Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Any experience using Bluebird in foreign ATMs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience using Bluebird in foreign ATMs?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:49 pm

Used mine at Koper Bank in Slovenia last month. $2.50 AMEX ATM fee was all I got charged.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
None of my bluebirds or serves have a chip in them. Will this be a problem - hitting Italy, France, Singapore, Australia?
Old May 29, 2015, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by sam_goh
None of my bluebirds or serves have a chip in them. Will this be a problem - hitting Italy, France, Singapore, Australia?
No, but the ATM has to accept Amex to work which is the biggest trick. I've withdrawn money in Italy, Czech, Germany, and France. Usually only a $2 fee and right in line with market rates; really a great card overseas.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
Returned from trip to Amsterdam. Bluebird worked at the ATM's in Schipol airport without any issue. Only a $2.50 ATM fee charged, that is quite a good deal compared with my local bank that charged me an ATM fee and a foreign transaction fee amounting to over $10.

Bluebird is great for WW ATM access.
Just withdrew from an abn amro atm at schipol. Also charged the 2.50 atm fee. Not too happy with the FX rate they used. Withdrew 500 euros which should've been 540 usd, but was charged 570 usd by bb (not including the 2.50). Not terrible and yes I would have paid more at the bank, but when I withdrew using my bb at a korean atm last year the FX rate used by bb was nearly exactly the FX rate for that day.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Any tips for use in Australia (Brisbane or Sydney)?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by TTnC4me
Never tried there, but it is as simple as finding an ATM that takes Amex.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TTnC4me
Use the "Search this Thread" tool and type in Sydney. You will find the answer you are looking for....
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:24 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I find this easy use at foreign ATM's to be a prime reason to hang on to a Blue Bird. It works when the credit cards get wonky, and it's quick cash when you need some. We pack a bird on every trip.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
So far have had great luck in Europe withdrawing money. However - don't assume that Serve is the same as Bluebird. Looked at my online statement 2.7% forex fee DOI! :P
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:28 am

american express card blue bird need security verification

I use in past year in ukraine several time without problem. after several month, american express send new card said my card compromised. I just travel in germany and succussfully withdraw 500 euro. several day later , attempt withdraw in ukraine, it was declined . called american express blue card, it requires me to send passport and driver license to verify my identity. lessen to learn, you cannot rely on american express card for travel oversee. I have past experience for american express normal credit card was canceled in middle of oversee travel.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:49 pm

Used successfully in Vancouver, Sydney, Tokyo, Seoul, Bangkok, and Chiang Mai -- no forex, only ATM fee.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: Northwest, United
I used BB exclusively for pulling cash from ATMs throughout Japan last year - worked great.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
new AMEX ATM finder

bump from a much earlier post--the new URL for the ATM finder is
http://network.americanexpress.com/en/atm_locator/
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Big news

Just got an email that says, effective *today,* it will no longer be possible to withdraw money from a Bluebird account at any ATM outside the United States. (Apparently the same is true for Serve cards.)

Nothing like getting zero days notice for a huge change in terms/features. I'd hate to be someone traveling outside the U.S. who was relying on Bluebird to get them through a trip.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jsk1973
Big news

Just got an email that says, effective *today,* it will no longer be possible to withdraw money from a Bluebird account at any ATM outside the United States. (Apparently the same is true for Serve cards.)

Nothing like getting zero days notice for a huge change in terms/features. I'd hate to be someone traveling outside the U.S. who was relying on Bluebird to get them through a trip.
This is upsetting with the sudden notice. I'm not happy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.