Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by ATWBY2020
I am confused
When i bought - just 2*500 - MB GC last week , i didnt see points on receipt .
CSR said you never get points on any GC purchase , talk to manager and he confirmed the same talking to manager of another branch.
my question are
- should i call CSR on phone
- points allowed on GC only promotional time or all the time ??

Anyone can clarify bit more??

Thanks

-
Points only during promotions. You correctly did not receive any points.

Edit: Because this question seems to get asked a lot, I have edited the wiki to make the answer appear at the top in bold lettering.

Last edited by jonnydoe1234; Aug 5, 2014 at 9:15 am
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:22 am

I am confused
CSR said you never get points on any GC purchase , talk to manager and he confirmed the same talking to manager of another branch.
my question are

Thanks

-
Don't call, don't call, don't call

They can't give you gas points after the purchase and you are bringing too much attention to yourself...

It most likely means you did something wrong. Either bought when the deal was not on, or didn't get your rewards card entered correctly.

Make sure you check that you go on the right day, and you buy the right product. Sometimes variables $500 cards are excluded, or it is only visa, only master card, or only amex
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
Just so everyone knows…no gas points on any gift cards next week in the upcoming flyer starting Friday 8/9
Thank you for sharing ^

I am confused
my question are

Thanks

-
C'mon, man. Do not talk to management, call customer service, or do anything to bring unneeded attention to yourself.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by commdiver
Thank you for sharing ^

C'mon, man. Do not talk to management, call customer service, or do anything to bring unneeded attention to yourself.
Seriously. Last month I missed out on 8000 points because my gas card didn't register even though it beeped when she scanned it. I was not about to call and say "hey I just bought $2000 in gift cards and didn't get my points. Can you please apply the missing 8000 points to my account?" You win some, you lose some. Just suck it up and move on.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234
Points only during promotions. You correctly did not receive any points.

Edit: Because this question seems to get asked a lot, I have edited the wiki to make the answer appear at the top in bold lettering.
Originally Posted by willhernandez
Don't call, don't call, don't call

They can't give you gas points after the purchase and you are bringing too much attention to yourself...

It most likely means you did something wrong. Either bought when the deal was not on, or didn't get your rewards card entered correctly.

Make sure you check that you go on the right day, and you buy the right product. Sometimes variables $500 cards are excluded, or it is only visa, only master card, or only amex
Originally Posted by commdiver
Thank you for sharing ^

Thanks everyone for editing WIKI and clarifying
No I am not going to do/call .

Thanks
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: Kettle One ;)
I am going through withdrawals now that the points from the VGC promo that ended 7/10 have expired.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Jetblue Mosaic (past)
Originally Posted by Boondr
I am going through withdrawals now that the points from the VGC promo that ended 7/10 have expired.
Me too. I've stopped driving until we know when the gas points will be back. I've been paying $1.40/gal for too long and I can't go back. Ugghh.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:45 pm

Only fellow tax geeks are likely to be interested, but:

Giant Eagle recently lost a Tax Court case, involving the deduction of earned but unredeemed gas points. See below for selected descriptive excerpts from the opinion.

Edit to clarify: The court held that Giant couldn't deduct the cost until the points were actually redeemed, so basically a timing difference. Also, link to opinion: http://ustaxcourt.gov/InOpHistoric/G...es.TCM.WPD.pdf

++

During the years at issue Giant Eagle invited customers to participate in a discounted gasoline and diesel fuel promotion called the "fuelperks! program". Under the fuelperks! program, customers could earn fuelperks! by presenting their Giant Eagle Advantage Card (advantage card), a customer loyalty card, when purchasing qualifying goods or services. For every qualifying $50 spent, a customer earned a single fuelperk! Each fuelperk! was redeemable for a 10-cent reduction in the retail price per gallon of gasoline or diesel fuel3 acquired in one [*4] transaction of up to 30 gallons at GetGo gas stations. To redeem fuelperks!, customers were required to swipe their advantage cards when purchasing gas and elect, by pushing a button, to use their fuelperks! Fuelperks! could be, and were required to be, aggregated, so that all available fuelperks! would be used to reduce the gas price to the greatest extent possible, possibly reducing the price for a gallon of gas to zero. Accumulated fuelperks! in excess of the then-current price per gallon of gasoline would be saved on the customer's advantage card. Fuelperks! expired three months after the last day of the month in which they were earned and could not be redeemed in cash.

