Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Your age fluctuates? Do you bathe in a Lazarus pit? (Bonus points to folks who know what I'm referencing.)
I see your prolly part of the Big Bang theory crowd
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by Stoughton
No, it's fact

It's not a "scam" to have paid CC links on a blog. A scam implies intend to defraud or trick someone. No blogger is attempting that with CC links and the immense naivety of some readers regarding payment for advertising referral doesn’t make it so.

No matter how much people may dislike bloggers, be it some or all (and I fall into that group sometimes as well), it's not a scam to put referral links on a page.
It's not a scam, but it's sleazy.

'Best credit cards of the month'

These are the best 10 cards I recommend.
Link
Link
Link

It's generally honest advice, but it's there for money, not because people need that information. And then the disclaimer is small at the bottom. It'd be more honest to have it clearly at the top of the post.

Another example is the 'best uses of UA miles' - where at the bottom of the page there is LINK - get 30k miles, LINK - get 50 UR points, etc.

We don't need bloggers, that's the bottom line. They could all be put into one blog IMO, they all write the same stuff and all of it I already know.

MS is kind of a sensitive topic. Because of it's appeal to newbies, the community doesn't seem to think it's taboo to write about MS techniques.

Think about what would happen if one of the big bloggers posted all of the Fuel Dumps they knew. Backlash.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais

Link
Link
Link

It's generally honest advice, but it's there for money, not because people need that information. And then the disclaimer is small at the bottom. It'd be more honest to have it clearly at the top of the post.

Another example is the 'best uses of UA miles' - where at the bottom of the page there is LINK - get 30k miles, LINK - get 50 UR points, etc.

We don't need bloggers, that's the bottom line. They could all be put into one blog IMO, they all write the same stuff and all of it I already know.

MS is kind of a sensitive topic. Because of it's appeal to newbies, the community doesn't seem to think it's taboo to write about MS techniques.

Think about what would happen if one of the big bloggers posted all of the Fuel Dumps they knew. Backlash.
Link?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:12 pm

Link
Link
Link

I didn't check all of them but the points guy and MMS both seem to always put the disclaimer at the top.

How about books in general? how to books or anything else. Do you think they put the books out because people need the info or are they doing it for the money?

Do you have a problem with authors and publishers as much as you have with bloggers?

how about TV shows are they out just to entertain or make money?

How about your job? Do you do it out of the goodness of your heart or are you in it for the cash?

You are against bloggers for the exact reason you accuse them, greed. You want to keep your secrets that someone found out and told you to yourself.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:16 pm

Your age fluctuates? Do you bathe in a Lazarus pit? (Bonus points to folks who know what I'm referencing.)
Ooo! Me! Pick me! I know!

5 k just arrived via Mr. UPS. :-)
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
No, you just called it merely my opinion for writing that it wasn't, even though you've just agreed with what I wrote.

You need to consider if your desire to attack me justifies sidetracking threads.
Were you two a couple at some point in time?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:23 pm

Why does the AMEX order letter start with "Congratulations! Enclosed is your order...."

Does the Amex letter-writer read this forum too?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:30 pm

Link
Link
Link

I don't mind the sponsored links. That's all pretty obvious after a visit to a few of the sites. What I DON'T like is the notion that this MSing thing is "free." It can be very low cost but there are risks, there is float, and if you don't keep track it can be a trap. I think a few people mentioned that at the start of this thread. If the bloggers were more honest and talked about the real fees involved in buying Vanilla cards --the investment of a couple of hundred bucks that won't be spent on clothes or food or whatever, then I'd be okay with it. But---the idea of "free" and the way it's presented is, in my opinion, very manipulative. But hey---they are there to get people to sign up for cards anyway, right? So it's a sell job. Reader beware, that's all there is to it.

