FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1495260-stop-shop-giant-supermarkets-gas-rewards-points-gift-card-purchases.html)

brownie20 Aug 18, 13 7:44 pm

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

thought i would start this thread since there are ones for krogers and safeway in this forum and i love stocking up on gift cards during stop & shop's 2x gas reward promos!! mods please move this post as appropriate! :)

basically stop & shop offers double points for their gas reward points on gift cards only when advertised in their circular - gift card purchases earn zero points otherwise. some gift cards are always excluded including stop & shop, telecom, and reloadable cards. points can be redeemed for up to $2.20 off a gallon (2200 points) at participating shell gas stations. maximum 35 gallons / fuel up. points expire 30 days after they're earned.

the ad reads:
"Be ready to go back to school! Earn 2x gas points on participating gift card purchases with your stop & shop card. Excludes stop & shop gift cards. Excludes telecom and reloadable cards. Purchase must be made in one transaction with your stop & shop card. See store for more details. Offer valid 8/16-8/29/13. Subject to availability. See gift cards for details."

more details about the gas rewards program here:
http://www.stopandshop.com/savings/shell_program.htm

hopefully some of you in the CT/MA/NJ/NY/RI area are able to rack up some gas points ;)

zceuxbhjutf Aug 18, 13 8:08 pm

Here's the ad for subsidiary Giant...
http://giantfood.shoplocal.com/giant...4&pagenumber=7

kcblakely Aug 18, 13 8:34 pm

Wait. You mean Giant gives gas points for gift card purchases?:eek:

I experimented with this a few months ago with an Amazon card and got no points. Aaah!

Safeway has 4x going now, so that's a little easier, but they max out the bennie at $1 per gallon, max 25 gallons. Giant's program is better....

brownie20 Aug 18, 13 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf (Post 21295586)
Here's the ad for subsidiary Giant...
http://giantfood.shoplocal.com/giant...4&pagenumber=7

the giant ad looks exactly like the stop & shop ad!! when did giant change their big blue G symbol to the stop & shop symbol!?! :)

Originally Posted by kcblakely (Post 21295687)
Wait. You mean Giant gives gas points for gift card purchases?:eek:

I experimented with this a few months ago with an Amazon card and got no points. Aaah!

Safeway has 4x going now, so that's a little easier, but they max out the bennie at $1 per gallon, max 25 gallons. Giant's program is better....

if giant runs their promos like stop & shop you only get points when they advertise the 2x points in their circulars (otherwise no points!). i've never had a problem getting points with visa/shell gift cards whenever it's advertised - but i always make sure the g/c's i buy aren't excluded in the fine print! :)

JohnnyGraz Aug 18, 13 11:33 pm

Since you posted this, I might as well just go out and say it.

Stop & Shop allows you to buy variable load debit visa's with a credit card. :D

augustus21 Aug 19, 13 5:18 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyGraz (Post 21296305)

News to me. Thank you, kind sir. :D

MaineFlyer16 Aug 19, 13 7:03 am

According to SD forum, you only earn 1x on GC purchases in NJ. Be aware that if you buy over $2000 in GC in a day, they will want to record all of your personal information in a log book at the service desk. I am not sure where that info goes, so I have been buying only $1500 per trip.

freeflyin Aug 19, 13 7:56 am

Originally Posted by brownie20 (Post 21296182)
the giant ad looks exactly like the stop & shop ad!! when did giant change their big blue G symbol to the stop & shop symbol!?! :)

Stop and Shop = Giant, depending on your location.

You will often see items labelled with the other brand in the stores,depending on warehouse shipments and availability.

rismoney Aug 19, 13 10:15 am

gas

is their gas only shell?

JohnnyGraz Aug 19, 13 11:05 am

Originally Posted by augustus21 (Post 21297080)
News to me. Thank you, kind sir. :D

You're very welcome! Happy MSing!

WhateverDude Aug 19, 13 11:12 am

Also, my fellow northeasterners, Price Chopper also currently has 4X fuel points on GC purchases. In my area they only carry up to $100 Visa GCs, but they carry $500 Lowes and Home Depot GCs (among many others). Could be handy if you have some home improvements coming up.

Not worth a seperate thread...but it's something.

levelnine Aug 19, 13 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyGraz (Post 21296305)
Since you posted this, I might as well just go out and say it.

What fees are charged? They don't seem to be advertised in store.

gloreglabert Aug 19, 13 1:40 pm

People, this is not difficult. S&S sells variable load visas for the same $5.95 fee, on the same gift card rack, in the exact same way as Kroger, Safeway, and pretty much every other store that sells GCs. I'm guessing most of you go into a grocery once in awhile, and have probably walked by the huge gift card rack a thousand times. I don't get why people seem unable to spend 5 seconds during day-to-day activities doing the most trivial reconnaissance...

WhateverDude Aug 19, 13 1:42 pm

What's the card look like? Circles and arrows preferred.
kthanks!

ncSam Aug 19, 13 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by WhateverDude (Post 21299713)
What's the card look like? Circles and arrows preferred.
kthanks!

Or a picture of your wife holding one in front of the store