Giant Eagle deducted the estimated costs of redeeming a certain portion of the issued fuelperks! that were unexpired and unredeemed at the end of each year at issue (outstanding fuelperks!), in the amounts of $6,160,855 and $1,130,630 for 2006 and 2007, respectively. Respondent issued a deficiency notice disallowing those deductions. Petitioner timely filed a petition with this Court challenging respondent's determination.

Last edited by tuphat; Aug 11, 2014 at 3:51 pm
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat

Giant Eagle recently lost a Tax Court case, involving the deduction of earned but unredeemed gas points. See below for selected descriptive excerpts from the opinion.

++

During the years at issue Giant Eagle invited customers to participate in a discounted gasoline and diesel fuel promotion called the "fuelperks! program". Under the fuelperks! program, customers could earn fuelperks! by presenting their Giant Eagle Advantage Card (advantage card), a customer loyalty card, when purchasing qualifying goods or services. For every qualifying $50 spent, a customer earned a single fuelperk! Each fuelperk! was redeemable for a 10-cent reduction in the retail price per gallon of gasoline or diesel fuel3 acquired in one [*4] transaction of up to 30 gallons at GetGo gas stations. To redeem fuelperks!, customers were required to swipe their advantage cards when purchasing gas and elect, by pushing a button, to use their fuelperks! Fuelperks! could be, and were required to be, aggregated, so that all available fuelperks! would be used to reduce the gas price to the greatest extent possible, possibly reducing the price for a gallon of gas to zero. Accumulated fuelperks! in excess of the then-current price per gallon of gasoline would be saved on the customer's advantage card. Fuelperks! expired three months after the last day of the month in which they were earned and could not be redeemed in cash.

Giant Eagle deducted the estimated costs of redeeming a certain portion of the issued fuelperks! that were unexpired and unredeemed at the end of each year at issue (outstanding fuelperks!), in the amounts of $6,160,855 and $1,130,630 for 2006 and 2007, respectively. Respondent issued a deficiency notice disallowing those deductions. Petitioner timely filed a petition with this Court challenging respondent's determination.
Quality reading for the off-season
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:53 pm

++

Where do you find stuff like this? Amazying. I'm sure the outcome will have implications on promotions. Hope they don't take the program away for good.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:03 pm

++

It doesn't say they lost, just that they're suing the IRS over the disallowance.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:28 pm

Here is a link to the entire opinion: http://ustaxcourt.gov/InOpHistoric/G...es.TCM.WPD.pdf

In essence, this is a decision about deductabillity and whether Giant Eagle was entitled to claim a deduction for the value of fuelperks! at the time of issuance (i.e. that they became a fixed liability when granted to the customer) versus time of redemption. Giant Eagle did not prevail, as the Tax Court found for the IRS, who initially determined that Giant Eagle could not claim such deductions.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
5x gas points on "select gift cards" for back to school from 8/15-8/28. The ad pictures: Best Buy, one I can't make out, Darden Restaurants (Olive Garden, etc.), Dominos Pizza, Old Navy/Gap/Banana Republic, Itunes, JCPenney, Marshall's, Outback, TGIFridays, the Children's Place, and Xbox. It does not show any visa/mc/amex.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:53 pm

5x gas points on "select gift cards" for back to school from 8/15-8/28. The ad pictures: Best Buy, one I can't make out, Darden Restaurants (Olive Garden, etc.), Dominos Pizza, Old Navy/Gap/Banana Republic, Itunes, JCPenney, Marshall's, Outback, TGIFridays, the Children's Place, and Xbox. It does not show any visa/mc/amex.
this is no bueno...
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goblue77
this is no bueno...
this is why we can't have nice things

will probably have to start buying whatever has promotional gas points this week just so i don't pay full price for gas as iahphx has been saying this is the tragedy of the commons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.