Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Any experience using Bluebird in foreign ATMs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience using Bluebird in foreign ATMs?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, nobody everywhere else
Originally Posted by Artemk
+1 used in Hong Kong - no problems. Small fee, since I did not have DD. You might want to call them first to double check what ATMs to use for no/ small fee.
Where in HK? I was in HK in May of 2013 and could not find an ATM anywhere that would accept it (though hotels/restaurants did).
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
I don't follow this myself as amuse Schwab but this thread reports that ATM withdrawals through BNP now are hit with a 3% fee:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...a-anymore.html
Thanks a lot.

I did not know that.

Closing BofA account shortly, no reason to keep it anymore.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
I just used my BB card at a Westpac ATM in Sydney, Australia. The ATM charges a AU$2.00 fee (in addition to the US$2.00 fee charged by BB). The exchange rate was the best market rate that day.

In contrast, I also used my SunTrust Debit MasterCard at the same ATM. This time the ATM charged NO fee (and neither does my bank for the type of checking account I have). But SunTrust adds a 3% surcharge to the best market rate, so the net result was nearly identical. I ended up using my SunTrust Debit MasterCard for the remainder of my ATM withdrawals.

I checked the ATM fees in Sydney at several banks. All charge a AU$2.00 fee for BB withdrawals. All (except Westpac) charge a AU$2.00 fee for SunTrust Debit MC withdrawals. Westpac has agreements with several foreign banks to not charge a fee for ATM card withdrawals using the foreign bank's debit card. Apparently, SunTrust must be one of them (although it's not on the list posted at the ATM).
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by numan
I normally use the post office ATMs there with my BofA checking account debit card but they hit you a $5 atm fee plus a 1% foreign transaction fee.

I'd much prefer to pay a flat $2 to Bluebird if their cards will work in Japan.
Don't use the Post Office ATMS. The 7-ELEVEN stores all have fee-free ATMS that accept BB. The only fee you will pay is the $2.00 ATM fee from BB. I used BB successfully at those ATMS a year ago.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by kshanew
Where in HK? I was in HK in May of 2013 and could not find an ATM anywhere that would accept it (though hotels/restaurants did).
There is absolutely no reason to use the actual physical BB card for anything other than cash withdrawals. By using it at a hotel or restaurant, you have chosen to decline the miles or points you could have earned using a no forex fee Rewards CC (like Amex Platinum, IHG Rewards Visa, Hyatt Visa, CitiAAdvantage Executive MasterCard, etc.).
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:41 am

Used in Aruba with no issues, $4 charge on the local ATM (ouch) but had a PP deposit on BB so no additional charge there.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic
Used in Istanbul at Ataturk airport. $2 fee. FX on point. There's an atm that accepts Amex across from luggage storage as you're exiting the airport.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by RyanNYNJ
Used in Istanbul at Ataturk airport. $2 fee. FX on point. There's an atm that accepts Amex across from luggage storage as you're exiting the airport.
What does "FX on point" mean? Also, is the currency dispensed Euros or Turkish Lira?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by NetBrowser07
is the currency dispensed Euros or Turkish Lira?
i can answer this. liras. i still have a few after last year visit to turkey
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:06 pm

Used BB at ATMs twice in Madrid and three times in Barcelona between 26 February and 06 March 2014 with no issues.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: Yes.
Originally Posted by DCBob
Don't use the Post Office ATMS. The 7-ELEVEN stores all have fee-free ATMS that accept BB. The only fee you will pay is the $2.00 ATM fee from BB. I used BB successfully at those ATMS a year ago.
In JP now, BB works great at 8-11 but hasn't worked at any other atm I've tried (incl citi and a few local)
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by econjon
In JP now, BB works great at 8-11 but hasn't worked at any other atm I've tried (incl citi and a few local)
8-11? Must be a brand new chain.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by DCBob
8-11? Must be a brand new chain.
I can confirm this. They have unlimited VR supply and allow unlimited Served loads using CC.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:11 am

Do I need to contact Bluebird to let them know I plan to use the card internationally?
Old Mar 30, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Do I need to contact Bluebird to let them know I plan to use the card internationally?
No.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.