Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cajunguy
Clean your glasses
I don't wear them. There are actually two, but the Asian one hasn't worked at the money center or CS counter, only at the checkout lanes.

Last edited by PaulMSN; Jun 9, 2014 at 10:10 pm
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Which WM are YOU going to, cause it's certainly not the same one I'm going to.
Monona. Young Asian, about 5' 1"-2", works the checkout lanes. Young Hispanic-looking woman about the same height, nice figure, I've seen her doing various things. Yes, there are a lot of plus-sized people working there, but not all are.

Of course, I work on campus, so WM seems an anomaly to me, with all the fit young people I see daily around work.

Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
Sigh. Snitches everywhere.
It's public knowledge if it's on FT. I'd guess FT has a higher readership than all the blogs combined.

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 9, 2014 at 11:26 pm
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
It's public knowledge if it's on FT. I'd guess FT has a higher readership than all the blogs combined.
If it's so public then certain people wouldn't be trying to leech money off of others with it.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by trumpet205
So VGC issued by Metabank is not affected by this am I correct?
The wiki seems to suggest this problem is limit to Bancorp issued VGC, but the other day I had a Metbank VGC (the one from OM) and it did not work at the register either. It worked at the kiosk though.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by vinhboy
The wiki seems to suggest this problem is limit to Bancorp issued VGC, but the other day I had a Metbank VGC (the one from OM) and it did not work at the register either. It worked at the kiosk though.
You could technically also use the workaround for Metabank cards just to be sure.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by maddie5218
You could technically also use the workaround for Metabank cards just to be sure.
The cards from Staples have had no issue at all, other than their denomination size
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:56 am

Okay. These two steps seem redundant though,

1. Swipe OV - Screen showing 'Waiting for cashier...' and press 'Change Payment' button
2. Select "Change Payment" on the screen (yellow button on pad should also work)
Would it work if I simply swipe the card and press the yellow button on pad right afterward?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:28 am

1. Swipe OV - Screen showing 'Waiting for cashier...' and press 'Change Payment' button
2. Select "Change Payment" on the screen (yellow button on pad should also work)

Would it work if I simply swipe the card and press the yellow button on pad right afterward?
It should be updated if we can get more details of what the screen actually says for each step. Don't have too much experience with color POS screens since most of the WMs I go to still use the old POS monochrome black/green screens.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:39 am

I think you need to wait for it to blink a couple times and show the virtual change payment button. Then you can hit the physical yellow button on the keypad.

For some reason yesterday the POS would not let me hit the change payment button, virtual or physical. We tried about 5 times, then actually changed registers (this was on the 4th of 4 cards for 2 BB loads)..not sure what changed, but I decided from then on to go with 2x $500 loads instead of 1x $1000. Eventually we got it to work, not sure if the cashier hit something different on his side. He was supremely patient, kudos to him, and the other people in line.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cdancer20
I've done $1k to $1.5k between gift cards and reloads it at my local grocery store with no issue. Sometimes I get the shocked "wow! That much? Can I get a loan?" type thing but these are from young kids too. So spending that much money in one pop is foreign to them anyways.
Originally Posted by FTRox87
same... its funny how $1-2k doesnt even phase us anymore... and these folks @ the checkout have their eyes popping out.
It's funny that I just posted this yesterday and then walked into Best Buy a couple hours later to just experience it all over again lol.

I was at the register buying $2800 worth of VGCs. (Last month of my unlimited cashback on Cash+ so trying to get a lot in. RIP unlimited Electronics cashback... anyways). I told the cashier (young boy probably no more than 20) that I wanted $200 on each. He was shocked and said "On all these?!?" I said yea and he replied that that's a lot of gift cards and whistled under his breath. It was too funny but I acted completely nonchalant about it. As you said, that's nothing to people like us anymore.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:21 am

It's funny that I just posted this yesterday and then walked into Best Buy a couple hours later to just experience it all over again lol.

I was at the register buying $2800 worth of VGCs. (Last month of my unlimited cashback on Cash+ so trying to get a lot in. RIP unlimited Electronics cashback... anyways). I told the cashier (young boy probably no more than 20) that I wanted $200 on each. He was shocked and said "On all these?!?" I said yea and he replied that that's a lot of gift cards and whistled under his breath. It was too funny but I acted completely nonchalant about it. As you said, that's nothing to people like us anymore.
Similar to when I purchase MOs at my local grocer. They don't typically see amounts greater than $500 even though it's a higher end store. Kind of funny how I can do the math in my head for a nice even number (multiple of $500). They always give me these funny looks, hah!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:54 am

I'm trying to do the math. You said unlimited on Cash+.
5% on electronic stores is only up to $2K in purchases.
Unlimited is 2%.
$2,800 worth of gift cards each $200 is 14 VGCs...
Purchase fee on each is about $6
Purchase fee on 14 VGCs is $84
You pay 2,884
Your cash back 2% is 57.68

You don't make a profit. You lose $26.32. Am I missing something?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Zgirl
I'm trying to do the math. You said unlimited on Cash+.
5% on electronic stores is only up to $2K in purchases.
Unlimited is 2%.
$2,800 worth of gift cards each $200 is 14 VGCs...
Purchase fee on each is about $6
Purchase fee on 14 VGCs is $84
You pay 2,884
Your cash back 2% is 57.68

You don't make a profit. You lose $26.32. Am I missing something?
I was grandfathered in the unlimited 5% cashback on Cash+ until I hit my one-year mark. Also the 2% categories is only for gas, grocery, or pharmacy anyways.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 7:15 am

I was grandfathered in the unlimited 5% cashback on Cash+ until I hit my one-year mark. Also the 2% categories is only for gas, grocery, or pharmacy anyways.
^ That's nice.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
If it's so public then certain people wouldn't be trying to leech money off of others with it.
"Leech"? I assume you mean bloggers, but no one has to click on any links at their sites. It's entirely voluntary. It's also not unethical to gather publicly-available information and post it.

After getting the woman who threatened me with paperwork 3 of the last 6 times I was at WM, this morning I got two of the best cashiers at the MC as it was just opening. I had $5000 in GCs and I used them all. It went very quickly even though there was a change in the procedure since yesterday on their end. The one was instructing the other on the fly as she helped me. I didn't catch what the changes were, though.

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 10, 2014 at 10:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.