Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Henry II
No such luck here; almost all S&Ss ran out of MataBank VGC stock lately.
Since there is no promotion with Visa GC why don't you buy Simon Visa GC in the mall. They are much cheaper only $2.95 per GC. You can Google Simon Mall and they have in most states. I bought them a lot recently but I only bought 2 at the time to make sure I can load in BB. These cards have pin number and you have to call 800 number to retrieve it, I like it since I can change all the cards to the same pin number which easy to remember for me.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by haipham2014
Quote: Originally Posted by Henry II

No such luck here; almost all S&Ss ran out of MataBank VGC stock lately.

Since there is no promotion with Visa GC why don't you buy Simon Visa GC in the mall. They are much cheaper only $2.95 per GC. You can Google Simon Mall and they have in most states. I bought them a lot recently but I only bought 2 at the time to make sure I can load in BB. These cards have pin number and you have to call 800 number to retrieve it, I like it since I can change all the cards to the same pin number which easy to remember for me.
Some of us don't go this route because the Simons in our area carry only Amex GC. What works for one doesn't always work for all.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
Points or no Points for MB / US GC

I was told in one of Giant here , no pints for any GC what so ever
Is it true ??

Thanks
Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by ATWBY2020
Is it true ??

Thanks
Completely false. Gap branded gift cards earn gas points this week. You can see it yourself if you read the circular.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold
We don't get the 5% CB on G/G/D as with S&S.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by ashap
Some of us don't go this route because the Simons in our area carry only Amex GC. What works for one doesn't always work for all.
Sorry I did not know that as far as I know they sell both.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:24 pm

We don't get the 5% CB on G/G/D as with S&S.
Huh? Yes we do get 5% back at S&S. We don't get 5% at Simon.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by ATWBY2020
Is it true ??

Thanks
It is true most the time except when they have promotion. One time, I gave the cashier my Giant card, the cashier said it does not make any different since no points for GC. I told her yes it is. Therefore, even cashier does not know we may get gas points.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by TJtv
Huh? Yes we do get 5% back at S&S. We don't get 5% at Simon.
That was what I meant: Suggestion was to get Simon GC at the mall instead of Metabank GC at S&S. My answer was that we do not get the 5% CB at the mall as we do at S&S.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Silverthunder
According to the head night manager that I was talking to last night, 4-9 stores are grouped together. I am not sure if it's those 4-9 that communicate or whether it's all Giant stores that communicate the gift card purchase activity.
Would you be willing to share here or via PM the locations? I understand if you cannot.

EDIT: Do you know how these Giants share? From my experience yesterday, it seems like they record someone and immediately phone around...I would have thought that this would be an end-of-day type thing.

I believe that it is just a group of them. Two weeks ago, I was able to hit up six to eight for $2,000 each without issue. This time, I got greedy and went for $2,500 per location. There is one Giant that did not bring out the list last time, but did this time. I am pretty sure that that is the one that got me. Definitely my fault...

Originally Posted by dogbyte
Did you try to buy for than 5k in one day?
I did, but I am pretty sure that the Giant that got me got me after only $2,500. I spent $2,500 at one, was recorded and then caught on my visit to the very next Giant, where I tried getting another $2,500. I think it was just the idea that someone was going from Giant to Giant that scared them, not necessarily the amount. Lesson learned, though.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:41 pm

That was what I meant: Suggestion was to get Simon GC at the mall instead of Metabank GC at S&S. My answer was that we do not get the 5% CB at the mall as we do at S&S.
Which one give you 5% cash back?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
My closest Giant that was always well stocked is bone dry of variables. Got the last 3 tonight. I even had them check inside the rack and there were none in there either. They told me the woman who places the orders was not there tonight but I should call them and to see when they'll be getting more. Next closest Giant is almost a half hour away.

One interesting thing I noticed while they were looking inside the rack was that they have some of the PayPal reloadable debit cards hanging in there which this store has not sold for as long as I've been going there. I guess this is leftover stock from when they still sold reloadables which was at least 10 months ago which is when I started going there. Interesting that they don't get sent back or thrown out.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5 gallon gas can sale at Kmart tonight

Saw this on slickdeals. Since my gas can (for my mower) is 15 years old and showing some serious wear, I figured it was worth 10 bucks to buy a replacement. Assuming they run a gift card sale again, one fill of the can will pay for itself.

http://www.kmart.com/midwest-can-com...irectType=SRDT
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Just so everyone knows…no gas points on any gift cards next week in the upcoming flyer starting Friday 8/9
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
It is true most the time except when they have promotion. One time, I gave the cashier my Giant card, the cashier said it does not make any different since no points for GC. I told her yes it is. Therefore, even cashier does not know we may get gas points.
Originally Posted by TJtv
Completely false. Gap branded gift cards earn gas points this week. You can see it yourself if you read the circular.

I am confused
When i bought - just 2*500 - MB GC last week , i didnt see points on receipt .
CSR said you never get points on any GC purchase , talk to manager and he confirmed the same talking to manager of another branch.
my question are
- should i call CSR on phone
- points allowed on GC only promotional time or all the time ??

Anyone can clarify bit more??

Thanks

-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.