Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:12 pm

I've had varying levels of success recently buying Walmart MOs with USB MCGCs.

One store near me has these terminals and I have been able to use the Mastercard GCs by hitting Change Payment... however today I was not able to hit the yellow button before it went away and declined payment for running as credit. I had the cashier try it again and it still did not register me hitting Change Payment

The wiki says timing is critical... but are there factors that affect this? Is there a cashier response on their screen that determines how long the screen with "Change Payment" is available? Should I just keep hitting the screen or the yellow button repeatedly and hope it registers me pressing it when "Change Payment" flashes on the screen?

Unfortunately, the other 2 stores near me have the even newer (EMV) terminals. These all instantly recognize the USB MCGC as credit, is there any workaround for these?

Thanks for any help
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by dan_gerzone
I've had varying levels of success recently buying Walmart MOs with USB MCGCs.

One store near me has these terminals and I have been able to use the Mastercard GCs by hitting Change Payment... however today I was not able to hit the yellow button before it went away and declined payment for running as credit. I had the cashier try it again and it still did not register me hitting Change Payment

The wiki says timing is critical... but are there factors that affect this? Is there a cashier response on their screen that determines how long the screen with "Change Payment" is available? Should I just keep hitting the screen or the yellow button repeatedly and hope it registers me pressing it when "Change Payment" flashes on the screen?

Unfortunately, the other 2 stores near me have the even newer (EMV) terminals. These all instantly recognize the USB MCGC as credit, is there any workaround for these?

Thanks for any help
Where are you located? There have been some recent reports of Walmart registers rejecting all prepaid gift cards (including Visa) on the East Coast.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
Where are you located? There have been some recent reports of Walmart registers rejecting all prepaid gift cards (including Visa) on the East Coast.
I'm on the west coast, no issues here with Visa gift cards issued by Metabank. I've had success on both the old (color) terminals, and the new EMV ones.

With the MasterCard GCs, I think it's just a timing issue hitting the Change Payment button... but recently it goes away so quickly I can't press it
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by michael_v
In which thread were these reports? TIA

I may be mistaken, but, I think those reports relate to Kates (not registers).
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by FindAWay

Sorry, I cannot find those posts.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by dan_gerzone
With the MasterCard GCs, I think it's just a timing issue hitting the Change Payment button... but recently it goes away so quickly I can't press it
Are u referring to US bank MasterCards only? what about Metabank MasterCards?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
Are u referring to US bank MasterCards only? what about Metabank MasterCards?
I'm relatively new to MS, but so far in my area I have only found variable MasterCard GCs issued by US Bank... whereas the variable Visa GCs sold right beside them are Metabank.

No KATEs in my area seem to work, I've tried 5 different WMs and on all of them when pressing Money Order it directs you to the service desk. I thought they may have been out of paper as I've read previously, however one of the stores has a laminated sign on KATE saying that all MOs must be purchased at the desk. I'm in California btw.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
first failure w/BB at WM

Bought a $500 US Bank Variable Debit/GC (Visa) at Kroger today. Went to Walmart and couldn't load it onto my BB. First failure ever. Tried 2 diff. stores. No love.
I live in Idaho.

Will any Debit/GC ($500) work at WM?

[Will try work-around mentioned in wiki tomorrow.]

Last edited by philemer; Mar 24, 2015 at 4:40 pm Reason: added "Visa"
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:41 pm

Buy the VISA instead

Hmm, is it actually Activated ? try to buy a banana, pack of gum, or whatever without using a PIN

Last edited by Alcibiades; Mar 25, 2015 at 5:15 am
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Buy the VISA instead
It is a Visa. Same type I've been buying for over 2 years. First failure. [Added "Visa" to OP--thanks.]

Last edited by philemer; Mar 24, 2015 at 4:48 pm
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by philemer
Bought a $500 US Bank Variable Debit/GC (Visa) at Kroger today. Went to Walmart and couldn't load it onto my BB. First failure ever. Tried 2 diff. stores. No love.
I live in Idaho.

Will any Debit/GC ($500) work at WM?

[Will try work-around mentioned in wiki tomorrow.]
Kate or Register? Or, both attempted?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kate or Register? Or, both attempted?
Register only. No Kate.

My first attempt I used the last 4 digits on the front of the card as the PIN so that may have caused the problem. I then called Visa and reset the PIN. Tried again and no love.

Called a few minutes and asked the Visa rep. to reset the card because of using the "last 4" as a PIN. She reset it so will try again tomorrow. Irritating.

Thx
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:45 pm

Saw that if you buy $50 worth of groceries at Publix, you get a $50 VCG for $40. The coupon said 1 coupon per person etc..but the lady in front of me bought $500 worth of Sushi and get 10 cards for $40 /ea. YMMV.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Register only. No Kate.

My first attempt I used the last 4 digits on the front of the card as the PIN so that may have caused the problem. I then called Visa and reset the PIN. Tried again and no love.

Called a few minutes and asked the Visa rep. to reset the card because of using the "last 4" as a PIN. She reset it so will try again tomorrow. Irritating.

Thx

The reset did the trick. I should have reset the PIN as soon as I bought it like I usually do. I unloaded the $500 at the Money Center with the assistance of a cheerful young lady.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:40 pm

The reset did the trick. I should have reset the PIN as soon as I bought it like I usually do. I unloaded the $500 at the Money Center with the assistance of a cheerful young lady.
Please post this information to the wiki. This question is asked frequently relating to US Bank cards. Please be specific as to what you ask the rep to do because apparently there is more than one thing they can reset.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.