Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Churnman
Do not assume it is only vanilla brands that are having problems being accepted for transactions at Walmart, other brands having trouble too. Reportedly Visa is investigating whether there's any alleged violation of their terms. Visa promotes "wherever Visa is accepted." Interesting that this is primarily a problem only at Walmart. Also, it's been reported that customers have contacted Vanilla's issuer and have been allegedly told "it's Walmart's software and/or Metabank's software (kiosk) causing the problem, not us."
Got any links to the reports of other Visa GCs having problems?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:16 pm

Do not assume it is only vanilla brands that are having problems being accepted for transactions at Walmart, other brands having trouble too. Reportedly Visa is investigating whether there's any alleged violation of their terms. Visa promotes "wherever Visa is accepted." Interesting that this is primarily a problem only at Walmart. Also, it's been reported that customers have contacted Vanilla's issuer and have been allegedly told "it's Walmart's software and/or Metabank's software (kiosk) causing the problem, not us."
Source?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Google is your friend.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:10 pm

Well obviously its got to be WM's software that is doing something that is causing all these issues. Its ridiculous in the first place that WM is singling out Vanilla products and forcing debit cards to be run as credit. I have used the OVs at other stores and they automatically default to debit function and prompts for a PIN.

One of the WM software engineers needs to revert these changes out of the software and stop these shenanigans.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Well obviously its got to be WM's software that is doing something that is causing all these issues. Its ridiculous in the first place that WM is singling out Vanilla products and forcing debit cards to be run as credit. I have used the OVs at other stores and they automatically default to debit function and prompts for a PIN.

One of the WM software engineers needs to revert these changes out of the software and stop these shenanigans.
Well of course that's what we think. However from a business prospective, they probably are game to the huge availability and purchase of OVs over other cards and trying to throw a money wrench in our plan. I can partially understand it from that side. A normal person using the GC really wouldn't care if it's Debit/Credit if they are just using for regular purchases. They probably would never think to use it for MO/Bill Pay. So in an effort to shutdown a huge industry (of us MSers), they took out the biggest player.

Now on the flip side, I need them to fix this so I can go back to the good life. This current situation of working sometimes and not working others is playing with my emotions.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Well of course that's what we think. However from a business prospective, they probably are game to the huge availability and purchase of OVs over other cards and trying to throw a money wrench in our plan. I can partially understand it from that side. A normal person using the GC really wouldn't care if it's Debit/Credit if they are just using for regular purchases. They probably would never think to use it for MO/Bill Pay. So in an effort to shutdown a huge industry (of us MSers), they took out the biggest player.

Now on the flip side, I need them to fix this so I can go back to the good life. This current situation of working sometimes and not working others is playing with my emotions.
How do you "fix" the situation? Your explanation is the reason why the "fix" was put in the first place. By fixing the "fix", wouldn't that defeat the purpose of what they are trying to do? Certainly Incomm does not want to see this happen since a lot of folks have been buying their VGCs nor does MB or any other card issuer. I don't believe that the issue is with the card issuer.

I understand WM from a business perspective but honestly I don't care. Obviously Amex and WM have a partnership and I am sure Amex would pay WM to keep this alive since they are seeing a lot of folks use their BB/Serve products. Prior to this, how many folks were using the BB/Serve products and I am sure it wasn't popular at all.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond

I understand WM from a business perspective but honestly I don't care. Obviously Amex and WM have a partnership and I am sure Amex would pay WM to keep this alive since they are seeing a lot of folks use their BB/Serve products. Prior to this, how many folks were using the BB/Serve products and I am sure it wasn't popular at all.
Why would Amex pay WM to keep the ability to load via GCs? Amex makes their money off of float and swipes. Loading BB and then immediately offloading via bill pay just costs Amex money. They have the cost of record keeping and payment offloads yet don't get any significant float and there are no swipe fees. The question is really if the additional volume is adding profit to AMEX. Personally, I don't see the benefit to Amex for allowing GCs to be loaded to BB / Serve.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by compddd
Can you get money orders with GC at Ralphs in SoCal?
No. MOs are cash only.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by andyandy
it seems to indicate that the "glitch" may be on Vanilla's end.
If you call up Vanilla customer service after your Vanilla is having problems at Walmart, they *can* see the declined transactions on their end, which may indicate Walmart is putting it through after all.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:22 pm

Any data points on whether OVs are working today?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by 3ZeroT
If you call up Vanilla customer service after your Vanilla is having problems at Walmart, they *can* see the declined transactions on their end, which may indicate Walmart is putting it through after all.
Also the swiped & declined OV cards get their PIN recorded -- in case you don't feel like calling CS.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:39 pm

Any data points on whether OVs are working today?
They don't -- I tried at both the checkout and CS counter (no Kates in my area). Error code 12 every time.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:32 pm

I have a grocery store at which Vanillas also default to Credit. So I don't think it's a walmart issue. Unless both walmart and this store have the same software...
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Zgirl
I won't be purchasing OVs or other Vanilla GCs anymore. They worked fine about a week ago (with multiple swipes though) but now they all are getting declined at my WM. I'm getting tired of driving to multiple grocery stores to do MOs.

It looks like the glitch was fixed.
This.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:08 pm

Interesting. I had an error (01) for the first swipe of a PPDBC load. Second was fine. But, I had no trouble with another debit card earlier this week (not vanilla, not meta). Hard to tell what it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.