Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Peridot83
So I've never had problems before, but 2/3 Giants I went to to today checked my ID and refused to sell me MO with a debit card with no name. I didn't trust my slight of hand to show a regular debit so I went away empty handed. Must have sent out a memo or something as one employee said they had been problems with that lately.
Were these in Bucks County? I saw a note at one location saying not to sell MOs for $499.41 and "if you know these two people do not sell to them". Probably word has spread around to the other locations in the area. In fact, two locations nearby were unable to sell any MOs because their machines were down, and it was probably people liquidating debit cards who broke them.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:31 pm

So I've never had problems before, but 2/3 Giants I went to to today checked my ID and refused to sell me MO with a debit card with no name. I didn't trust my slight of hand to show a regular debit so I went away empty handed. Must have sent out a memo or something as one employee said they had been problems with that lately.
I'm in Montgomery County, PA, and I've recently been having the same problem. CSR mentioned people buying GCs, ripping them open @ the CS desk, and buying a MO. Idiots are among us.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by ntr91
... Idiots are among us.
Isn't that the truth!!!

Too many people seem to suffer from the "it's all about me" syndrome.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:11 am

Willow Grove and Horsham. I don't do many MO there, and never with the GC I get during the gas promos. I just had picked up a few OV at 7-11 on my Freedom card. I guess I will be trying out the Family Dollar to Serve thing. How can people be so dumb. If anyone has another MO location in the philly burbs they wouldn't mind sharing by PM, I would be very grateful. I don't mind trying multiple Giants and cashiers, but I don't want a bunch more failed attempts being reported back to corporate.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:10 am

Willow Grove and Horsham. I don't do many MO there, and never with the GC I get during the gas promos. I just had picked up a few OV at 7-11 on my Freedom card. I guess I will be trying out the Family Dollar to Serve thing. How can people be so dumb. If anyone has another MO location in the philly burbs they wouldn't mind sharing by PM, I would be very grateful. I don't mind trying multiple Giants and cashiers, but I don't want a bunch more failed attempts being reported back to corporate.

Same locations. Now you know why.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ntr91
Same locations. Now you know why.
I guess if you're selling gas, it's too much trouble -- or there's too much money being moved -- to load these cards onto a BB card at Walmart (for free)?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
I guess if you're selling gas, it's too much trouble -- or there's too much money being moved -- to load these cards onto a BB card at Walmart (for free)?
Yeah, it's not like there aren't 2 WM within 10 min of both these stores.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:37 pm

Most Giants stopped taking GCs for MOs in the beginning of June. They normally never checked or cared, but all of a sudden, IDs were being requested left and right. I gave up and moved to WM. I only use Giant for MOs when I am using a Buxx, PP, or some other debit card with my name on it.

Giant is my go-to for GCs now. Acme is the worst. These fools only ring up one gift card at a time, so almost every card blocks the transactions after the second or third $504.95 charge
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by commdiver
Most Giants stopped taking GCs for MOs in the beginning of June. They normally never checked or cared, but all of a sudden, IDs were being requested left and right. I gave up and moved to WM. I only use Giant for MOs when I am using a Buxx, PP, or some other debit card with my name on it.

Giant is my go-to for GCs now. Acme is the worst. These fools only ring up one gift card at a time, so almost every card blocks the transactions after the second or third $504.95 charge
I'm going to those same Giants and having issues too. Maybe we can work together to train them to be real chill about buying GCS in bulk. I'm finding that getting 3 at a time is fairly easy. At Willow Grove at least I noticed that the customer service woman has the key, so she'll do 3 without the manager. But I'd really like to be able to get 10 at once, even if it means dragging out the book.

A few weeks back at Acme I got the customer service woman to do 4 in one transaction, but for whatever reason the transaction was declined. I tried two different credit cards that both worked fine later, so either she was incompetent (which she was) or the system no longer allows multiples.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
I'm going to those same Giants and having issues too. Maybe we can work together to train them to be real chill about buying GCS in bulk. I'm finding that getting 3 at a time is fairly easy. At Willow Grove at least I noticed that the customer service woman has the key, so she'll do 3 without the manager. But I'd really like to be able to get 10 at once, even if it means dragging out the book.
At my go to store they will only sell 4 at a time because the "limit" is $2500, and they say the fees put you over the limit. They also bring out the book for 4+ cards. I don't mind the book, but just let me purchase the 10 too without hassles.

