FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

psykopath515 Oct 28, 2015 5:41 am

Not sure if this is classified as min spend as per the wiki but does anyone know if serve loads count towards the $6,500 until the 5% at gas, drugstores, and supermarkets kicks in?

Phantom707 Oct 28, 2015 6:22 am

Originally Posted by psykopath515 (Post 25626757)
Not sure if this is classified as min spend as per the wiki but does anyone know if serve loads count towards the $6,500 until the 5% at gas, drugstores, and supermarkets kicks in?

I posted a few pages back that according to other people, no, it does not.

Flyby01 Oct 28, 2015 6:49 am

Originally Posted by fet (Post 25625478)
Can someone confirm that Vanilla gift cards can be loaded the full $500 at Family Dollar? Unless you have first hand experience.:)

IME, Vanillas work at FD.

Gimpyknee Oct 28, 2015 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25624489)
There is ACH into Serve. That's either direct deposit or using the add funds from Bank account. Yes, that's a thing.

Yes, you can load funds from T-Mobile to Serve by swiping the debit card in store.

Thank you ... I mis-spoke.... Completely failed trying to say what I thought I was saying.

Gimpyknee Oct 28, 2015 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Flying Hawaiian (Post 25625737)
Been doing alot of reading here but can't find the answer to this question.

I want the Old Blue Serve card. I understand that temporary card account number has to have the number 71 in it to activate under the old plan.

Problem is - you can't see the number when you buy it at the store unless you rip the box open.

Is there a way to tell before the purchase? Can I assume all the Blue serve at Walgreens is old?

You can find them... takes some effort.
You may want to consider just requesting a OneVIP online...

coolguy100 Oct 28, 2015 7:40 am

I can't log in to my server account even though I tried multiple times. it is just me?

well just tried again and can get in now....must have been a system glitch for several minutes.

kyroadrunner Oct 28, 2015 7:47 am

I was not aware you could load Serve at Dollar General. Will all flavors of Serve load there?

ChrisFlyer66 Oct 28, 2015 7:56 am

Originally Posted by coolguy100 (Post 25627180)
I can't log in to my server account even though I tried multiple times. it is just me?

well just tried again and can get in now....must have been a system glitch for several minutes.

I had some issues this morning as well. It is fine now.

onlybeef42 Oct 28, 2015 7:58 am

Originally Posted by anubond005 (Post 25620362)
Just an fyi guys on loads at FD. All FDs in my area getting cranky. Tried 4 yest and 2 declined to use debit card and said only cash. When i tried to talk to one manager saying I always used debit here, he pointed to sticker on the door which mentions something like cash loads of Serve. One FD manager asked to see debit card and success with one. I can only think of influx of lot of new members. Plz let me know guys if anyone experienced the same.

I am experiencing resistance as well. I.e. requests to match the name on the debit card to a picture ID and have been told: "Oh, we do not accept that type of debit card. My manager told me they are part of a scam."

sybloc Oct 28, 2015 7:59 am

Has anyone successfully loaded VIP directly from Reloadit Safe?

bobert24 Oct 28, 2015 8:56 am

Originally Posted by bigpete54 (Post 25624373)
I have been loading Reloadit cards to my T-mobile card and then using my T-mobile card to load my Serve card at Walmart. No issues at all. Have been doing a few thousand a month for a while now and have had no issues.

Here is a post I made about what I do.

Good post. I actually stumbled across it from Google a little while back.

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 25624489)
There is ACH into Serve. That's either direct deposit or using the add funds from Bank account. Yes, that's a thing.

Yes, you can load funds from T-Mobile to Serve by swiping the debit card in store.

The really interesting thing here isn't the ability to use the T-Mobile card to load Serve. The interesting thing is the ability to use the T-Mobile card as a debit card at walmart. It even has your name on it.

DrForce Oct 28, 2015 9:58 am

Originally Posted by MrBill64 (Post 25625499)
Loaded Blue Serve today at 2 different DG's. Used a $500 OV at each store. I hadn't seen anyone post success at DG loading with a OV (didn't read every post).

