Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: USAir, UA, AA, BA, Hyatt, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by mh1361
This is for Giant of Carlisle. I went to purchase VGCs today and when I told the "Cashier Coach", or whatever they're called (yellow polos), that I wanted $500 each she immediately called the store manager. The store manager said that I couldn't do it. I should have just left but I asked how come. Literally 2 days ago I purchased 4k from this store. He said it's against their regulations. Anyway, a while later, seems like this store is a no go from now on. Apparently anytime the transaction total is over $500 and you're paying with credit, they're supposed to call the store manager. Kind of a joke. Sucks that this random cashier coach was working there today. I've probably purchased 30k from this store with no issues until today.
I have hit that same "$500 limit" rule at a ShopRite in NJ. Just pick up a $490 card rather than a $500. Minimal difference, although it does require multiple trips as you can only do 1 per visit...
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiffyjiff
I have hit that same "$500 limit" rule at a ShopRite in NJ. Just pick up a $490 card rather than a $500. Minimal difference, although it does require multiple trips as you can only do 1 per visit...
Yeah, one of the problems with buying gift cards at supermarkets is that nobody else seems to do it. Just today I was at an Acme and the clerk was flabbergasted that I'd want to buy a $500 gift card. You would have thought I was ringing up $100,000 or something. He insisted on knowing who the gift was for! The idea of buying 2 such cards would have completely blown his mind.

So between the hassle of buying the cards and the hassle of cashing them out at Walmart, this isn't the world's easiest way to make a buck (or, more accurately, 20 bucks). Without the gas points thrown in, it's arguably not worth the trouble, unless you're going to those stores anyway.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:07 pm

I think I'm hooked on cheap gas. Getting withdrawal symptoms. Bring it back S&S!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:31 pm

Does anyone buy Best buy gift cards at a Giant for gas points?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:00 pm

Data point: bought $2k Meta Bank VGC at S&S (central NJ), no fuel points.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by kqxqx
I bought $45 of groceries at WholeFoods today and didn't get any fuel points either.

[As in, since the offers are not on VGC, not getting fuel points is expected, and doesn't need to be reported as a data point.]
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by kqxqx
Thanks for the data point. If your sale flyer is similar to the Giant flyer, the ad didn't specifically state that VGC's were excluded, as it did with the exclusionary wording of other gift cards.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by alexlar2007
Does anyone buy Best buy gift cards at a Giant for gas points?
And do what with them? Buy $200 VGC at BB?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by kcblakely
And do what with them? Buy $200 VGC at BB?
Yes, if possible
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:21 pm

Come on Stop and Shop people who get their ads on Mondays. Any good news?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Peridot83
Come on Stop and Shop people who get their ads on Mondays. Any good news?
On a couponing forum, the ad is posted. The only promo is 5X points for buffalo wild wings gcs from 8/29 to 9/4.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is anyone doing the Safeway gas points? I know you're limited to a buck off a gallon, but do you earn points on gift card purchases? Since many of us are buying the gift cards anyway, something extra would be better than the current nothing.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Is anyone doing the Safeway gas points? I know you're limited to a buck off a gallon, but do you earn points on gift card purchases? Since many of us are buying the gift cards anyway, something extra would be better than the current nothing.
I have bought $500 visa cards many times at safeway over the past few months and have never gotten any gas points. Also, be aware that safeway can be very spotty in allowing the use of credit cards, as I have been shown a chart at some stores indicating that credit cards can be used for fixed-value cards but not variables.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:39 am

Data point:

I bought a disney gift card from Giant yesterday where the promotion was active, did not receive gas points. So when it says it is limited to select gift cards, this does not just mean it excludes VGC/MCGC/AGC. My guess is that maybe only the ones actually pictured count, unless someone else had success with one not in the ad.

Sucks because I thought I could at least funnel some future store spending through giant and earn gas points, but no go.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:10 pm

There may be hope...at Giant PA today I bought three different $500 MCGC. I happened to glance at the bottom of the receipt and noticed that I received 500 points. Clearly it was one of the three, but didn't know which one.

So, I went to a different Giant and bought each of the three cards individually. The MCGC with the purple wrapped present on the card and the phrase "the perfect gift" below the picture is the one that I received 1x points for.

Certainly not 3x or 4x, but for those of us needing a gas fix...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.