Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Risk of Loss in MS [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guys, take it easy.

Maybe the OP was just making a complicated situation simpler (backpack stolen, cleaning person chucked them, etc.).

The point is, they're gone. The question is, what are the options?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BarnyardRomeo
sorry I don't mean to be so rude. sometimes i carry VR around in an unzipped jacket pocket so it could happen to me I suppose. I hope you find the VR op.
Also I am curious where op lives. I would not mind dumpster diving his building. lightening can strike twice, right?
No offence taken. I am indeed making a complicated situation simpler, involving a weekend away in Vegas, a girlfriend who doesn't know what a VR is, valet trash pick-up, a mix-up with Walmart shopping bags, and an already loaded BB that could not be reloaded right away.

I visited my local CVS and the store manager will look into the electronic journal to find my data (so that I can have the receipt of my purchase, which incidentally happened with two credit cards - add insult to the injury - because my AMEX received a fraud alert while I was ringing the second card).

After that, whom should I call?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Also, you can always get a copy of the credit card receipt from the credit card company.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: AS MVP
oneworld82 - I hope you are able to get your funds through one channel or another. But let this be yet another reminder to all of us that the paper and plastic we recycle can be lost, stolen or destroyed like cash and should always be treated like cash.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
oneworld82 - I hope you are able to get your funds through one channel or another. But let this be yet another reminder to all of us that the paper and plastic we recycle can be lost, stolen or destroyed like cash and should always be treated like cash.
Indeed... Is there anyone who knows a phone number I can call to speak with someone live at Vanilla Reload/Incomm/whomever??
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Indeed... Is there anyone who knows a phone number I can call to speak with someone live at Vanilla Reload/Incomm/whomever??
Pretty sure any number you call for their various products ends up in the same place. If you have a OneVanilla or an MVD around, that number should get you into their wonderful phone tree.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by josephstern
Pretty sure any number you call for their various products ends up in the same place. If you have a OneVanilla or an MVD around, that number should get you into their wonderful phone tree.
Is it the same company?!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it the same company?!
All Vanilla products, and many other prepaid products, are Incomm.

Generally, when you get a rep on the phone, the first thing they do is put you on hold for 10 minutes while they read up on the details of the specific product you're calling about.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Update.

I called CVS and Kim - a very nice lady - went ahead and retrieved my receipts. Those receipts, however, did not have the card number on it; but she said that they have a "gift card department" where they can go and look for the gift card number into their archives. She gave me a reference number and said I would be contacted within a week.

Assuming this is true, I could get the VR numbers I lost and - assuming no-one found them in the garbage and used them - I should be fine. Am I being too optimistic?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:52 pm

While it wasn't at CVS, something similar happened to me at a Kroger store. Basically a card wasn't activated properly and I called the gift card issuers to ask them what to do. A customer service rep told me they were sending me a replacement card. I stupidly did not get confirmation or any name/number of the rep to confirm. 2 weeks later, still no replacement. I had disposed of the card that was being replaced. Oops, that card still has $500 on it and there is no replacement coming.

Had to get in touch with Kroger, who gave me a copy of my receipt. Then I filed a lost/stolen card and received a true replacement with $494 or so on it (small fee for lost/stolen issue).

Huge hassle, you better believe I became better at tracking everything and keeping receipts until the money was back in my account.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave4086
While it wasn't at CVS, something similar happened to me at a Kroger store. Basically a card wasn't activated properly and I called the gift card issuers to ask them what to do. A customer service rep told me they were sending me a replacement card. I stupidly did not get confirmation or any name/number of the rep to confirm. 2 weeks later, still no replacement. I had disposed of the card that was being replaced. Oops, that card still has $500 on it and there is no replacement coming.

Had to get in touch with Kroger, who gave me a copy of my receipt. Then I filed a lost/stolen card and received a true replacement with $494 or so on it (small fee for lost/stolen issue).

Huge hassle, you better believe I became better at tracking everything and keeping receipts until the money was back in my account.
I wish Icould do that with CVS! The receipt they can provide me with has no gift card number on it!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:24 pm

Many years ago, we were living in a town for a short time, not long enough, I thought, to open a local bank account, and I had brought enough cash to cover our living expenses. The area was a little sketchy, we had a new baby, and I decided that the safest place to keep cash safe was at the bottom of the diaper pail.

Thankfully, garbage pickup was only once a week and I found myself at 1 am one mid-winter's night, standing in the community dumpster digging for a double-bagged lot of dirty diapers. Found it, and the couple of G's therein, and then opened a local bank account.

OP - Don't feel bad. It happens. And probably will work out OK in the end.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:41 pm

Risk of Loss in MS [Consolidated]

Sorry for the situation that has to suck. This was one of the reasons I didn't buy more than I could immediately load. Now I am a little more comfortable and have a method with how I handle my VRs but it would make me sick to lose them. Hopefully you find a way to get the money back!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:46 pm
Suspended

I am indeed making a complicated situation simpler, involving a weekend away in Vegas,
now everything is clear and you have a perfectly valid excuse.
many have lost far greater sums than $1k in LV lol.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Been in a similar pickle (but more complicated and nothing to do with losing a card).

You can ask CVS to find a receipt copy if you know the date and card used. It also helps if you can identify the register used.

With this you can contact CVS customer service who can submit a research request to get the full VR / gift card number from the purchase. Despite what they told you - keep calling in as you will need to hound them to get this completed in a timely fashion.

With this you can call incomm. A trick way to do this is to call the MVD number: 855-686-9513 and enter 1 for English, then 1 for info on registering. Listen to the (long) message. At the end press "4" to be put through to an agent. They will either help you or connect you. If you have an MVD (even a dead one) you can get there faster by entering your card number and pin as if you were trying to load or get a balance inquiry.

I wish Icould do that with CVS! The receipt they can provide me with has no gift card number on it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.