As for buying MO, if you are buying a MO for a certain amount where the MO fee + MO amount would completely zero the balance of the card, the transaction is likely to be declined. I think they had far too many people come in and buy MO for a particular denomination.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:24 am

I got another MO through successfully at a store that never carries $500 GC and usually only has 1 youngish cashier at the CS desk (happy to share location by PM). Since someone was nice enough to share that debit cards auto drain, so their is no need to ask for split payment I have been just been paying the fee in cash. I think it's less suspicious since $500 is the max for one MO as well, but it's not obvious until the debit card is swiped that you only have $500 on the card.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:34 am

Since someone was nice enough to share that debit cards auto drain, so their is no need to ask for split payment I have been just been paying the fee in cash. I think it's less suspicious since $500 is the max for one MO as well, but it's not obvious until the debit card is swiped that you only have $500 on the card.
So after you swipe and enter the PIN the register will just indicate a balance of the MO fee which you can then hand to the cashier in cash? That's definitely good to know. I never wanted to test that personally and have the debit card fail, especially at a location with adversarial customer service reps. In practice, I've found the local Giants here to be very accommodating, and it was definitely not their first time ringing up a large purchase based on their comments even at locations where I thought I'd be the only one doing this.

I have to say it worked, and I've been shopping at Giant regularly now, even in the absence of the gift card promotions.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:41 pm

I went to about eight Giants today. My initial goal was to get $2,000 at each of them, but one Giant had no more VGCs left, so I needed to step it up. I noticed that most got the book out for $2,000. I have noticed that getting $5,000 seems to raise flags. I would avoid getting that much. I was able to get $2,500 without a problem.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: DL, AA
I'm glad I don't have to rely on the Philly area Giants. I purchased 5k of cards last week at my Giant and the cashier at customer service didn't seem phased by that amount. She also didn't bring out the book or make a mention of it. And I guess she didn't know about the promo, because my receipt came out and she said, "Holy S***" under her breath, and then handed it to me and was like you can save $36 off a gallon.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:17 pm

I had an interesting experience today at Giant with some info others might find useful. I do a little circuit since there are 2 other stores in the general area I can take go to, and it's inefficient to go to one store Tuesday, the next Wednesday etc. So I hit 3 Giants at the same time no more than once a week. This does not include the aforementioned Willow Grove.

1st Giant manager approved my largish amount after checking with somebody in a meeting.... sounds like they would have gone up to 5K. I would have done 5K, but having some credit card fraud issues. 2nd Giant is bizarre one that still does MOs but cash only for giftcards. 3rd one last time they had told me the limit was 2.5K, but this time guy checked around a bit and said 1k. They were still putting me in the book for 1K. He said limit at register was $300 for his store and the other store I had just been at before, and 1K. It was temporary because of fraud issues, "until they could get a handle on them."

Long story short I got a decent amount of info. First off it appears they do check up on the info that they fill out on the paper, because he made an offhand remark about my drivers license was fine last time. 2nd, the stores communicate with each other...he actually called the other Giant while I was there and found out about my previous purchase from 45 minutes earlier, and said that person would get in trouble for going over 1k. From what I gather there are 4 Giants that operate in a cluster and do share info, including the papers they fill out. He also said that he was sure the limit would go back up again shortly although he didn't say why (I suspect even if these cards aren't money makers, they look good on the books or something).
I got caught with my hand proverbially in the cookie jar. He said that buying 1K+1K at both stores was fine though. I'm going to leave this cluster of stores alone for a couple of weeks, and hope things simmer down.

Takeaway lessons...
1. At least some Giants are following up on the paperwork they take down.
2. If nearby Giants have made similar changes (no more "reward cards" for pins), expect that they are sharing info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.