Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:30 am

Programs: Several dozen
Like MSing. For years I drained IRAs and used the rollover window to "loan" the money to the banking systems through BoA, UFB, SunTrust and others via the old coin on a string routine. If there is one the banking crisis taught me it was the importance of keeping the American banking system capitalized. Then the government went and changed changed the IRA regs.

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
...there are much better investment opportunities....
Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:35 am

At the MoneyCenter, I'll tell the cashier that I want to buy 20+ $1000 MOs. But I want to do each $1K purchase separately with 3 debit swipes.
Wrong method!
Old Nov 4, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by devnull
Wrong method!
You didn't answer my question. Which Walmarts are you using so I can MS there since they much more lenient than my Walmarts. City and street as a minimum, please.

And if you want to enlighten all of us on the correct method to MS efficiently, that would be great. Your two word response is not helpful.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Folks it seems several members have temporarily forgotten that the topic of this thread is Simon mall gift card so let's please return to that and leave other matters for other threads.

tcook052
MS forum moderator
Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:14 am

I think that this is a brilliant time saving plan. Thanks for pointing out the folly of my overly cautious ways. Mileage Goblin, DFW's also close to me. Can you also give me a list of WMs you use including which ones WF codes as grocers?
You should always be pushing the limit with WM to see what you can get away with. Even be friendly with employees you regularly see to see if they will "skirt" store rules.

As for your WM request, I can't give that out. Someone took a shotgun to my golden goose that had unlimited MO. I can tell you that Neighborhood markets get coded as Grocers. To keep on-topic, I will also tell you that the Simon's in Allen and Garland now track your purchases in the company computer system...
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Like MSing. For years I drained IRAs and used the rollover window to "loan" the money to the banking systems through BoA, UFB, SunTrust and others via the old coin on a string routine. If there is one the banking crisis taught me it was the importance of keeping the American banking system capitalized. Then the government went and changed changed the IRA regs.
I'm not sure I understand how that was particularly beneficial to you. When you withdrew the funds from your IRA for 59 days and put it into a CD to get the interest, it wasn't earning interest inside the IRA for those 59 days. Why not just invest in a CD *within* the IRA and keep the gain tax-deferred?

And if you really needed the cash from the 59 days of interest, you could have just as well set up a SEPP and withdraw some from IRA on a regular basis.

The MS technique that I miss most is purchasing I-bonds using credit cards. That was, by far, one of the best techniques that ever existed.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Gold
So I go to my usual SM yesterday and the lady finally asks the dreaded question, "What are you buying all these cards for?". My first thought was to say, "None of your f-in business", but I was in a good mood and it was a very polite and friendly question. Told her I did it for the miles but didn't go into further detail. She proceeds to tell me that there are A LOT of people who come in to buy cards and it has increased over the past few weeks. I guess they got some memo regarding credit cards used for SMGC purchases and to double/triple check the ID and card because of CC fraud around the holidays. I knew there were a few of us out here in the Midwest, but didn't think it was a big community. Apparently I was wrong. Luckily there are a lot of outlets here to utilize...for now.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by crazy_p.o.w.
So I go to my usual SM yesterday and the lady finally asks the dreaded question, "What are you buying all these cards for?". My first thought was to say, "None of your f-in business", but I was in a good mood and it was a very polite and friendly question. Told her I did it for the miles but didn't go into further detail. She proceeds to tell me that there are A LOT of people who come in to buy cards and it has increased over the past few weeks. I guess they got some memo regarding credit cards used for SMGC purchases and to double/triple check the ID and card because of CC fraud around the holidays. I knew there were a few of us out here in the Midwest, but didn't think it was a big community. Apparently I was wrong. Luckily there are a lot of outlets here to utilize...for now.
Which mall did you go to? I'm from midwest.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by trueblue84
Which mall did you go to? I'm from midwest.
Castleton Square Mall in Indianapolis.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: AS MVP GOLD, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Surprised... [experience at Simon Mall]

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to MS'ing, just did about $2,000 in the past two months (following the take-it-slow rule to learn and not lose $$).
Yesterday I went to a Simon MalL to pick up two $500 VGC's.
When I asked the clerk that I wanted to buy a couple of giftcards, he asked how many, I then said two $500 ones for the upcoming shopping season and he goes "Oh that's it? I thought you were one of those guys that come here to buy 20 or 30 at a time. They spend $10,000 to $15,000 at a time"

I looked surprised and commented something like "Wow, they really like to shop with GC''s don't they".
His answer was "No actually they say they do that thing about making a #$#@load of points with credit cards, wish I knew how it's done".

