Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Not much of a loss since WM collects 70 cents
You are forgetting that most people try to buy more than a $500 MO. PLUS, you have the cost of labor, overhead, General and Administrative costs etc.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:49 am

I am not sure that there is a loss at all.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by kitkatft
Field report on my WM (I know this is a thread about buying MO's at WM, not loading BB at WM, but posting here since this thread's Wiki most directly addresses the OV at WM issue):
  • Bought 2 OV's at CVS on a CC
  • Took them to WM. Neither loaded on Kate. (By the way, this might be something I missed, but Kate is charging $5 for $500 loads. Not for lesser loads, though - I stuck under $494.99 for simplicity.)
  • Took them both to a register.
  • OV#1 went through despite "tender not accepted" after the clerk swiped from his side. Interestingly, I don't think it ever asked me for a PIN.
  • OV#2 was firmly "tender not accepted."
  • Decided to let things cool off, as perhaps BB had been fooled into thinking I'd met $1K load/day even though less than $500 had actually cleared.
-
  • Spent down the 1st OV at the cafeteria at work. (Interestingly, their register had no idea that my OV balance was $0.81 short of my bill and counted the whole sandwich as paid for.)
-
You should probably look at OV 1. I would bet that the clerk loaded the BB with "cash" not the OV. That is probably why no pin was asked for and when you bought the sandwich the register accepted the card for full payment.

There have been many cases of this happening. Assuming it is, the clerk can get into a lot of trouble when their drawer is short $500. I believe most people have been honest and gone back to the WM and corrected the situation so that no one gets in trouble.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:22 am

I am not sure that there is a loss at all.
Don't see how you think that.

You've got $0.40 in exchange fees.

You've got money going to Moneygram - probably at least a 25/75 split of the MO fee going to Moneygram - so $0.17 or so.

With an average labor cost of $12/hour (wage rate, social security/medicare taxes, etc. combined), that is still $0.20/labor a minute.

Then, you've got the cost to maintain their floor space and systems. You've got the opportunity cost of the floor space. You've got to pay the back office people supporting the Money Center desk who command much higher salaries than the CSR.

Throw in fraud loss or just straight stupid cashier loss. There are numerous examples, myself included and an example just a couple posts back of how it happens with Bluebird, of cashiers jacking up transactions and giving people $500/$1,000 MO and not charging the card. That eats the full revenue of hundreds of transactions by itself, not even looking at supposed profit.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by hamhead
Then, you've got the cost to maintain their floor space and systems. You've got the opportunity cost of the floor space. You've got to pay the back office people supporting the Money Center desk who command much higher salaries than the CSR.
I suppose the age of the store might have something to do with it, but I find few Walmarts with a separate Money Center.

Rather, Returns and Money Center are combined. There is no extra floor space nor systems. And they often pull the same Cashiers from regular registers when it gets busy, so any added labor cost is not as linear as 20 cents per minute since they are on the clock anyways.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:52 am

I suppose the age of the store might have something to do with it, but I find few Walmarts with a separate Money Center.

Rather, Returns and Money Center are combined. There is no extra floor space nor systems. And they often pull the same Cashiers from regular registers when it gets busy, so any added labor cost is not as linear as 20 cents per minute since they are on the clock anyways.
You could say the same thing about every aspect of a business. Delete any small task and you do not impact the overall staffing of a company. Even if you assume static personnel, you are taking the personnel away from doing something else so there is a real "normal" labor cost associated with processing MOs. Business' do not "price" or cost account based on marginal costs.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes there are lines, but many times the cashiers at the service desk are waiting for customers. I don't think you can count the labor cost by the minutes it takes to sell a MO. I have no idea whether WM is making money on MOs or not, and I don't think any of us knows. It's all speculation.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hamhead
First, for fees your estimate is far too low even after Dodd Frank

Here

Wal-Mart is paying $0.45 or so per $500 in interchange fees. Plus MoneyGram is going to be getting a cut of the money order fee for actually processing the MO. Nevermind fraud loss / employee wages.

Definitely a net loss.

This was always the case even before we started doing this, but it was used as a way to get people in the store. If they are going to the Money Center, chances are they are going to do other shopping as well.

MSers have a tendency to go in the store, to the money center, and back out from what I've seen. We are by and large a parasite to merchants. But we are a parasite that is hard to eliminate without affecting actual profitable customers.
As much as it pains me to stroll through WM getting groceries, I do shop there when I go for MS. It means I don't have to visit Kroger or Target, in addition. So they are definitely getting more of my money than they are losing on my swipes. Before I started MS, I don't think I had set foot in a WM in, no joke, 10 years.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:53 am

Think of it as a loss leader. Gets you in the store. I suspect that many of their other transactions *are* profitable, but they will intentionally price certain services at or below cost just to get you there.

FWIW - One of my WMs sells MOs for significantly less than $0.70. I guarantee you they aren't making money there.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kitkatft
[*] Took them to WM. Neither loaded on Kate. (By the way, this might be something I missed, but Kate is charging $5 for $500 loads. Not for lesser loads, though - I stuck under $494.99 for simplicity.)

WHAT? $5 per $500 load? I was there yesterday and no fee for any amount of load at Kate. Including 1k.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
As much as it pains me to stroll through WM getting groceries, I do shop there when I go for MS. It means I don't have to visit Kroger or Target, in addition. So they are definitely getting more of my money than they are losing on my swipes. Before I started MS, I don't think I had set foot in a WM in, no joke, 10 years.
Just as an added note, Wal-Mart's profit margins are 3.3% ttm, with much lower margins on groceries than on other products if you're shopping for those items. So even if you're dropping $100 in fresh food each trip you're only netting them a couple bucks profit.

You might already know that but I just wanted to clarify as sometimes the difference between revenue and profit, especially with low margin retailers, gets lost in discussions like these on the effect of (perhaps) loss leaders on foot traffic and profitability.

Last edited by hamhead; Aug 22, 2014 at 12:22 pm
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
WHAT? $5 per $500 load? I was there yesterday and no fee for any amount of load at Kate. Including 1k.
I think he is referring to the fee listed on the new signage at some WM MCs. As far as I know, it refers to opening a new BB, and not loads to existing BBs.

I've done BB loads without fees after the signage came up.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:14 pm

MC Gift C

So finally found a Giant , bought a MC Gift Card , was charged $ 5.95 fee. It is a printed card says DEBIT. No PIN creation instructions...

Still not clear how to now convert it at WM for a MO. I presume Kate refers to the self service kiosk ?

What are the mechanics of getting a MO or loading a BB card?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:36 pm

Look at the back of the card, see the wiki here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by TRVLUPGD
So finally found a Giant , bought a MC Gift Card , was charged $ 5.95 fee. It is a printed card says DEBIT. No PIN creation instructions...

Still not clear how to now convert it at WM for a MO. I presume Kate refers to the self service kiosk ?

What are the mechanics of getting a MO or loading a BB card?

Thanks in advance.
Call the back of the card to set the PIN. Menu options 1-2-card number-hash-CID-hash-3-PIN-hash-confirm PIN-hash. Hangup. Load at any register or purchase MO using debit workaround in wiki.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.