Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Any experience using Bluebird in foreign ATMs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience using Bluebird in foreign ATMs?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Global Entry
Maybank

I used my Bluebird card to withdraw several times from Maybank ATMs in Malaysia. I was only charged the $2 Bluebird fee. I withdrew RM 1500 per transaction.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:10 am

Location: Half time in PDX, Half time in Ajijic, Mexico. Near GDL
Programs: AA Platinum
No FTF or ATM fee in Mexico or Thailand

I use BB in Ajijic, MX all the time and am only charged the $2 BB fee...no FTF or ATM fee, and the exchange rate is always .4 to .6 pesos better than the local rate. Same was true in Bangkok when I was there in Feb 2014 although I don't know that the exchange rate was any better...never checked.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just completed two recent trips to England & Scotland and also Amsterdam. Used my Bluebird card at ATM's to withdraw cash at each location. Pretty much every ATM I went to accepted Bluebird and in the big cities and train stations it worked every time.

Upon return, I only was charged $2 ATM fee for each transaction, no foreign transaction fees or additional fees at all. I can live with that!

Now I wish the card had Chip & Pin and I would have used it even more!
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG/Marriott PLT
Can someone please work me thru how to use the website to locate ATM internationally ?
Couldnt find "change country" tab
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:28 pm

Just returned from Japan and confirm ATMs at the 7-11s (Seven Holdings) were fee free.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by sunnyD
Just returned from Japan and confirm ATMs at the 7-11s (Seven Holdings) were fee free.
Hey sunnyD: I'll be heading off to Japan for a few weeks soon (my first trip there), and have been wondering about ATM availability. In Europe, I just use the ATM card from my credit union at home, and it's always been easy to pull cash out from my home account ("Plus" network) pretty much everywhere.

I understand ATMs that can access foreign banks are not quite as prevalent in Japan, and was thinking about using Bluebird as a backup.

In your experience, did you find ATMs were plentiful (including those that you could use your BB card at)? Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Hey sunnyD: I'll be heading off to Japan for a few weeks soon (my first trip there), and have been wondering about ATM availability. In Europe, I just use the ATM card from my credit union at home, and it's always been easy to pull cash out from my home account ("Plus" network) pretty much everywhere.

I understand ATMs that can access foreign banks are not quite as prevalent in Japan, and was thinking about using Bluebird as a backup.

In your experience, did you find ATMs were plentiful (including those that you could use your BB card at)? Thanks!
Basically the only places with usable ATMs are 7-11 and Japan Post locations.

Luckily they are everywhere.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:01 pm

Another report in China.
Card rejected by Agricultural Bank, rejected by Construction Bank, and finally accepted by Bank of China. No FX, just a $2 atm fee.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: USAir, UA, AA, BA, Hyatt, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, IHG
ATM withdrawal in Dubai was effortless. $2 atm fee
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by greasy
Another report in China.
Card rejected by Agricultural Bank, rejected by Construction Bank, and finally accepted by Bank of China. No FX, just a $2 atm fee.
Would this apply to HKG as well? I'll be there for thanksgiving and I'm thinking of suing my Bb card for cash withdrawals
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:31 pm

Does serve work as well or just Bluebird?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:06 pm

using Blue Bird in ATM

I've used blue bird in mu last trip to Paris and Barcelona no problem at all and no fees and the exact exchange rate at that tme
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Just a report back since I had found info in this thread extremely useful

I was in Japan recently for a few weeks, and regularly used Bluebird to pull cash from ATMs there. Worked flawlessly - easy, quick, only a small fee and a very good exchange rate. I would use this option again happily. Every post office that I looked at had the necessary ATM. There are also ATMs at Narita (just after you exit immigration/customs/baggage claim) that take Bluebird - very convenient upon arrival. Just be sure to load up your Bluebird before leaving (I didn't see any Walmarts there. ).
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Returned from trip to Amsterdam. Bluebird worked at the ATM's in Schipol airport without any issue. Only a $2.50 ATM fee charged, that is quite a good deal compared with my local bank that charged me an ATM fee and a foreign transaction fee amounting to over $10.

Bluebird is great for WW ATM access.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:58 am

Tried in Brazil yesterday.
No luck on Bradesco, nor Caixa, nor Ita, nor Citi.
Don't know why. At the end I stuck my BoA card at the Citi atm and it worked. But got charged hefty fee of cuz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.