me in a first place.. Even though I've closed my RB a week ago Serve said that I still have it, so have to call anyways..

So I have three options:
Calling and fixing my serve registration (it's ok, since I still can add bank account for withdraws)
Calling and un-canceling my Redbird (this would be preferable if I can MS
with redbird in any way)
Or waiting and hoping :)

Thanks

Mamibear Oct 30, 2015 1:14 pm

@avagyan, know that you can also w/d via MoneyPass atms without fees up to $2K per calendar month. Max w/d per day is $750. I w/d funds from various prepaids at USB atms w/o a fee.

PtsJunkieWI Oct 30, 2015 3:13 pm

Whee! Scored two of the "old blue" on the back of a low rack at a local Walgreens (one for me, one for SO) to replace our Redbirds.

Dunno why I'm happy, except I just feel the old blue is 'safer' than the OneVIP since the waived fee rules are extremely clear. OneVIP card has that direct deposit nonsense goin' on...

Any data points about online loading with USBank Flexperks Amex posting reward points?

sosamo Oct 30, 2015 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by PtsJunkieWI (Post 25639988)
Whee! Scored two of the "old blue" on the back of a low rack at a local Walgreens (one for me, one for SO) to replace our Redbirds.

Dunno why I'm happy, except I just feel the old blue is 'safer' than the OneVIP since the waived fee rules are extremely clear. OneVIP card has that direct deposit nonsense goin' on...

Any data points about online loading with USBank Flexperks Amex posting reward points?

I signed up for the Green Serve, by mistake. I wonder if the 0.00 balance rule applies. If I have a 0.00 balance, they won't charge the 4.95:)

diseased Oct 30, 2015 4:04 pm

I put $700 on Serve out of the $3k spending requirement for the Starwood card and apparently it didn't count because the 30k bonus points weren't awarded this statement. Is there a 7 day before statement closing cutoff period like with Chase? I made the last Serve load on the 24th and the statement cut last night.

ETA: So an additional 1k appeared yesterday and 30k more showed up today (10/31)

Aleko Oct 30, 2015 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by diseased (Post 25640164)
I put $700 on Serve out of the $3k spending requirement for the Starwood card and apparently it didn't count because the 30k bonus points weren't awarded this statement. Is there a 7 day before statement closing cutoff period like with Chase? I made the last Serve load on the 24th and the statement cut last night.

It should show up in your AmEx account the same day billing cycle closes, and in your SPG account a day or two later.

Wakinguptooearly Oct 30, 2015 7:42 pm

So when I was trying to load my 3rd VGC today, a message at the register popped up and said plus $3 (eg. Total of $503). Is that a new implementation of a serve card rule? Or was the cashier trying to pocket an extra $3? I declined the transaction and said I'd come back tomorrow lol

Carl Oct 30, 2015 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Wakinguptooearly (Post 25640811)
So when I was trying to load my 3rd VGC today, a message at the register popped up and said plus $3 (eg. Total of $503). Is that a new implementation of a serve card rule? Or was the cashier trying to pocket an extra $3? I declined the transaction and said I'd come back tomorrow lol

Which retailer?

Wakinguptooearly Oct 30, 2015 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Carl (Post 25640828)
Which retailer?

Oh sorry forgot to mention that. Wally.