FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1555831-stores-sell-500-gcs-up-2019-a.html)

zceuxbhjutf Apr 11, 2014 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by jmw (Post 22688887)
Cash only, not enforced by the register - Supervisor is likely the one who made the policy. Social engineering is needed to get around it.

This means there is no good reason to talk to a manager

Word.

Do enough MSing at groceries and things become extremely obvious...

1. Success rates are very good

2. Success rates with managers are not as good, and frankly have very few data points cuz you'd have to be an idiot to jeopardize point 1...

xoxx Apr 11, 2014 4:20 pm

How is winn dixie treating people for large GC purchases?
Even though I and the cashier know that the machine allows CC, they always tell me cash or debit when I try to buy 3k, then I ask what the limit is for CC and she says all GC's are always cash or debit (Even though I was there the day before buying 1k with CC.)
Any experience? Self checkout maybe?

jan_believes Apr 11, 2014 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf (Post 22690084)
Word.

Do enough MSing at groceries and things become extremely obvious...

1. Success rates are very good

2. Success rates with managers are not as good, and frankly have very few data points cuz you'd have to be an idiot to jeopardize point 1...

There's always a reason to clarify a policy when one believes there may be some incorrect information given. Despite all the misgivings (charitable description), no one here will be hurt by my decision to speak to a supervisor. And, no one will be hurt by someone's else decision to do so, either.

I don't want to change the behavior of those who continue to try to push me around on this matter with regard to your MS activity. And, I don't have the power to negatively affect whatever you are doing either. The jeopardy referred to over and over is your angst, not mine. Whatever is driving you all, I don't suffer from it.

But, feel free to be "as you were."

hamhead Apr 11, 2014 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by xoxx (Post 22690567)
How is winn dixie treating people for large GC purchases?
Even though I and the cashier know that the machine allows CC, they always tell me cash or debit when I try to buy 3k, then I ask what the limit is for CC and she says all GC's are always cash or debit (Even though I was there the day before buying 1k with CC.)
Any experience? Self checkout maybe?

Perhaps you should start somewhere other than $3k.

How many people come through Winn Dixie spending $3k? Your first transactions with cashiers should be small so as to make them not be nervous.

carterb Apr 11, 2014 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes (Post 22666993)
I'm sorry, who's gonna shut me down? Kroger sure didn't. And, I did each transaction separately with multiple cards. They stood right by me at the self checkout with their "gun-looking" device, looked at my DL, pushed all the buttons and just did their job with no complaints. EVEN with fraud alerts that I had to call and clear.

I would definitely do multiple transactions there again. What an opportunity to use my CCs with 5% and 2% back on grocery purchases. And, then walk over to the service desk and liquidate.

Too bad the grocer near me where I am this week doesn't offer the $500 variable load Visa GCs. :(

But, for now, I will be content with Simon. :)

Could you share which CCs you have that earn you 5% and 2% back on grocery?

silver6054 Apr 11, 2014 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by carterb (Post 22691745)
Could you share which CCs you have that earn you 5% and 2% back on grocery?

Don't know about J_B, but several cards give 5%

Amex Blue Cash
3 cards from Wells Fargo
2 cards from TD
(and expiring/expired for most) Citi 5x TYP.

AlohaDaveKennedy Apr 12, 2014 6:15 am

You make it sound like we all need to use social engineering to effectively MS. ;)

Originally Posted by jmw (Post 22679058)
You are doing this wrong. I don't back down from a store just because one cashier says cash only when the registers are not hard coded. But your approach stinks. It draws unwanted attention that could lead to a cash only memo/team meeting directive to all of the cashiers. It's also a waste of time since you're talking to someone much more likely to say no. You want to deal EXCLUSIVELY with the friendly folks and AVOID the unfriendly ones (eg. supervisors who knows the in-house rules).

We MS the same cash only stores enough times that we know all of the cashiers. We profile them and figure out which ones are friendly. Knowing all of the cashiers is part of the "job". It's usually possible to find at least one friendly cashier during the busy part of the day when there are many open lanes. We gossip with them and compliment them on their nails, hair, good lucks, smile, etc. Finally, amounts are sometimes kept to under the $500 override limit unless the cashier has the override card already.

Right now, there is a promotion on fixed value cards. If there are friendly cashiers, we shoot for the $500s at the cash only store. If none of them are available, we'll buy one $200 and call it a day.

maksimfa Apr 12, 2014 11:54 am

For grocery stores, particularly for reloadit cards, I would buy 1 at cashier, the go and buy 4 or 5 cards at customer service. I have yet to be told no there. The people at the desks seem to be more comfortable with large transactions. Cashiers may not be.

Fortunately more than one chain.

zceuxbhjutf Apr 12, 2014 2:03 pm

Whatever is driving you all, I don't suffer from it.
Exploiting loopholes is driving me. Buying stuff that some idiot wrote "Cash Only" on. Pretending GCs are something else. Playing my hand with stealth, precision, and the proper tools LOL.

ianmanka Apr 14, 2014 12:48 am

Updated wiki to reflect the difference between Acme (Albertsons-owned chain in DE/MD/NJ/PA) and Acme Fresh Market (20-store chain in Northeast OH), based on reports from this thread, not via any experience of my own. Those who live in those areas, correct as appropriate.

CaptainMiles Apr 14, 2014 3:55 am

Yesterday I bought some $500 Metabank gift cards at A&P. I had never seen $500s at A&P, but did now. Added A&P to the wiki.

hamhead Apr 14, 2014 7:41 am

As an update, I was shot down at Food Lion yesterday. Cashier asked manager who said no go.

She (the cashier) told me that the reason they don't take credit is that if I don't make a payment on my credit card after buying the GC then the store doesn't get the money. LOL.

Sometimes it is so hard to walk away in this game without saying something.

jan_believes Apr 14, 2014 7:51 am

Originally Posted by hamhead (Post 22701773)
As an update, I was shot down at Food Lion yesterday. Cashier asked manager who said no go.

She (the cashier) told me that the reason they don't take credit is that if I don't make a payment on my credit card after buying the GC then the store doesn't get the money. LOL.

The poster child for "make it up as you go along". However, her intentions were good, LOL.

Captain Miles, thanks for adding to the WIKI.

A&P: now that's a blast from the past.

CaptainMiles Apr 14, 2014 10:10 am

Originally Posted by jan_believes (Post 22701812)
A&P: now that's a blast from the past.

Indeed. The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company

TheGreatMongo Apr 14, 2014 11:49 am

Originally Posted by hamhead (Post 22701773)

:confused::confused:

haha, i once had a cvs shift supervisor told me that they can't sell it to me b/c i could close/cancel my credit card and thus cvs will not get paid.

wth, we have people running stores who don't even know the basics principle of sales transaction.