Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
I believe they are onevanilla. I don't use them for serve or any of that stuff, serve kicked me out.

I just buy them and then use them for everyday expenses. Gotta float the cash.
wouldn't it just be easier to use the credit card for everyday expenses, heh.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: Ugly breakups with Barclays/Citi/Chase/USB
Originally Posted by XP1
Bancorp. No MetaBank.
But more importantly, Incomm
Old May 6, 2016, 9:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by killercut
wouldn't it just be easier to use the credit card for everyday expenses, heh.
Not if I'm unsure I'll meet min spend within the 90 days. When I'm balancing trying to hit min spend on 3 or 4 different cards, some cards get neglected.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:30 am

u need a wife or gf, lol
Old May 6, 2016, 9:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by killercut
u need a wife or gf, lol
ha, my money is my money
Old May 8, 2016, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Not if I'm unsure I'll meet min spend within the 90 days. When I'm balancing trying to hit min spend on 3 or 4 different cards, some cards get neglected.
If you don't churn too many cards over the year you buy GC in the 90days to meet minimum spend and use them over the rest of the year.

When the Freedom card offered 10% for up to $1500 in Amazon purchases people added them to their Amazon gift card balanced which gets slowly drained over the year. Similar with Target offers. You might not be able to do this on a huge scale over the year, but you can cover a lot of your regular spend this way.
Old May 8, 2016, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ff.volker
If you don't churn too many cards over the year you buy GC in the 90days to meet minimum spend and use them over the rest of the year.

When the Freedom card offered 10% for up to $1500 in Amazon purchases people added them to their Amazon gift card balanced which gets slowly drained over the year. Similar with Target offers. You might not be able to do this on a huge scale over the year, but you can cover a lot of your regular spend this way.
Indeed
Old May 14, 2016, 8:10 am

My local Hannaford put all their VGCs back on the GC rack this week after keeping them behind the service counter for the last 6-8 months during which they only sold them via "Cash and Debit Card only". They recently upgraded to chip readers so I figured that's why they put them back on the GC rack. I took one to the register with my groceries Thursday afternoon for a test and the cashier asked what amount I wanted on it and let me use my CC to purchase everything without issue.

I went back Friday morning to buy a couple more and got told by a different cashier that the policy is "CASH ONLY". I asked about purchasing with a debit card and she said "The policy is cash only, no debit, on Visa, MC, and AMEX GCs". On the way out I asked the one of the employees I'm friendly with in the parking lot gathering the shopping carts if he knew anything new about being able to buy VGCs with a CC since he also works the registers and the chip readers are now working to which he told me he'd check and let me know next time I see him, but he thought they were going to allow VGC purchases with CCs again once the chip readers were working.

Seeing that I bought one the day before with my CC I think that the new POS software upgrade isn't hard coded against CC purchase, but the employees have still been told not to allow purchase with a CC. I have my fingers crossed that they go back to CC sales, but I know they got hit with VGC fraud last year that added up into the six figure range according to online news articles so I wouldn't be surprised if they are still gun shy about taking VGCs for them.
Old May 16, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL, AC, CX, BA, AGR, IHG, HH, CC, UR, MR, TY
Lightbulb Feels weird

Today I did something that I haven't ever done before. This afternoon after disposing of $2000 OVGCs from CVS at 7 FDs (3 denies), I stopped into the grocery store.

Up until a month or so ago S&S was generally easy picking. Now the policy's debit/cash only for Visa/MC/Amex GCs. Fatefully, the rules aren't against using CC with merchant GCs.

Today I bought my first "amazon gift card" for five-hundred dollars. It's a pretty big deal. I've now just committed to buying things that I may or may not need, all for 2500 UR points. And all I can think about is the other two 2500 opportunities left on that card. And then the other 2 Freedoms I have, and their three x 2500s apiece! It's all like a giant, on-going promotion for consumerism.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:06 pm

Deleted

Last edited by pdxuser; May 18, 2016 at 8:13 pm
Old May 18, 2016, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gamzarme
Today I bought my first "amazon gift card" for five-hundred dollars. It's a pretty big deal. I've now just committed to buying things that I may or may not need, all for 2500 UR points.
Last year to max out the 10% on Amazon I sent my mom an Amazon gift card that she paid me back for since she had already maxed out her freedom card

My Amazon balance is finally about to run out after the Q4 madness last year.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:20 pm

Add Food City in Virginia and Tennessee to the list of stores that sell $500 VGC.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:31 pm

http://www.target.com/p/400gc-6-fee-...d/-/A-17214227

6 dollar fee - 5 dollar coupon: TGT4DN9P

= 401 total price pre-unloading for 400.. pretty dang good. Except limit is one. If you go slowly but surely you can get a good amount of the cards coming in. Placed 2 orders tonight because I have some spend to do on a Marriott card. 800/for this one night isn't bad, for me.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by vwks2006
http://www.target.com/p/400gc-6-fee-...d/-/A-17214227

6 dollar fee - 5 dollar coupon: TGT4DN9P

= 401 total price pre-unloading for 400.. pretty dang good. Except limit is one. If you go slowly but surely you can get a good amount of the cards coming in. Placed 2 orders tonight because I have some spend to do on a Marriott card. 800/for this one night isn't bad, for me.
Is it right to assume that these can also be used for a MO?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:46 am

Which VGC do I buy?

I've done hours of reading about MS. I'm to the point where I'd like to start ms-ing but I'm confused on which card to buy. I see VGC in several differed styles. Can someone post a photo of what I should buy?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.