Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by farwest101
Sure, your cashiers just LOVE people who come in and swipe multiple times, cause, you know, they like nothing better than to stand around wasting their time Those people behind you have nothing better to do than cool their heels while you swipe merrily away. Crikey.

Penny wise, pound foolish.
Watch and see what the cashiers have to do when someone wants to send money and pays with cash. This can take 10-15 minutes and at my WM they are required to count the cash two times. A $1K MO taking all of 3-4 minutes even with multiple swipes has got to be a relief to them.

MOs are one of the fastest transaction they do daily -- pay attention next time someone wants to return merchandise without a receipt.

And did you see anyone behind me cooling their heels? No, you didn't. Having to make up a false scenario just shows how weak your argument really is. Crikey.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Watch and see what the cashiers have to do when someone wants to send money and pays with cash. This can take 10-15 minutes and at my WM they are required to count the cash two times. A $1K MO taking all of 3-4 minutes even with multiple swipes has got to be a relief to them.

MOs are one of the fastest transaction they do daily -- pay attention next time someone wants to return merchandise without a receipt.

And did you see anyone behind me cooling their heels? No, you didn't. Having to make up a false scenario just shows how weak your argument really is. Crikey.
Sure. You've found the only WM in existence that has no line at the MC

MO are indeed one of the fastest - except when you swipe multiple times...

And why are you comparing MOs to sending money? What does that have to do with anything? The discussion is about purposefully creating issues/delays by using OVs that you know are going to be a problem before you even start. Yet you do it anyway? Seems to me that's similar to one of the definitions of insanity?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by farwest101
Sure. You've found the only WM in existence that has no line at the MC

MO are indeed one of the fastest - except when you swipe multiple times...

And why are you comparing MOs to sending money? What does that have to do with anything? The discussion is about purposefully creating issues/delays by using OVs that you know are going to be a problem before you even start. Yet you do it anyway? Seems to me that's similar to one of the definitions of insanity?
You're claiming that multiple swipes is going to irritate cashiers and somehow cause the loss of this option. I'm showing that they have much more irritating things to deal with. And how is anyone purposely creating delays? We don't know beforehand whether it will go smoothly or not, and it's not under our control whether it does.

The delay is minimal -- my swipes take 10-15 seconds to complete -- but in your mind you've hyperbolized it into something that will change the course of MSing. That's far closer to a definition of insanity -- paranoia, to be exact.

And when I come in in the morning there is indeed no line at the MC -- if it's open. Even in the evening it can be free. There's more to the world than just your anecdotal experience.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:42 am

This is all dependent on context. Some cashiers like to be efficient. Some don't like to appear that they have screwed something up (causing you to multiple swipe). Some just worry about their jobs. Some don't like the manager and don't want you to do something that would draw manager attention to them.

The point is, you don't know what the context is when you walk up to that person behind the register. That is why reading your own context, being aware that your activities are annoying to some and not others, matters. Walking away at the right time to come back later can keep things going. But come on--it depends on each situation. There is no universal for swipes or MS.

I don't know about other stores but the MC at my closest Walmart is sometimes busy, sometimes dead. I also have a working Kate nearby. I think *maybe* 3 people MS in my area.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
This is all dependent on context. Some cashiers like to be efficient. Some don't like to appear that they have screwed something up (causing you to multiple swipe). Some just worry about their jobs. Some don't like the manager and don't want you to do something that would draw manager attention to them.

The point is, you don't know what the context is when you walk up to that person behind the register. That is why reading your own context, being aware that your activities are annoying to some and not others, matters. Walking away at the right time to come back later can keep things going. But come on--it depends on each situation. There is no universal for swipes or MS.

I don't know about other stores but the MC at my closest Walmart is sometimes busy, sometimes dead. I also have a working Kate nearby. I think *maybe* 3 people MS in my area.
Exactly.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:54 am

Can we please move off debating whether multiple swipes is a problem or not?? No one is going to change their opinion. Sometimes i wonder why people act like grade schoolers on these kinds of forums, arguing just to argue, adding nothing to the general discussion.

Agree to disagree, and let your egos cool down for the sake of all those who dont care about your petty arguments. Keep it to PM please.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Has anyone had any issues with USB visas?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Has anyone had any issues with USB visas?
I had issues a few days ago with the USB / Meta Visa's and MC. I think it was just a wonky glitch but it was a rough day for me :-)
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ashap
I had issues a few days ago with the USB / Meta Visa's and MC. I think it was just a wonky glitch but it was a rough day for me :-)
Glad to hear it is working for you.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:01 pm

To be honest, I didn't believe the people who said they have cards that just won't work. But now I have experienced it myself.

I have a couple of cards that just won't take even after 6 swipes. Eventually I couldn't stand hearing Kate scream about it anymore so I just gave up and used them successfully at a grocery store for MO.

No more OV for me.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

None of the OV worked for me today.
Tired of Kate shouting "Card Not Accepted"
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by newuser0
None of the OV worked for me today.
Tired of Kate shouting "Card Not Accepted"
How many time did you try it? After the 3rd swipe (2 rejections) it works.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:45 pm

As I mentioned earlier, going 0 for 6 with a card is not impossible. Some math is needed. I'll explain at the bottom.

Today I had 9 OVs as well as some assorted other debits (no issues with any of them). I kept track of my OV numbers. I wound up going 9/22 in swipes. That was after a nice little rally at the end... I was 5/16 at one point. I also noted for my Kate, a failed attempt cost me exactly 30 seconds. So I scored about 40% today, but I know I did worse yesterday.

But let's be optimistic and say that each card works 50% of the time. I teach 1st grade math, so correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the odds of 6 failed attempts be 1 over 2x2x2x2x2x2 or 1/64? If so, that's not that unreasonable. Don't forget that the 50% was generous too, so it's more likely than 1/64 it would happen to any given card.

I liked my strategy today of having a few metas mixed in. Every time I was having bad luck, or the manager was pacing, I went with a reliable meta.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:16 pm

My suggestion would be

if you are working with a cashier, it's better to try when the system is completely working

if you are dealing with Kate, you can try as many times as you want if there's not a line after you or no walmart person notice you, you know what i mean
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by compddd
Has anyone had OV work with Kate today?
Yes, I did. It took two swipes (today). Funny thing - it was one that I was ready to go spend on just about anything as it had failed on the 4 previous trips where other OV's had worked. This card had about a dozen swipes total. A couple/three at a time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.