Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Any experience using Bluebird in foreign ATMs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience using Bluebird in foreign ATMs?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
This is upsetting with the sudden notice. I'm not happy
Any other alternatives for international ATM use that is recommended? I loved the fact that Bluebird didn't charge any fees beyond the ATM access fee. The foreign transaction fees can be a killer so alternative recommendations are appreciated as I dump Bluebird
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Fidelity Cash Management is the best, lowest-cost option I've found. I had actually switched over to it a few months ago because it's even lower-cost than Bluebird, but I was still hoping to keep Bluebird as a backup option. Alas, it was not to be.

The main thing I don't like about Fidelity is that their cards are ugly as sin. They make the Bluebird card look like a work of art.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jsk1973
Fidelity Cash Management is the best, lowest-cost option I've found. I had actually switched over to it a few months ago because it's even lower-cost than Bluebird, but I was still hoping to keep Bluebird as a backup option. Alas, it was not to be.

The main thing I don't like about Fidelity is that their cards are ugly as sin. They make the Bluebird card look like a work of art.
Awesome! Thanks for the recommendation, I just went into my Fidelity account and requested an ATM card with a few clicks! The fine print said they 'may' charge a 1% foreign transaction fee. Have you seen this 1% fee show up? Bluebird didn't have that kind of fee so just curious.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:01 pm

https://www.bluebird.com/customer/ still says:
Get free ATM access* at over 24,000 MoneyPass ATM locations, plus withdraw cash at virtually any ATM worldwide that accepts American Express Cards.
I hope this is some kind of mistake where they overreached from Serve, but I just transferred my entire Bluebird balance to my bank and will be sure to let Amex know why.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
Awesome! Thanks for the recommendation, I just went into my Fidelity account and requested an ATM card with a few clicks! The fine print said they 'may' charge a 1% foreign transaction fee. Have you seen this 1% fee show up? Bluebird didn't have that kind of fee so just curious.
Although the terms say or suggest otherwise, the FTF apparently is only enforced on purchases and not on ATM withdrawals, and reports suggest it's not always enforced against purchases, either.

Originally Posted by photaco

I hope this is some kind of mistake where they overreached from Serve, but I just transferred my entire Bluebird balance to my bank and will be sure to let Amex know why.
Ah, the "denial" stage. Ha ha.

I'm sure they'll get around to updating the website's fine print. Highly unlikely the "Bluebird Team" sent emails, under the Bluebird letterhead, to all cardholders by mistake.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by photaco

I received an email this morning:

Beginning January 6, 2016, you will no longer be able to withdraw money using your Bluebird Card at ATMs outside of the United States.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:56 pm

BB is great to use overseas with no FX fees but Schwab DC is also good to carry as back up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.