My jaw dropped (in my head), I thanked him and left.

I can't believe there's some MS'ers that tell store clerks what they are doing!

That's how Target and hard coded registries happen imho.

Wish there folks would be less sharing of how "cool" their ms'ING accomplishments are out there, and keep their success stories to this board.

Leo
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:25 am

I cant believe that anyone believes that statements made to clerks has any effect on corporate policies.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by Kudu19
Hi everyone,

I'm very new to MS'ing, just did about $2,000 in the past two months (following the take-it-slow rule to learn and not lose $$).
Yesterday I went to a Simon MalL to pick up two $500 VGC's.
When I asked the clerk that I wanted to buy a couple of giftcards, he asked how many, I then said two $500 ones for the upcoming shopping season and he goes "Oh that's it? I thought you were one of those guys that come here to buy 20 or 30 at a time. They spend $10,000 to $15,000 at a time"

I looked surprised and commented something like "Wow, they really like to shop with GC''s don't they".
His answer was "No actually they say they do that thing about making a #$#@load of points with credit cards, wish I knew how it's done".

My jaw dropped (in my head), I thanked him and left.

I can't believe there's some MS'ers that tell store clerks what they are doing!

That's how Target and hard coded registries happen imho.

Wish there folks would be less sharing of how "cool" their ms'ING accomplishments are out there, and keep their success stories to this board.

Leo
Oftentimes it is better to share a little bit of 'inside information' with a friendly CSR than to have them look at you suspiciously as though you were doing something wrong, or perhaps illegal.

By knowing you are in it for frequent travel as opposed to credit card fraud, they are more likely to be friendly and helpful.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: AS MVP GOLD, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PittPoints
I cant believe that anyone believes that statements made to clerks has any effect on corporate policies.
Well, again imho and based on my knowledge of corporate, they are connected in some way to the stores, so if more than one clerk goes to a store manager to "tell the story" of these customers who spends $10,000-$15,000 on GC's, a manager may or may not talk about it with his piers or at the next sales/store meeting with the regional directors and so on and on... someone, somewhere may catch wind and shut it down cause:
1) He can't do it
2) No one else can do it if he can't.
3) Wants a promotion and decides to shut down "a flaw in their system" to look good with their bosses.
4) Many other reasons.

Again, YMMV, if you want to talk about it with the clerks then you may or may not impact your own MS'ing.

I prefer to keep what I'm doing to myself and come up with creative and logical ways for clerks to not question why and what I'm doing.

Leo
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Kudu19
Well, again imho and based on my knowledge of corporate, they are connected in some way to the stores, so if more than one clerk goes to a store manager to "tell the story" of these customers who spends $10,000-$15,000 on GC's, a manager may or may not talk about it with his piers or at the next sales/store meeting with the regional directors and so on and on... someone, somewhere may catch wind and shut it down cause:
1) He can't do it
2) No one else can do it if he can't.
3) Wants a promotion and decides to shut down "a flow in their system" to look good with their bosses.
4) Many other reasons.

Again, YMMV, if you want to talk about it with the clerks then you may or may not impact your own MS'ing.

I prefer to keep what I'm doing to myself and come up with creative and logical ways for clerks to not question why and what I'm doing.

Leo

Sometimes when asked, I will just say that I am doing a home remodel and I give this to my contractors to buy materials. Makes budgeting easier, tracking purchases and don't have issues with payment or money going missing.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:51 am

I'm bummed. Closest Simon Mall is over an hour away from me. Had my first experience buying these while I was in Vegas last month.

Going to FL this w/e, will def hit them again, there are 3 malls near where we will be. I've been in a lull since the AGC/portal cash back died.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.