And before you start on me:

Yes, I question everything I read.
Yes, I am one of the lucky who likes what they do for a living.
No, I am not anti-blog. I am more anti-deception.
Yes, I realize there's a beautiful irony in that.....
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by ddavid1101
Guys,

80% of my VGC I get from CVS load fine on to BB with Kate. 20% get an Funds Not Available error after I enter the pin on Kate. Any ideas around this?

I checked the funds via calling in and its fine. I can even load with CSR when they dont question the debit card.

Any ideas how to make it work with Kate? I dont want to cumulatively have a stack of kate-unfriendly cards that I need to exit with CSR.
Whats a "Kate" ?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
Whats a "Kate" ?
BB ATM; it's in the WIKI.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:00 pm

Re: color machines -- seems to be more accurate, timing-wise, to use the screen "change payment" button, rather than the yellow button.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by st.exupery
Re: color machines -- seems to be more accurate, timing-wise, to use the screen "change payment" button, rather than the yellow button.
This has been the case for me...until this morning.

I had to swipe each OV 4 to 5 times just for a 1k load. I did them both in separate transactions. The yellow change button was disappearing quickly. I had to keep my finger right above the area. The cashier tried it too.

Unfortunately, the manager was called over. She asked to see the card. Since I had been managing this well, I didn't have a normal debit card to show her. Initially, she and the cashier looked at the card and agreed that it was a debit. After a couple more failed swipes, she said the card wouldn't work.

I asked her to stop the transaction and then walked around the store. I came to a different register and was having the same issue. Luckily, I was able to get it working there.

I'm thinking of dumping OVs. It's a real pain to play whack a mole with that button.

One more note: I wonder if the debit key that they press impacts the speed of the change payment button.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:32 am

This has been the case for me...until this morning.

I had to swipe each OV 4 to 5 times just for a 1k load. I did them both in separate transactions. The yellow change button was disappearing quickly. I had to keep my finger right above the area. The cashier tried it too.

Unfortunately, the manager was called over. She asked to see the card. Since I had been managing this well, I didn't have a normal debit card to show her. Initially, she and the cashier looked at the card and agreed that it was a debit. After a couple more failed swipes, she said the card wouldn't work.

I asked her to stop the transaction and then walked around the store. I came to a different register and was having the same issue. Luckily, I was able to get it working there.

I'm thinking of dumping OVs. It's a real pain to play whack a mole with that button.

One more note: I wonder if the debit key that they press impacts the speed of the change payment button.
Just press the yellow hard button on the card reader to Change Payment. It does the same thing as pressing the yellow soft "Change Payment" button on the screen. Its a fallacy that the only way to Change Payment is by pressing the yellow Change Payment button on the screen. I always have my other hand on the Red (Cancel) or Yellow (Change Payment) buttons depending if its the old or new POS card readers as a I swipe my OV and have never had issues with using the hard buttons. I find that the soft buttons on the screen can be flaky so I don't rely on them.

Last edited by ericdabbs; Jun 12, 2014 at 8:38 am
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:36 am

I had a terrific experience last night at my favorite WM. I got lucky and my favorite CSR was working; the one who knows me by sight and just asks "money orders?"
First I loaded my BB $1000 with two OVs in two separate transactions. Then she sold me $4000 worth of MOs using VGCs. No problems there.
The only thing that makes me sad is my favorite CSR looks to be about 6 months pregnant, so maybe she won't be working for a while in the near future.

Then I drove over to another WM, worked with my second favorite CSR, and got $2k more of MOs using VGCs.

I am currently sitting on ~$8k of money orders that I need to distribute across my checking accounts. That will take a few days.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:38 am

Although I have a few other alternatives, I think Walmart in King of Prussia, PA is dead unless the Kate is operating. They are still using the old customer card terminal (non-color), and swipes of OV go instantly to the signature screen and then return a rejection error. Three different MC CSRs have told me no gift cards of any type, and they have been trained that OVs-- even though they say debit-- are gift cards and are not allowed. This goes not only for MOs but also BP and Serve loads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.