Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), Hyatt PLT, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
My local Simon Mall reports that it will be getting a new POS next week that will allow the customer to swipe their own cards again. It may or may not support AP.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by g1ant
My local Simon Mall reports that it will be getting a new POS next week that will allow the customer to swipe their own cards again. It may or may not support AP.
My SM had the new POS installed Thursday. I asked if they take AP and they said no. I tried and informed them AP works. And, yes, you swipe your own cards now. You still tell them how much you want on a card, then swipe, do the same for cards 2, 3, 4,.... There's nothing like having the regular CS introduce you to the new one to get them prepared for my visits. Hopefully, SM won't pull a CVS w/ AP.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 4:49 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
AP = Amazon Payments?
Old Oct 31, 2015, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by dingo
AP = Amazon Payments?
Apple Pay
Old Oct 31, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: Several dozen
Be prepared for a few days of SNAFU downtime if my experience with the new POS in South Florida and Vegas is any indication.

Originally Posted by g1ant
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:13 am

Can I ask why the benefit to them accepting Apple Pay is? I'm guessing the Discover Card bonus? Anything else? Thanks.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 12:52 pm

A cashier at my local Macerich mall said they have a new system in place in won't allow split payments. Is she full of BS? I have noticed that the way the transaction goes through has changed, and they've been using a tablet for a couple months now.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
Can I ask why the benefit to them accepting Apple Pay is? I'm guessing the Discover Card bonus? Anything else? Thanks.
My guess is if Simon eventually switches to the chip enabled card readers, the option to accept mobile payments would be there as one of the options. The business can either choose to opt in or opt out.

I see NFC-based contactless terminals as the future in making payments. Many small business in my area who switched to the chip card reader terminals as suggested by banks back on October 1st have done so with the mobile payments feature activated as well. As such, I'm finding more businesses taking AP and in many of these instances, the employees/ cashiers didn't even know that the feature is turned on.

Just the other day, I went to a deli shop and used AP. The cashier (college aged kid) didn't even know about it and was so amazed that she's planning on trying it out for herself.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Chelski
My SM had the new POS installed Thursday. I asked if they take AP and they said no. I tried and informed them AP works. And, yes, you swipe your own cards now. You still tell them how much you want on a card, then swipe, do the same for cards 2, 3, 4,.... There's nothing like having the regular CS introduce you to the new one to get them prepared for my visits. Hopefully, SM won't pull a CVS w/ AP.
I did my very first SM purchase today (newbie!). I asked for 4 $500 cards and had to swipe my cc just once. Or are you referring to swiping the GC themselves (which she did).

Is the AGC ban hard coded? Or they just ask to see the card before you swipe?
Old Oct 31, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: USAir, UA, AA, BA, Hyatt, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by silver6054
I did my very first SM purchase today (newbie!). I asked for 4 $500 cards and had to swipe my cc just once. Or are you referring to swiping the GC themselves (which she did).

Is the AGC ban hard coded? Or they just ask to see the card before you swipe?
Referring to split payment across multiple CC's.

AGC is not hard coded, but CSR's are very well trained to not accept
Old Oct 31, 2015, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Be prepared for a few days of SNAFU downtime if my experience with the new POS in South Florida and Vegas is any indication.
Yes - Same here. Simon has been down for about 3 or 4 days.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiffyjiff
Referring to split payment across multiple CC's.

AGC is not hard coded, but CSR's are very well trained to not accept
And they are marked for making mistakes, such as forget about the forms, not make sure all the necessary info are filled out on the form, accidentally accept AGCs, etc etc They could be let go if enough mistakes are made.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:22 pm

Made a couple purchases in South Florida after being out of town since Spring.

One SM had me fill out a form, saying the form is needed for any sale over $499. I was purchasin 3x500. Filled out the form and then the CSR called somewhere to advise on my transaction...almost sounded like asking for permission to complete the sale.

Other SM was MUCH better, just showed ID and the CSR said it could sell me up to 10k. No forms filled.

Both cases I swiped my own card and signed. No chip or NFC yet.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
Nothing to do with discover bonus, but of course that's a possibility.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Yes - Same here. Simon has been down for about 3 or 4 days.
Mine has been down for over a week. They have the GC in the management office for purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.