Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Risk of Loss in MS [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Yaoyao
I usually keep the receipts and GC/VRs until I verified that the money is in my account. Otherwise, there are too many to keep. Is there any reason to keep old receipt and GC/VRs after the money has been transferred?
To me its not a big deal. Its not like receipts or GC/VR cards take up that much room in the house. I just keep all this stuff in a shoebox so that its an easy spot to find it. I mean no one is stopping you from trashing the receipts after you have successfully loaded the money into the account on VR's. To me I like keeping all documentation just in case something happens. Unless its taking up a lot of space, I don't really mind and I like to be organized.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
CVS refunded the store, now I am waiting for the manager to contact me!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by oneworld82
UPDATE

CVS just called me and said they were able to locate my VR! No one used them and they were able to deactivate them!! Now they will send the info to the store manager where I purchased them for either a full refund or a substitution! It looks like I am going to get my money back in the end!! So relieved!!
This just worked for me, too. I had a receipt and it went pretty smoothly. Still not sure how I lost the card. Think I will blame it on the kids.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
MODs, this excellent thread need to be pined upfront to serve as a reminder of the actual risk of MS.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:20 pm

I bought an OV from CVS last week and when I went to check the balance online it said card not activated. I still have the recipe and original packaging from the OV, so I called Incomm and they said the card wasn't properly activated at CVS and they opened a case for me and said it would be resolved within 3-5 business days since I had the receipt and packaging.

Should I expect a resolution within that time frame or can I call CVS and get them to refund me?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:10 pm

You might be OK, but then again Incomm sucks. Check my post in the VISA/MC PIN thread for the nuclear option.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:46 pm

Found it. I should call the CEO's office?

Last edited by compddd; Aug 18, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by compddd
Found it. I should call the CEO's office?
How about waiting 3-5 days as asked before freaking out?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:24 pm

Due to all the stories on here of people in similar situations have reported that Incomm is very difficult and it takes weeks or months to get it resolved. I'm just worried that's all.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:42 pm

Yes, wait the allotted time and then (if necessary) take the additional steps.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by raghu455
This hobby is very risky due to these high value amounts that we play with. Anyone playing this game should be prepared to take a loss of 1-2 VRs or GCs especially if doing significant volume where it is very very easy to be careless.
I don't even know if I have lost any VRs or GCs as I have so much man spend plus real spend. Even though I track everything it is possible I may have lost something.
That's just poor bookkeeping. Sorry, but it is. Sure, there might be profit at the end of the month but if you are ok with losing 1k, how do you know it's not really 2k? How often? Once a year? Once a month? Once a week?

I've read other advice on here about how important it is to keep track. Some people do old school pen and paper. Some have spreadsheets. Errors can appear in both forms. The point is to watch for the errors and balance out your accounts. Losing money is never good.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by compddd
Due to all the stories on here of people in similar situations have reported that Incomm is very difficult and it takes weeks or months to get it resolved. I'm just worried that's all.
I don't blame you and it's really up to each individual on the level of risk tolerance they are willing to take. No matter what I read online, I take calculated risks since many of those I've read that didn't work for them, worked for me and vice versa. MS is truly very YMMV.

I stay away from Incomm cards and fortunately for me, there's still plenty of metas I can buy if I need to churn several cards simultaneously.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by ZzzzX
That's just poor bookkeeping. Sorry, but it is. Sure, there might be profit at the end of the month but if you are ok with losing 1k, how do you know it's not really 2k? How often? Once a year? Once a month? Once a week?

I've read other advice on here about how important it is to keep track. Some people do old school pen and paper. Some have spreadsheets. Errors can appear in both forms. The point is to watch for the errors and balance out your accounts. Losing money is never good.
^
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Another risk (may have been mentioned already in this thread): Checking/savings account shutdowns. Shutdowns continue to occur to those who have deposited too many MO's compared to what an institution is comfortable with. Each situation varies. Some it's due to a new account and they didn't go slow enough. Some think as long as they stay under 10k a month in total deposits they'll be fine, but then they do 4 days in a row of deposits and the institution doesn't like it. So many reasons. We must continue to keep in mind that the numbers we think are small enough sometimes are too large or too frequent to someone else.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by Churnman
Another risk (may have been mentioned already in this thread): Checking/savings account shutdowns. Shutdowns continue to occur to those who have deposited too many MO's compared to what an institution is comfortable with. Each situation varies. Some it's due to a new account and they didn't go slow enough. Some think as long as they stay under 10k a month in total deposits they'll be fine, but then they do 4 days in a row of deposits and the institution doesn't like it. So many reasons. We must continue to keep in mind that the numbers we think are small enough sometimes are too large or too frequent to someone else.
I don't deposit many money orders in any bank account I care about. I just opened a few extra accounts at local credit unions and deposit my money orders there. If they shut me down, then I can just move on to another credit union.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.