This is exciting if it's being rolled out nationally. I've never tried but I will now.

all328 Oct 28, 2015 10:03 am

Has anyone loaded MGC at Walmart with an employee using the Ingenico terminal? How do I change it debit? It just automatically goes to as credit. I remember how to do it on the old terminals. There has to be some trick here or do I have to use KATE?

diseased Oct 28, 2015 10:16 am

Don't know if this affects anyone:

Hello,

We want to let you know about some changes to the terms and conditions of your American Express Serve® Account:

• Funding & Transfers
As of October 28, you will not be able to link a new bank account to your Serve Account to add money. However, you will still be able to transfer money out of your Serve Account to a bank account.

If you currently have a linked bank account, nothing will change - you'll still be able to add money from that account.

You can continue to easily add money through Direct Deposit, Debit Card, American Express Credit and Cash Reloads at thousands of locations.

• Early Direct Deposit
Now you can get access to your money up to two days faster* with Direct Deposit. You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your American Express Serve Account.

You can also review these changes in the Consumer User Agreement here.

Thanks,

The American Express Serve Team

Gimpyknee Oct 28, 2015 10:28 am

Which Serve do you have?

UPDATE
After seeing this message, I checked my own email, and can now confirm (based on my email and the responses below) that this affects the following:
- SoftServe
- "Green" Fee-free Serve
- OneVIP Serve

Impact: Unknown - simply means no new bank accounts can be linked.

Originally Posted by diseased (Post 25628020)
Don't know if this affects anyone:

Hello,

We want to let you know about some changes to the terms and conditions of your American Express Serve® Account:

• Funding & Transfers
As of October 28, you will not be able to link a new bank account to your Serve Account to add money. However, you will still be able to transfer money out of your Serve Account to a bank account.

If you currently have a linked bank account, nothing will change - you'll still be able to add money from that account.

You can continue to easily add money through Direct Deposit, Debit Card, American Express Credit and Cash Reloads at thousands of locations.

• Early Direct Deposit
Now you can get access to your money up to two days faster* with Direct Deposit. You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your American Express Serve Account.

You can also review these changes in the Consumer User Agreement here.

Thanks,

The American Express Serve Team

cabby Oct 28, 2015 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Gimpyknee (Post 25628088)
Which Serve do you have?

I got same message.

I got the serve where I signed up via Soft serve? I'm grandfathered with $1500 credit/debit limits.

WackNut Oct 28, 2015 10:33 am

Which Serve do you have?

I have a softcard serve and just got the email.

Chelski Oct 28, 2015 10:34 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 25626621)
Yea well I also looked and there was no ATM/Machine for loading Serve.

Congratulations it appears you have met AunTieM. There is a thread somewhere on FT devoted for finding the lovely but reluctant KATE

crapz1 Oct 28, 2015 10:34 am

Which Serve do you have?

Softserve and got the email as well.

stark4 Oct 28, 2015 10:44 am

Softserve account also and got the same email. I guess it too late to link bank account for future use.

ngoc92 Oct 28, 2015 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Flying Hawaiian (Post 25625737)
Been doing alot of reading here but can't find the answer to this question.

I want the Old Blue Serve card. I understand that temporary card account number has to have the number 71 in it to activate under the old plan.

Problem is - you can't see the number when you buy it at the store unless you rip the box open.

Is there a way to tell before the purchase? Can I assume all the Blue serve at Walgreens is old?

Just flip the box over and look at the monthly fee or reload fee. If there is no reload fee or any indications of the monthly fee it is the old serve.

Stivelio Oct 28, 2015 10:46 am

Got the same email for target red card as well and so it "seems" like it is being sent out to all Amex prepaid customers.

missing_link Oct 28, 2015 10:59 am

Originally Posted by stark4 (Post 25628179)
Softserve account also and got the same email. I guess it too late to link bank account for future use.

Maybe I'm reading it too literally, but I read:

To mean that you will no longer be able to add a new bank account to ADD money to your account. It appears you should still be able to WITHDRAW money to a bank account.

