FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1555831-stores-sell-500-gcs-up-2019-a.html)

tsmith12 Apr 23, 2014 10:40 am

Originally Posted by nakataboi (Post 22746317)
Also would love to know. Both Ralphs that I was able to do this at earlier this year do not allow it anymore....

Orange county area

I've bought GCs at Ralphs, Vons, Albertsons, and Stater Bros. There were a few stores that didn't let me use a CC, but the trick is to just buy one and test it out. They are more willing to let you use your CC for just one card as opposed to 3-4 where they get suspicious and scared. Once you've been there a few times and they know you, you can buy more GCs.

Happy Apr 23, 2014 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Lappie (Post 22703475)
At my Winn Dixie I have found that $1000 (2 x $500 Univision) seems to be the sweet spot without issue.

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22738211)
I have had no issue with $1k at Winn Dixie either. I haven't tried more though.

Found out today that $1500 can be purchased, but then the register would block any further purchase after that.

Need to experiment if $1K, $1K, $1K ... would work or not. Really want to be able to more than $2K in total on each trip. The reason buying at Winn Dixie is, AMEX HHonors only earns 5x at grocery store. Also here PayPower is available at $3.95 versus OV at $4.95 at CVS.

sechs Apr 23, 2014 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by tsmith12 (Post 22748224)
I've bought GCs at Ralphs, Vons, Albertsons, and Stater Bros. There were a few stores that didn't let me use a CC, but the trick is to just buy one and test it out. They are more willing to let you use your CC for just one card as opposed to 3-4 where they get suspicious and scared. Once you've been there a few times and they know you, you can buy more GCs.

Except for needing supervisor approval, I've had no problems at Albertsons, Ralphs, or Vons.

I was denied at a Pavilions today. This was my first total refusal to sell with credit card. Surprised, as this is basically a higher-end Vons in a "good" neighborhood.

jan_believes Apr 24, 2014 10:20 am

I went out of town for Easter and so glad this thread is still offering a bit of a service to the community.

I was in two Kroger cities and again had no issues with GC transactions (though I didn't buy as many this time) or MOs with multiple GC debits.

I do wish I could extend the grace I'm getting to everyone. But, persevere, and add info to this thread for others whenever you have proven data.

Thank you! :)

jan_believes Apr 24, 2014 10:27 am

Alternate areas to consider looking, asking

Originally Posted by alymae1010 (Post 22747184)
Purchased a $500 variable VGC card at Schnucks (STL area). Cards are not out on the racks, but you can buy them at the customer service desk.

Very glad you mentioned that.

That is a pattern I see at the Kroger stores. The displays are awash with MC GCs but very low or gonzo on the Visa Variables.

Please check each aisle where grocers "hawk" the last minute marketing of buying GCs. I found mine there. Even if you only find one, at least, you haven't wasted all your time.

If anyone wants to include a story of buying the variable MC and having an ok experience with the liquidation process, please feel free to do so. You might just help someone out in a bind with time or minimum spend requirements. Thanks! :)

kingrat Apr 24, 2014 10:44 am

No one tried Winn-Dixie or Publix?

jan_believes Apr 24, 2014 10:52 am

Originally Posted by kingrat (Post 22754314)

Oh my goodness, get out the wet noodle.

I didn't even check and I was IN a Publix. Sam's Club was a wash for good veggies/fruits so we went to Publix on our route. Missed that entirely! :rolleyes:

stils Apr 24, 2014 11:09 am

Originally Posted by kingrat (Post 22754314)

No $500 GCs at Publix.

Aviator88 Apr 24, 2014 3:42 pm

It's getting really hard to find variable load Visa GCs at Ralphs. Sometimes the cashiers have them in their aisles, or sometimes they are even near the exit doors on a separate rack.

Tizzette Apr 24, 2014 6:01 pm

Amex Hilton is 5x for groceries. Would I get 5x hilton points for gift cards bought at a grocery store?

hamhead Apr 24, 2014 6:05 pm

I'm glad everyone has an aversion to MC GCs.

I don't mind taking a minute to set a PIN and where I get MOs has no issue with them.

Aleriem Apr 24, 2014 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by mrmandel (Post 22706304)
Shaw's/Star Market requires manager override for anything over $300.

For us, Shaws has been a YMMV situation. We try to avoid older women cashiers, younger women and most men will usually let the $500 through. We don't attempt higher amounts.

jan_believes Apr 24, 2014 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette (Post 22756692)
Amex Hilton is 5x for groceries. Would I get 5x hilton points for gift cards bought at a grocery store?

Yes, because the charge is categorized as a grocery store purchase not as an individual gift card purchase.

jan_believes Apr 24, 2014 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by hamhead (Post 22756708)
I'm glad everyone has an aversion to MC GCs.

I don't mind taking a minute to set a PIN and where I get MOs has no issue with them.

Hey, good to hear. I only avoid them because the comments here reflect that they are more of a "pain" somehow.

ThereYaGo Apr 25, 2014 11:08 am

High V. Been buying 500 at a shot for over a year. Tried 1000 and as usual the manager had to be brought over, only this time he scuttled back to a little office and the cashier made up a phony story to get me to look towards the security cameras... oh brother....

The manager then comes out and says "Sorry, 200 max due to fraud". All this time they don't even check my ID. It's easier to catch me afterwards than actually prevent the fraud?

Went back the next day, 500 no problem so 1000 is their limit for fraudsters...