Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I purchased 3 VGCs from RA and it looks like 1 didn't activate correctly
you will have to fax stuff
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:00 am

Deleted

Last edited by Lucky888; Oct 17, 2015 at 10:35 pm
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Lucky888
Eh. If it didn't activate correctly, I would just go back to the store and demand a refund. They sold you a bad product, you shouldn't have to jump through hoops.
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
you will have to fax stuff
Originally Posted by lumangoy
how soon can I call incomm?

I purchased 3 VGCs from RA and it looks like 1 didn't activate correctly.

I checked the balance on the website and it says the info I entered isn't correct. I still have the container that has that matches the last 4 of the card and the last 4 of the container matches the last 4 on the receipt.
I faxed the info yesterday.

Not sure if it was my fax last night or a delay in activation, but I checked this morning, and the website accepted the info I entered and it has a balance!

Wow, that was the first time this happened to me, I'm glad it didn't take very long to get the funds.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Lucky888
Eh. If it didn't activate correctly, I would just go back to the store and demand a refund
CVS or Rite Aid dont have a process in place for such a store refund, so it wont happen. At Kroger, it is possible.

Last edited by Alcibiades; Oct 8, 2015 at 11:47 am
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:40 am
jk2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mamibear
as long as you have a receipt, ask to see cash department for your refund. I don't think you'll have a hard time dealing with them (except if the personnel is having a bad hair day or just grumpy by nature). If you have no receipt, maybe giving the date/approx time of transaction will suffice for them to trace the transaction. Good luck!
I went to WMT and lady from cash department briefly looked to my receipt and told me to deal with issuing bank instead. She told me that bank should submit some request to them (like dispute) electronically. I am not sure she knew what she was talking about. So, I had to call bank and file a dispute with them. Agent told me that I should receive some paperwork from them in 5-7 days, I should respond and wait for resolution for 90 days. nice...

Since I wasn't alone who was unfortunate to use GCs on that day, what is your result? Did you get your money back?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by jk2
I went to WMT and lady from cash department briefly looked to my receipt and told me to deal with issuing bank instead
She needs to investigate with Walmart's electronic records department to trace down what funds in that transaction went where.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:03 pm
jk2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
She needs to investigate with Walmart's electronic records department to trace down what funds in that transaction went where.
How to do it? She was very apathetic, and clearly didn't want to investigate anything. It's like talking with a wall.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
How to do it? She was very apathetic, and clearly didn't want to investigate anything. It's like talking with a wall.
I checked with both WMT and other vendor and they couldn't help. I had procrastinated somewhat and hadn't done the dispute with Meta.

A few days ago I was preparing the dispute letters (I had multiple cards)....and I logged into the aaa accounting portal to print off each card's statement and send them all as attachments to my individual dispute letters.....and noted that without my dispute the money was back on the card.

Initial charges: 9/28, 9/29, 9/30 (on the 30th I did a few $10 attempts just to see if they were working). All were refunded on 10/23 without my filing a dispute, including the small $10 ones.

Let me know if you have any questions, but if you've been waiting on these, check your cards.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by markbernat
I checked with both WMT and other vendor and they couldn't help. I had procrastinated somewhat and hadn't done the dispute with Meta.

A few days ago I was preparing the dispute letters (I had multiple cards)....and I logged into the aaa accounting portal to print off each card's statement and send them all as attachments to my individual dispute letters.....and noted that without my dispute the money was back on the card.

Initial charges: 9/28, 9/29, 9/30 (on the 30th I did a few $10 attempts just to see if they were working). All were refunded on 10/23 without my filing a dispute, including the small $10 ones.

Let me know if you have any questions, but if you've been waiting on these, check your cards.
Further, I was able to transact/drain these cards last night at Walmart.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:00 pm

I had a host timeout purchasing an MO and my OVPPVC was drained.

How do I file a dispute with Vanilla's website says:
How do I dispute a OneVanilla Card transaction?
If there are any disputes in regard to purchases you make using the Card, you agree to settle such disputes with the merchant from whom the purchase was made.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:14 pm

How do I dispute a OneVanilla Card transaction?
If there are any disputes in regard to purchases you make using the Card, you agree to settle such disputes with the merchant from whom the purchase was made.
I wasn't aware of this terms, now I know there's going to be a problem if I need to dispute a GC purchase at WAG if they didn't activate properly. Every time I buy OVs there, cashiers tell me the spiel, all sales are final, they can't be returned. I must agree to this before they allow me to swipe my CC. Fortunately, all my VGC purchases at WAG have been hassle-free with all cards activated properly that I was able to turn to MOs right after purchase.

now, if I'm using the VGCs at other merchants like FD, I go to those where cashiers/managers know how to do a post void/abort transaction so funds go back instantly to my VGCs in case of failed transactions. It happened to me at least twice, they were resolved right then and I was able to load at the next branch.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I wasn't aware of this terms, now I know there's going to be a problem if I need to dispute a GC purchase at WAG if they didn't activate properly. Every time I buy OVs there, cashiers tell me the spiel, all sales are final, they can't be returned. I must agree to this before they allow me to swipe my CC. Fortunately, all my VGC purchases at WAG have been hassle-free with all cards activated properly that I was able to turn to MOs right after purchase.
Activation is different. Incomm assisted me when one of my cards didn't activate correctly at RA. I just sent the receipt and after a few days, the card was activated and the funds were in.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:15 pm

Question Unreadable, Activated OV Visa GC

Has anyone had this before? This is a first for me. I bought a OV Visa GC at Rite Aid last week that is activated and shows correct balance (both on website, and via OV CSR), but none of the 3 (known good) card readers I've tried to swipe it on have worked. There is a little visible scratch on the mag strip, but I can't know if it was there "out of the box" or if it was scratched by some debris in the first card reader I tried. I called OV and the CSR is sending me a replacement. Just curious if anyone has had this experience before.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:26 pm

YMMV.

Last edited by Chelski; Jan 9, 2016 at 9:56 am
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Chelski
Two things...

1. Have you tried to swipe in reverse (swipe up)?
2. Tried the plastic bag trick? Put card in a plastic shopping bag and swipe

It's a little late to try since it's being replaced but those are two common ways to get the card to read.
I didn't try either of those. Will next time though, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.