WackNut Oct 28, 2015 11:07 am

Originally Posted by missing_link (Post 25628265)
Maybe I'm reading it too literally, but I read:

To mean that you will no longer be able to add a new bank account to ADD money to your account. It appears you should still be able to WITHDRAW money to a bank account.

I have never had an account linked but it appears I can still link to withdrawal.

missing_link Oct 28, 2015 11:17 am

Originally Posted by WackNut (Post 25628308)
I have never had an account linked but it appears I can still link to withdrawal.

Just checked. I can definitely link a new checking account. There is no reason to freak out; you can still w/d money from Serve to a linked bank account.

1353513636 Oct 28, 2015 12:16 pm

Why would they want to make it so that you can't add money from a bank account? I can't imagine it costs them anything.

Happy Oct 28, 2015 12:20 pm

Which Serve do you have?

UPDATE
After seeing this message, I checked my own email, and can now confirm (based on my email and the responses below) that this affects the following:
- SoftServe
- "Green" Fee-free Serve
- OneVIP Serve

Add to that are Old Serve and BB. I think it is for virtually ALL AMEX Prepaid products.

missing_link Oct 28, 2015 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636 (Post 25628677)
Why would they want to make it so that you can't add money from a bank account? I can't imagine it costs them anything.

Fraud concerns, most likely. Note, (I believe) you can still add funds from a bank account, you just have to push it from your bank account.

cruisr Oct 28, 2015 4:54 pm

Which Serve do you have?

UPDATE
- SoftServe
- "Green" Fee-free Serve
- OneVIP Serve

I thought the Green was fee free and waived the monthly fee if you do a debit (GC) load on it. The Serve CSR I spoke to said that is not true and that after 30 days I will be debited a monthly fee. Was he wrong? Is the Green one fee free for both loads and monthly service fee?

He also told me I couldn't load funds on to the temporary card and that was wrong.

Mamibear Oct 28, 2015 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr (Post 25629967)
I thought the Green was fee free and waived the monthly fee if you do a debit (GC) load on it. The Serve CSR I spoke to said that is not true and that after 30 days I will be debited a monthly fee. Was he wrong? Is the Green one fee free for both loads and monthly service fee?

He also told me I couldn't load funds on to the temporary card and that was wrong.

according to the terms, if you live in NY, TX or VT, there will be no monthly maintenance fees charged; outside of those states, you will see monthly maintenance fees charged to your account. However, there are no fees to load $ via cash/debit at any of participating merchants like WM, FD, CVS, 7-11 (last 2 are hard coded for cash loads only) etc.

Outbreak187 Oct 28, 2015 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 25630031)
according to the terms, if you live in NY, TX or VT, there will be no monthly maintenance fees charged; outside of those states, you will see monthly maintenance fees charged to your account. However, there are no fees to load $ via cash/debit at any of participating merchants like WM, FD, CVS, 7-11 (last 2 are hard coded for cash loads only) etc.

Tried to load at FD, cashier said they are charging $3.99 per load starting today.
I walked out.

ericdabbs Oct 28, 2015 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Outbreak187 (Post 25630514)
Tried to load at FD, cashier said they are charging $3.99 per load starting today.
I walked out.

Are you sure about that? Is it not because you have another type of Serve card? Did you actually try the transaction because the FD staff could be confused because normally a VR reload does cost $3.95 to load for other cards but not for Serve.

jeepzy3 Oct 28, 2015 9:03 pm

Link Macy's Amex

Macy's amex is slow to post. I loaded $200 from my Macy's Amex to serve, but don't see the transaction yet on Macy's online. Does anyone know if Macy's Amex will show up as purchase or cash advance?

I tried to remove or lower the cash advance limit last night via chat & just ran around in circles. Then the dumb CSR just posts the phone # to call.

JATR4 Oct 28, 2015 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by jeepzy3 (Post 25631055)
Macy's amex is slow to post. I loaded $200 from my Macy's Amex to serve, but don't see the transaction yet on Macy's online. Does anyone know if Macy's Amex will show up as purchase or cash advance?

