FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1555831-stores-sell-500-gcs-up-2019-a.html)

Lappie Apr 14, 2014 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by xoxx (Post 22690567)
How is winn dixie treating people for large GC purchases?
Even though I and the cashier know that the machine allows CC, they always tell me cash or debit when I try to buy 3k, then I ask what the limit is for CC and she says all GC's are always cash or debit (Even though I was there the day before buying 1k with CC.)
Any experience? Self checkout maybe?

At my Winn Dixie I have found that $1000 (2 x $500 Univision) seems to be the sweet spot without issue.

rdover1 Apr 14, 2014 2:34 pm

There is a social interaction flaw in trying to escalate against a "cash only" position. Almost always when someone makes up a rule in those situations it is very hard for anyone to back down without looking foolish or out right wrong. Most managers or supervisors will instinctively agree with the original teller out of support. Their objective is to move to the next customer and ride out their shift. And now the idea of "cash only" has just been reinforced, even though it was probably never a rule in the first place.

So escalating may make one feel better and empowered but is very unlikely to result in a different outcome at that point in time and has a reasonable possibility of becoming an entrenched position.

Your experience may be different and complaining gets you results, and if so good for you. Maybe you can report back your success rate and validate or contradict this view?

Originally Posted by jan_believes (Post 22691640)
There's always a reason to clarify a policy when one believes there may be some incorrect information given. Despite all the misgivings (charitable description), no one here will be hurt by my decision to speak to a supervisor. And, no one will be hurt by someone's else decision to do so, either.

I don't want to change the behavior of those who continue to try to push me around on this matter with regard to your MS activity. And, I don't have the power to negatively affect whatever you are doing either. The jeopardy referred to over and over is your angst, not mine. Whatever is driving you all, I don't suffer from it.

But, feel free to be "as you were."

tsmith12 Apr 14, 2014 8:19 pm

Lately I've been having issues using my CC to buy GCs at the local grocery stores. The minute they see $1k+, they reinforce the "cash only" rule. If I just buy $500, they let it slide by telling me they are doing it as a "one-time" exception. Really annoying.

bits0w Apr 14, 2014 8:47 pm

I would suggest that any Bestern Mass/Northern CT FTers check out their local Big Y for VGCs.

mrmandel Apr 15, 2014 12:29 am

Shaw's/Star Market requires manager override for anything over $300.

stils Apr 16, 2014 9:23 am

Found some $20-$500 Visa and MC variables at a Winn Dixie in West palm beach, FL. I didn't buy because I wasn't sure I could load to bluebird since they are issued by university national bank. After doing some research (which didn't work well on my phone at the store) it would appear these do work and the pin is the last 4 digits on the card (for the visa).
Now I just have to go back and buy the cards and hope they will take credit.

silver6054 Apr 16, 2014 9:27 am

Originally Posted by mrmandel (Post 22706304)
Shaw's/Star Market requires manager override for anything over $300.

Depends. I have bought $500 at Shaw without any override needed.

cdancer20 Apr 21, 2014 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Lappie (Post 22703475)
At my Winn Dixie I have found that $1000 (2 x $500 Univision) seems to be the sweet spot without issue.

I have had no issue with $1k at Winn Dixie either. I haven't tried more though.

seven6zero Apr 22, 2014 11:41 am

Anyone in SoCal have any luck? I have tried multiple Albertsons, Ralphs, Vons etc. No VGCs

None of these other stores exist down here. :(

tigermark82 Apr 22, 2014 11:49 am

Originally Posted by tuphat (Post 22583329)
As may have been mentioned earlier, Harris Teeter has $500 GCs of several flavors. And they're usually upscale enough so that someone buying several, e.g., gifts for grand kids, doesn't raise a lot of alarms.

I tried buying a couple the other day at one of my Harris Teeter locations. The cashier tried to ring it up, and after calling the manager over I was told "no credit cards". It seemed to be hard coded, but I can't be sure. I have 3 harris teeters close to my house, so it's possible it's just the one, but I haven't been motivated to try again.

hamhead Apr 22, 2014 11:52 am

Originally Posted by tigermark82 (Post 22742752)
I tried buying a couple the other day at one of my Harris Teeter locations. The cashier tried to ring it up, and after calling the manager over I was told "no credit cards". It seemed to be hard coded, but I can't be sure. I have 3 harris teeters close to my house, so it's possible it's just the one, but I haven't been motivated to try again.

I've bought GCs at 4+ locations around here in NC and never had an issue. I generally only buy $500 at a time.

jan_believes Apr 22, 2014 1:55 pm

Reporting back from a Kroger city while on travel.

Today I got the courage to ask if I could split tender from two CCs. It threw the gals for a loop (ie, discussion) but one agreed to try it.

Reason: I have a BCE that has a $500 limit. Since I want that 3 percent back to take the ouchie off of the fees when I use miles and points cards, this was important to me. Back to report...

It worked, no problem. Later, I took someone to another Kroger to get a few groceries, and I used my other BCE (with a better limit) to score another GC.

While here I got my grocery category covered with my BOA CB and when I travel again, I can go back to miles and points. :)

nakataboi Apr 23, 2014 2:12 am

Originally Posted by seven6zero (Post 22742692)
Anyone in SoCal have any luck? I have tried multiple Albertsons, Ralphs, Vons etc. No VGCs

None of these other stores exist down here. :(

Also would love to know. Both Ralphs that I was able to do this at earlier this year do not allow it anymore....

Orange county area

commdiver Apr 23, 2014 5:37 am

Originally Posted by tigermark82 (Post 22742752)

I tried at a few Harris Teeters back in January when I was in NC. I was not denied a single time (I got $500 once and $1,000 each time after that). I would just go to another Harris Teeter.

alymae1010 Apr 23, 2014 7:37 am

Purchased a $500 variable VGC card at Schnucks (STL area). Cards are not out on the racks, but you can buy them at the customer service desk.