Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2015, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by janetdoe
When I am loading a big stack of cards on Kate(s), I invariably have one that is declined or won't go through, usually I just try it the next day, or go to a normal checkout line and it works. One time, I had to go online and register the card and then it worked after that. Sometimes random crap happens and I don't get freaked out about it.

Yesterday I was at MCs at two different WMs and heard CSMs tell people that the whole WM-to-WM money transfer system was down, so if they wanted to send money they would have to use MoneyGram. I have zero idea if or how the systems are related, but the Kates at those WMs were completely shut down, powered off. Perhaps coincidence.
For a few days last summer, WM could not process ANY Chase card. The cashiers said all the cards got declined. Point is, WM has an IT system that is connected to other systems too. Sometimes system issues slow things down.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA ExP || SPG Plt || Honors Diamond || UA Silver
Anyone jumped on the Staples MGC deal today?
Bought several MGCs. When I tried to register my cards online I was told
"One or more field values entered are incorrect. Please try again or call 866-952-5653 for assistance."
After talking to a representative, I was told I should send US Bank a fax with blahblah.
Seems like a lot of people are experiencing similar difficulties in MGC activation. Maybe this is a system wide problem?
Is this because I should wait for another ~24 hrs? Or I have to send them a fax anyways?

Thanks
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by mrsmsr
Seems like a lot of people are experiencing similar difficulties in MGC activation. Maybe this is a system wide problem ?
compromised plastic
Old Jul 12, 2015, 4:21 pm

No problems loading 4x200 MB GC today.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:08 am

Anyone jumped on the Staples MGC deal today?
Bought several MGCs. When I tried to register my cards online I was told
"One or more field values entered are incorrect. Please try again or call 866-952-5653 for assistance."
After talking to a representative, I was told I should send US Bank a fax with blahblah.
Seems like a lot of people are experiencing similar difficulties in MGC activation. Maybe this is a system wide problem?
Is this because I should wait for another ~24 hrs? Or I have to send them a fax anyways?

Thanks
I have the same issue here. Have you fax them the documents they asked?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:14 am

Two of the six MCGC's I bought at Staples yesterday aren't activated.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:50 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
I don't take part in the buying gift cards for MS and cashing them in, but I did happen to buy a $200 visa gift card as a present yesterday when I was at staples.

Gave it to my wife to use, and she went to activate it, and its not been activated. I just bought one and on the receipt it shows as activated on the receipt.

Says wait 24 hours...well its just been over 24 hours and still not active

Guess I will wait a bit longer.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:56 pm

Tried to load some Meta VGC with usual Kate today. After hitting 'reload', screen says swipe BB card. Ok great. However, Kate did not react to my usual swipe. After a minute of trying she said ' do you wish to continue?' After pressing 'yes', same deal. The blue arrows were lit up where you swipe, but no reaction after swiping. Anyone have any tips ?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by balwx
Tried to load some Meta VGC with usual Kate today. After hitting 'reload', screen says swipe BB card. Ok great. However, Kate did not react to my usual swipe. After a minute of trying she said ' do you wish to continue?' After pressing 'yes', same deal. The blue arrows were lit up where you swipe, but no reaction after swiping. Anyone have any tips ?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25112617-post2834.html
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:06 pm

Loaded MBs to KATE this evening. No problemo.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Bought several MGCs. After talking to a representative, I was told I should send US Bank a fax with blahblah.
Seems like a lot of people are experiencing similar difficulties in MGC activation.
Same thing happened to me with 2 MGCs from yesterday. I was told both were incorrectly activated and had been "blocked." I faxed in the required info.

Went back to the same Staples today and bought 2 more. No problems calling in to verify balance and set custom PIN.

On that note, the wiki says the default PIN should be printed inside the package but I don't see anything on the insert or the outer packaging. Is it the last 4 digits or first use or neither?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:11 pm

Loaded 12 MB via KATE this afternoon. No issues at all
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:50 pm

Loaded 3 $500 to Kate tonight with no problem. Then tried $500 at cashier (MB from GCM) and it said "tender not allowed." First time this has happened to me.

Last edited by ECCM; Jul 13, 2015 at 10:07 pm
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mamibear
NOT really. I bought one of the headphones $1xx.xx and paid with OV and it went through which means Vanillas are accepted as payment (had to do the workaround to choose DEBIT) for MERCHANDISE but not for loading prepaid or buying MOs.
If you are buying a merchandise, why bother to change the payment method? ALL Visa/MC debit cards can be used as credit cards. Buying merchandise certainly can be paid with a credit card, so why do you need to change it to debit? Completely unnecessary.

The whole thing of Vanilla cannot be used to buy MO or to load prepaid at WM is, WM uses unconventional method to take fund out from Vanilla when it is used for MO / Prepaid - instead of using Visa/MC network, it is speculated it uses some ACH-like method. Since Bancorp is banned by FDIC to initiate ACH due to its sloppy compliance records, the Vanilla genre stops working at WM.

However at grocery stores where the Vanilla fund is drained via the conventional method, using Visa / MC network, it functions just like a debit card.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:01 am

Had two $200 GCM Metabank cards (from Staples online) refuse to load at Kate today.

I see "Purchase Original Sale Reversal" in the order history on GCM site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.