I tried to remove or lower the cash advance limit last night via chat & just ran around in circles. Then the dumb CSR just posts the phone # to call.

If you scroll up and read the WIKI you might find your answer in about 10 seconds. Try it.

faboo Oct 28, 2015 10:18 pm

So after many months of stress free loading and no hang ups, i have a problem.

I was on my last card for the month and i get the "debit not available" print out, i think nothing of it and decide to return the next day. This time i get, "debit not approved call authorizer". So i just signed onto the simon website to check balance and it says 0, saying the walmart load was successful. I then log into my serve and there is no transaction.

So Serve website and kiosk printout indicate transaction didn't go through, but simon gift card site indicates it went through.

any help??

jeepzy3 Oct 28, 2015 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by JATR4 (Post 25631207)
If you scroll up and read the WIKI you might find your answer in about 10 seconds. Try it.

It doesn't explicitly state either way so I was just confirming. I already went thru the wiki & only saw CA for Visas. There could be a note added ( will post as purchase), but didn't see that.

johnkphotography Oct 28, 2015 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Outbreak187 (Post 25630514)
I walked out.

Just got a report from a friend in Wisconsin that their local FD did the same thing. Tried going on 2 different days and both times the charge showed up when trying to load. Second time he just went ahead and made the transaction and paid the 3.95 load fee. Can anyone verify that they are still loading without the load fees posting?

Gimpyknee Oct 29, 2015 7:34 am

Tracking my loads, I was surprised to see that my load cycle is NOT the end of the month... (OneVIP). I was checking to make sure I had my load in by 10/31, and see the message that "you've loaded $320 this month, load more by 11/18." I had made a load earlier in the month of $300, but it was prior to 10/18.

Had been sure that Serve was a calendar month load. Obviously not. I've tweeted @AskAMEX, no answer yet -- then called in. The doofus on the phone was little help, said just call in, they'll fix it.

Went back and read the T&C under fees... and guess what... Serve loads are on a statement cycle. So, either go well over $500/month, throughout the month, or pay attention to your calendars. Then again, it is only a dollar....

From the Fee section:
$0 during each monthly statement period in which you receive a Direct Deposit or add $500 or more to your Account.

And yes, some of you are doing far more than $300 loads at a time... some of us are just starting out... getting feet wet, so to speak. On the upside, I am managing 3 Serves, so I'm scaling up.

Carl Oct 29, 2015 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Gimpyknee (Post 25632715)
Tracking my loads, I was surprised to see that my load cycle is NOT the end of the month... (OneVIP). I was checking to make sure I had my load in by 10/31, and see the message that "you've loaded $320 this month, load more by 11/18." I had made a load earlier in the month of $300, but it was prior to 10/18.

Had been sure that Serve was a calendar month load. Obviously not. I've tweeted @AskAMEX, no answer yet -- then called in. The doofus on the phone was little help, said just call in, they'll fix it.

Went back and read the T&C under fees... and guess what... Serve loads are on a statement cycle. So, either go well over $500/month, throughout the month, or pay attention to your calendars. Then again, it is only a dollar....

From the Fee section:
$0 during each monthly statement period in which you receive a Direct Deposit or add $500 or more to your Account.

And yes, some of you are doing far more than $300 loads at a time... some of us are just starting out... getting feet wet, so to speak. On the upside, I am managing 3 Serves, so I'm scaling up.

Just to clarify: load limits apply on a calendar month basis, and the fee schedule applies based upon your individual statement cycle.

JATR4 Oct 29, 2015 7:44 am

Originally Posted by jeepzy3 (Post 25631388)
It doesn't explicitly state either way so I was just confirming. I already went thru the wiki & only saw CA for Visas. There could be a note added ( will post as purchase), but didn't see that.

There are 21 cards listed under the heading "Regular Serve Credit Card Loading"
and none of the cards that are listed under "cash advance" are listed there. Can you not figure this out?