FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1555831-stores-sell-500-gcs-up-2019-a.html)

jmw May 15, 2014 10:31 am

Originally Posted by therealhershey (Post 22869095)
Are you using ShopKick and Plink? http://hackmytrip.com/2014/03/new-wa...facture-spend/

I'm hoping to take advantage of them.

Good luck trying to get OD to let you pay with a credit card to buy VGC. They are cash only. I'll be very surprised you can make this work.

DaveInLA May 15, 2014 4:39 pm

A lot of the local Vons stores in my area that used to sell Visa/MC gift cards using credit card are now cash/debit only. I've tried going at different times, different cashiers, and it's almost universal. I think it's coming from the top. I've now tried 4 different Vons/Pavilions stores in the Long Beach area, been shot down on all of them.

trippinbilly May 15, 2014 4:46 pm

I had an interesting experience at an HT. I was buying a $100 vgc for a graduation gift. I was told by a customer service manager that they were cash/debit only. This is a store I shop at frequently for groceries and cards. I asked if it was a policy change and he said it had been like that for years. No problem buying 500 card the next day at a different location.

sosamo May 15, 2014 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 22871349)
A lot of the local Vons stores in my area that used to sell Visa/MC gift cards using credit card are now cash/debit only. I've tried going at different times, different cashiers, and it's almost universal. I think it's coming from the top. I've now tried 4 different Vons/Pavilions stores in the Long Beach area, been shot down on all of them.

I went to Vons in 626, Ca. I bought a 500.00 vgc 3 days ago with CC. No problem. I went today. Cashier with the word "supervisor" on her name tag said,"cash/debit only". I said,"I just bought one a few days ago". She said,"I'll ask the manager". A girl that is younger than her, looks at my ID and CC. Approved it, and I was on my way.

Corridor! May 15, 2014 7:10 pm

Does anyone know if you can purchase two GC's for $500 each in the same transaction at Jewel?

PaulMSN May 16, 2014 11:27 am

Originally Posted by bvlova (Post 22874885)
At some Kr0g3r stores...

You really don't need the letter substitutions, and it makes it way harder to read.

VizeL May 16, 2014 11:33 am

Ah, I miss Krogers...used to love shopping there at all hours of the day especially 3am.

payeco May 16, 2014 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by bvlova (Post 22874885)
At some Kr0g3r stores around my region I could purchase $494.05 K visas cards. VS. No hassle, if not in bulk ;). I am begining to love Kr0g3r!
At their FD, I can acquire MO with impressive easiness, compared to Wally's.
To c@$|-| a MO at K--> I couldn't at another store.* It has to be at the same store, same one where I had purchased it.* :) First time ! Didn't know: just one month of experience. I didn't want to deposit again and agina on ACH. C@$h deposits may be the best.
Slow rider here.
Also, feeling the atmosphere of the store helps a lot. Some employees are very discontent with their jobs or something else... They can discount on you! It's amazing the difference between the "Upscale" (novue.riche) and "-more.like.keeping-low profile" store ambience are, and how they treat you. What you expect is inversely proportional to the status quo or income, for some cultural reason, I do believe.

Just a perception.

Was there a coherent thought anywhere this post?

Blueskyheaven May 16, 2014 12:40 pm

which stores in simon malls they sell visa gift cards?

Tuppins May 16, 2014 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven (Post 22875553)

Spencer Gifts (aka, "Spencer's"). They're usually in the back of the store.

cdancer20 May 17, 2014 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven (Post 22875553)

Originally Posted by Tuppins (Post 22875587)
Spencer Gifts (aka, "Spencer's"). They're usually in the back of the store.

In my mall, they are a separate kiosk for customer information. You will know them b/c they have a rack full of different gift cards.

jan_believes May 20, 2014 11:22 am

I do wish I understood the wisdom of turning this thread into a free for all category of stores when it was established for the grocery store category and was doing quite nicely with that focus, IMHO.

Simon GCs are now being discussed when there are more than enough threads discussing that financial instrument, particularly:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ethods-ms.html

I didn't see any finesse activity applied to that thread, as could have been done.

OD is more than well represented elsewhere, too.

I sincerely and humbly request that it be restored to add the word "Grocery" back to the title. TY for considering.

TOMFORD May 21, 2014 6:46 am

Is the $500 GC from Kroger the variable type or the pre-fixed value type? Anyone had success purchasing them recently?

blt7cd May 21, 2014 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by agp423 (Post 22899702)
Is the $500 GC from Kroger the variable type or the pre-fixed value type? Anyone had success purchasing them recently?

The ones I buy are variable load $20-$500 Visas. I bought one a few days ago but they are getting harder to find in my local store. Fixed $100/$200 cards are everywhere though.

wolfie787 May 21, 2014 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by agp423 (Post 22899702)

Variable $20-$500. The shelves have been replenished and I bought one today! :)