FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1555831-stores-sell-500-gcs-up-2019-a.html)

repvip Mar 25, 2014 12:53 am

Originally Posted by chuckywang (Post 22433243)
You must have a lot of free time, geez. Go someplace to buy prepaid visa card, go to walmart or grocery store to buy MO, go to bank to deposit it. Time and gas just doesn't seem worth it.

Do you have anything constructive to add?

For those that are new, this seems to be one of the best routes to go. Especially if you don't want to get burned. Or CVS is not available. You can meet minimum spend requirements easy, while still getting your feet wet in the world of MS.

I don't understand what your (and a lot of other "experienced" users) MO is. Are you fluffing your post count? Bragging? Or just demeaning others?

People like you are the ones on here bragging about how great their MS game is, how much they make because they are such a heavy hitter, and then you wonder why you have a ton of newbies coming along who are wanting to know what it is you do. You can't have it both ways.

Your post makes it sound like you either MS online exclusively, or you simply abuse CVS to the max.

If FT is going to limit newbies to the MS forum, perhaps they should start a newbie MS forum that has limited access as well--for newbies by newbies...

This thread has benefited me, and I thank everyone who has contributed. Perhaps we can get back on topic?

What about Associated Foods grocers? I have seen the VGC's, but have yet to try it out.

tuphat Mar 25, 2014 3:20 am

As may have been mentioned earlier, Harris Teeter has $500 GCs of several flavors. And they're usually upscale enough so that someone buying several, e.g., gifts for grand kids, doesn't raise a lot of alarms.

jan_believes Mar 25, 2014 11:50 am

Deleted.

cdancer20 Mar 25, 2014 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by jonnyd13 (Post 22429407)
Winn Dixie, Sweetbay

I never thought to check Sweetbay. Thanks. I'm sure that soon or later, Winn-Dixie only will look too redundant on my CCs.

junooni Apr 7, 2014 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes (Post 22581849)
Just wanted to update what I did. I bought the variable $500 VGCs at Kroger and was required to submit my DL no. to the cashier upon each purchase.

Had no issues with multiple swipes at the Kroger service desk to liquidate the GCs via MOs. Max was $1k and fee was $.69. Every cashier I worked with was great! :)

I tried getting a MO at Krogers and the person flat out told me it was cash only, even though I waived by real debit card at her instead of a GC. Anything I am missing or is this YMMV scenario as well? :confused:

trippinbilly Apr 7, 2014 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat (Post 22583329)
As may have been mentioned earlier, Harris Teeter has $500 GCs of several flavors. And they're usually upscale enough so that someone buying several, e.g., gifts for grand kids, doesn't raise a lot of alarms.

2 cards needs a manager override for >1k. I do it if the store isn't busy. Need DL even for 1

uncommonsensical Apr 7, 2014 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by junooni (Post 22666600)
I tried getting a MO at Krogers and the person flat out told me it was cash only, even though I waived by real debit card at her instead of a GC. Anything I am missing or is this YMMV scenario as well? :confused:

mom let me stay up late. dad didn't. when i went to the fair as a child and was just about right at the 'you must be THIS tall to ride this ride', some of the stoned runaway gate keepers let it slide and others turned me away. @ dairy queen the lady never gave me anything free and sometimes made my dipped cone really really small. while sometimes the nice old man told me 'my money was no good there today and it was on the house' (we were really poor, in hindsight, i think maybe he knew that). the ymmv aspect of life sunk in pretty early.

if you even read the forum a little tiny infinitesimal amount, you would know that everything with a human decision maker in MS is, not surprisingly, ymmv- just like life.

some follow the rules, some don't, some don't care, some make up their own, some think they know the rules but don't, some profile you based on your appearance and think you look suspicious, some........ some ............... some are having a good day some are having a..................... some.................... ∞

junooni Apr 7, 2014 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical (Post 22666808)
mom let me stay up late. dad didn't. when i went to the fair as a child and was just about right at the 'you must be THIS tall to ride this ride', some of the stoned runaway gate keepers let it slide and others turned me away. @ dairy queen the lady never gave me anything free and sometimes made my dipped cone really really small. while sometimes the nice old man told me 'my money was no good there today and it was on the house' (we were really poor, in hindsight, i think maybe he knew that). the ymmv aspect of life sunk in pretty early.

if you even read the forum a little tiny infinitesimal amount, you would know that everything with a human decision maker in MS is, not surprisingly, ymmv- just like life.

some follow the rules, some don't, some don't care, some make up their own, some think they know the rules but don't, some profile you based on your appearance and think you look suspicious, some........ some ............... some are having a good day some are having a..................... some.................... ∞

Appreciate the long winded response, and I have been reading the forums for a couple of months before I dabbled in doing MS myself, however reading something and actually doing it is quite a different experience. So far I am just looking at small amounts of $500 a month just to get the hang of it, but was bit flustered on not getting an MO at Krogers even with a real debit card. Anyways, will try again and thanks again for the advice :)

jan_believes Apr 7, 2014 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by junooni (Post 22666600)

Anyone?

junooni Apr 7, 2014 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes (Post 22666855)
Hi, thanks for the post. :)

I am so sorry but I can't tell you why some peeps do what they do. I guess it is a YMMV. When I started this thread, I was about to leave on a trip where Kroger was the MAIN store in the 100K population town so my transactions at Kroger were my first ones there. Very used to another monopoly grocer in the SW accepting almost anything I want without batting an eyelash.

For me, Kroger was pretty easy and everyone was nice.

Not that you should do this but if you are in that store again sometime, maybe ask for a supervisor at the service desk to see if someone QUICKLY trained and a bit reactive might have misrepresented the store policy. Best wishes! :)

Great advice! I will check again later in the week and try to use my real debit card again to see how it goes. If it goes smoothly, I will try a similar small amount with the GC another day before trying to do multiple swipes. Hate to spook out the folks there if they are already paranoid from some prior MS'ers :D

catonis Apr 7, 2014 7:06 pm

I live in Western New York where Wegmans and Tops are the two biggest grocery chains. I have found nothing over $200 GC.

rtwvagabond Apr 7, 2014 7:09 pm

Grocery stores are way more conservative than CVS. In my experience, they definitely don't want someone coming in daily/frequently and buying thousand(s) worth of GCs. They'll likely shut you down.

cevawn Apr 7, 2014 7:18 pm

I live in western NY too and no luck on wegmans, tops, jubillee, or mieners. Further north Hannafords does sell $500 gcs though.

jan_believes Apr 7, 2014 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by rtwvagabond (Post 22666931)
Grocery stores are way more conservative than CVS. In my experience, they definitely don't want someone coming in daily/frequently and buying thousand(s) worth of GCs. They'll likely shut you down.

rtwvagabond Apr 7, 2014 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes (Post 22666993)
I'm sorry, who's gonna shut me down? Kroger sure didn't. And, I did each transaction separately with multiple cards. They stood right by me at the self checkout with their "gun-looking" device, looked at my DL, pushed all the buttons and just did their job with no complaints. EVEN with fraud alerts that I had to call and clear.

I would definitely do multiple transactions there again. What an opportunity to use my CCs with 5% and 2% back on grocery purchases. Too bad the grocer near me where I am this week doesn't offer the $500 variable load Visa GCs. :(

But, for now, I will be content with Simon. :)

We'll see how long it keeps up. Don't be surprised if some higher up in the district/corporate starts noticing large GC purchases and starts asking the store(s) questions about who is buying.