Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Any experience using Bluebird in foreign ATMs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience using Bluebird in foreign ATMs?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Artemk
No, Money Pass is not necessary.
Very nice...
Old May 23, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by newbieflyer1
i used BB in paris,swiss and Belgium without any issues at ATM
Were these close together withdrawals?
I'm traveling between 4 different countries within a week's time and wonder if they would flag like a normal credit card?
Old May 24, 2013, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, BA, HH, IHG
Angry

Tried yesterday in the Vendome metro station in Montreal. Invalid.
Old May 24, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Couldn't get it to work with Vietcombank ATMs in Vietnam earlier this year. I didn't feel like calling them half-way rtw since I have other no-fee option to withdrawal cash.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jools1006
I had no luck using Bluebird in the UK. Got 'invalid card'. Annoying.
You may well have used an ATM that only supports chip cards. That's what I get if I accidentally put my BOA debit card.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Check with BB with regard to banks associated with their network. They gave me a list of ATM's to look for when I was in Italy.

Also be aware if you have accessed 10k from your account via bill pay or ATM you have reached your monthly limit.
Old May 24, 2013, 3:27 pm

There are a bunch of ATMs in Asia that only takes VISA and Mastercards. In Korea, I had to try 3 or 4 places before I found one that supports AMEX.
Old May 24, 2013, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

I just used it in a grocery store and in the SAQ (provincial wine store). I swiped it and it went through like a credit card,in that I didn't need to input my pin. This surprised me. BTW I am in Montreal.
Old May 28, 2013, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by guera
I swiped it and it went through like a credit card, in that I didn't need to input my pin. This surprised me. BTW I am in Montreal
was a small fee added in your account history ?
Old May 28, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: AA, UA, US
Did not work in 2 ATM's in Mexico this weekend.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone determined which network(s) are officially supported by Bluebird?

Any idea if they use AMEX's exchange rates?

I called Bluebird and their first response was: any ATM where American Express is supported. They believed the exchange rate is the same as AMEX but I think they were guessing.

I was put on hold and they told me the network (for my trip to Europe) should be Equens. They also gave me the name of a local bank (ABN - AMRO). It's nice they'll look this up for customers in advance.

For those who could not use their cards at Foreign ATMs, I would imagine the ATM did not support American Express but instead supported the typical networks linked to Visa and MasterCard. Does anyone have a different experience?

AFAIK, the MoneyPass network is only available in the US. This is the only fee-free network. My understanding is that all other networks will incur a $2 fee but no additional foreign transaction fee.
Old May 31, 2013, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
was a small fee added in your account history ?
No fee added. They just converted Can $ to US $ at close to the official exchange rate.

No ATM love anywhere in Montreal. When I got home I called to see if there was a problem with my card or if I was just using the wrong kinds of ATM's. They had no record of my trying to use different ATMs. They did not tell me if any ATM's in Montreal accepted their card.

It is good to know that you can call them ahead of travel and they can let you know which ATM's to use. I will do this next time I am out of the country, but will take a back-up card just in case!

The Bluebird site has a way to search for ATM's in the US, but not overseas.
Old May 31, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by guera
The Bluebird site has a way to search for ATM's in the US, but not overseas.
http://www.amexnetwork.com/atmfinder/
Old May 31, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lad2
Great find.

When you change countries, the page will refresh and show the networks supported in that country near the bottom of the page.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jaxbill
Great find.

When you change countries, the page will refresh and show the networks supported in that country near the bottom of the page.
My card didn't work in ATM's which displayed the "interac" logo, even though this web page says that AMEX cards can be used in them.

Please continue to post success/failure with your BB ATM overseas withdrawals. Thanks everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.