FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1555831-stores-sell-500-gcs-up-2019-a.html)

Doctor of Credit Apr 7, 2014 7:42 pm

Thanks for the data points guys, found a couple places I didn't know about before.

jan_believes Apr 7, 2014 8:06 pm

Thank you to Beckles in proceeding post. :)

Beckles Apr 7, 2014 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes (Post 22667214)
If this qualifies for a wiki, I think it would be nice.

I must confess I just learned this myself in the past month, any FT'er can add a wiki to a post, just click the Thread Tools button up there ^^^^ and you can add a wiki post to any thread.

uncommonsensical Apr 7, 2014 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes (Post 22666855)

Not that you should do this but if you are in that store again sometime, maybe ask for a supervisor at the service desk to see if someone QUICKLY trained and a bit reactive might have misrepresented the store policy. Best wishes! :)

i'm sorry, but this is TERRIBLE advice. i cannot disagree with it enough.

he was showing a real debit card, but the key to MO's for MS is the ability to use VGC's. further, he's new to this so a lot of supervisors will just agree with the cashier. then what does he do???? he'd pretty much have to write off the store. you don't want to be known in a store unless it's in a good way, with cashier 'friends'.

my advise would be if that was teh night shift, go in the morning or vice versa. he also needs to be confident, not act suspicious or unsure of himself- this makes them think he's doing something wrong. if he still strikes out, then go to another store. better yet, go farther away from your house/work to
'practice' and get comfortable, so you don't blow up stores for yourself along your normal travel paths while learning!

when i try something new, i do it away from my normal area. i don't want stores i need to start getting suspicious of me. if i'm in another city, i'll use it as a test bed.

jan_believes Apr 8, 2014 1:20 am

Deleted.

calwatch Apr 8, 2014 1:55 am

I'll add Albertsons to the list. $5.95 for $500 is a dollar more than VGC but it is next door to work so I can walk over there on a coffee break and snap one up.

aceofcards Apr 8, 2014 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 22667474)
I must confess I just learned this myself in the past month, any FT'er can add a wiki to a post, just click the Thread Tools button up there ^^^^ and you can add a wiki post to any thread.

Your account just needs to be 90 days old + at least 90 posts though.

kxc262 Apr 8, 2014 3:15 am

Safeway sells these giftcards. 500 requires override from manager FYI.

traveltogo Apr 8, 2014 5:59 am

I don't know if this applies to EVERY Meijer out there, but my local store doesn't have anything over $100 that you can purchase with a credit card.

trippinbilly Apr 8, 2014 6:11 am

FYI
H-T - DL at $500, manager override at $1000. Never done more than $1000 so not sure of further limits.

Churnman Apr 8, 2014 6:59 am

So far, I have found no grocery stores in Northeast Ohio (Akron/Cleveland/Canton) which sell higher valued gift cards, debit reloads or anything over $100. Some stores like Giant Eagle don't even have vgc for $100 since they don't want to shell out a lot of iggle points for fuel.

Anyone in NE Ohio who has found grocery stores that allow $500 debit, vgc or equivilent please respond. I have plenty of supply at drugstores, but I would prefer to diversify my ms spending using grocery stores too.

So far in NE Ohio the biggest grocery stores:

Acme ($100 VGC - cash only)
Giant Eagle ($50 VGC is highest they have)
Walmarts don't count toward Amex Blue's grocery category therefore not interested.

Many grocery store chains left the northeast Ohio regions years ago as Giant Eagle came in and competition drove out Tops, Kroger and others. Now, Walmart superstores are giving Giant Eagle competition by beating prices. Acme stays high (older clientele). But of course, most 5% grocery categories with cc don't count Walmart. Guess I have to stick with buying my gift card, debits, reloads and such at drugstores and office supply. Even though most of my initial puchases are online through portals I still need some B&M places.

mrbiggs223 Apr 8, 2014 8:18 am

Originally Posted by junooni (Post 22666600)
I tried getting a MO at Krogers and the person flat out told me it was cash only, even though I waived by real debit card at her instead of a GC. Anything I am missing or is this YMMV scenario as well? :confused:

Yea its YMMV - Had a clerk at Kroger refuse to sell MO because of no name printed on the card. After I asked for 500/500 split he immediately asked to see the card and said he couldn't do it because people were "scamming them with reloadable cards".

atwflyer Apr 9, 2014 7:10 am

Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500.

YES:
Acme
Giant
Kroger
Food Lion
H-T
Pick 'n Save - up to 500 maximum of 2K per transaction 5.95 fee no ID required
(etc as the posts verify).

NO:
HEB
Festival Foods
(etc as posts verify).

Grocers that sell $200:
Wegmans
Tops
Piggly Wiggly - up to 200 maximum of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required

Thanks for considering. :)

Churnman Apr 9, 2014 9:30 am

Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500.

YES:
Acme
Giant
Kroger
Food Lion
H-T
(etc as the posts verify).

NO:
HEB
(etc as posts verify).

Grocers that sell $200:
Wegmans
Tops

Thanks for considering. :)

What state are you in? I haven't found any Acme in Northeast Ohio that sells variable GC's using a cc to purchase. They want cash. I believe the Acmes in my area are owned by a local group and other Acmes in other states are owned by others, but I don't know for sure.

nickfromct Apr 9, 2014 10:01 am

You can add Shoprite to the list of grocery stores than sell variable GC's up to $500. Stop & Shop, too.