Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by ninetwosix
Anyone have an issue where the store clerk accidentally rang up the same gift card twice? Had that happen to me today and I'm seeing 2 temp charges for the same amount. Wondering if it will just fall off or was I charged twice?
Well it looks like I was charged for 3 transactions, when only two gift cards were loaded. Any ideas?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:18 pm

Well it looks like I was charged for 3 transactions, when only two gift cards were loaded. Any ideas?
You signed for 3 separate transactions?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
You signed for 3 separate transactions?
Clerk loaded GC #1, went thru fine. Clerk attempted to load GC #2, but scanned GC #1. Credit card was approved, but transaction failed as GC #1 was already loaded. Clerk proceeded to scan GC #2 and the transaction completed fine. Today, I have three charges. I mentioned to the clerk that my CC had 3 temp charges and that if anything I would come back. Have all my receipts, including the 1 failed attempt.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:45 pm

Clerk loaded GC #1, went thru fine. Clerk attempted to load GC #2, but scanned GC #1. Credit card was approved, but transaction failed as GC #1 was already loaded. Clerk proceeded to scan GC #2 and the transaction completed fine. Today, I have three charges. I mentioned to the clerk that my CC had 3 temp charges and that if anything I would come back. Have all my receipts, including the 1 failed attempt.
IME keep the receipts and don't sweat it until they post. Most likely only two will. If all three post, then go into panic mode.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Wonko
IME keep the receipts and don't sweat it until they post. Most likely only two will. If all three post, then go into panic mode.
All three did post.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:09 am

All three did post.
You made the purchase on the 23rd and the charges posted on the 24th? As in are no longer pending?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
So I looked at my local grocery store and found that they have the $500 MetaBank cards and I did purchase one with an AmEx DL card for $505.95 last night. The cashier asked me for my store loyalty card - said she didn't know if it would apply for GC purchases or not or just for the $5.95 fee. I didn't have the card, but gave phone number and indeed it added a .30 per gallon discount on gas a QuikTrip. So a great deal in all. Now I just need to get a card that gives me 5-6% at grocery stores or a large multiple of MR points.

Also I might have too many AmEx cards in my name already to do this myself and might need to enlist the wife to apply for some variety of the Blue Cash. Problem is, they check ID and name on the CC that I buy the VGC with, so I can't use my wife's AmEx. If she is approved, can she get a AU card for me to buy VGCs with? Would that count against my AmEx total, and/or my 5/24 limit for Chase cards???

I'm probably close to 8 or 10/24 anyway so I'm not sure if Chase will give me an exception regardless, but I'd love to get another Ink Plus next June when its been 24 months since my last bonus, if possible. Thoughts?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:28 am

I mentioned to the clerk that my CC had 3 temp charges and that if anything I would come back.
You're likely gonna be headin' back.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:38 am

Is Mariano's confirmed to be hard coded cash only?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by anubond005
I didn't. But the whole time he was jus looking at my hand and waiting wat m gonna use. So I jus walked out. RA also I think depends. M done with discover and jus use SPG. One RA next to my place never says anything. Jus ask for ID and tas it.
The first time I tried to buy an MO with a gift card, the CSR was a total stickler for the store rules, even asking outright if I was trying to use a GC. I went home and, concerned that this was not unusual, practiced in front of a mirror quite a bit.

I ran into her again, a few weeks after. She asked for my DL (this store does not normally do that) and asked to see my debit card (they don't typically ask to see that, either...I gave her my bank debit card just fine...glad she didn't swipe it). Even with her suspicions and her efforts to watch me swipe, I got the GC swiped just fine.

Had I known she was like that all the time, I'd obviously have not have tried to get a MO from her. I won't go back to her again, but was happy to see that I was able to get the transaction done undetected.

Magicians regularly perform crazy slight-of-hand tricks. I figure we should be able to hide a card behind another. It seems, for MS, a little practice goes a long way.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Henla
...Magicians regularly perform crazy slight-of-hand tricks. I figure we should be able to hide a card behind another. It seems, for MS, a little practice goes a long way.
So if this MS thing doesn't work out, you have a backup career all picked out.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
So if this MS thing doesn't work out, you have a backup career all picked out.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:05 pm

$10 hyvee GC with purchase of any gift card over $125 (including VGC) through 12/15.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/CorporateAd/images/full-pdfs/2015-12-02_415976/v57_1.pdf
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:06 pm

Curious if anyone knows if Martin's grocery stores sell $500 VGC's? They are owned by Giant Food and I've had luck in the past getting VGC at Giant.

Edit: Checked today and they do, was able to buy 1 with CC.

Last edited by Bostin; Dec 4, 2015 at 9:32 pm
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Gold
Saw today on DoC that Meijer is offering $15 off with the purchase of 2 MCGC of $25 or more. Good deal for those with a Meijer close to them. T&C are pretty basic.

Terms & Exclusions

*No cash back. Limit one use per coupon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.