Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kprabu
I loaded a metabank $500 card at a Walmart counter and the 2nd $500 failed with a debit not authorized error. Will try again Tomorrow. There is definitely something going on - need to see if it is gets resolved tommorrow

When that happens I simply use another GC, if I dont have any others then I will try any Counter. Same with Kate, she says no but usually a no from her doesnt mean no, it means try again

The other day I used part of a GC to load 1 card and later when I tried to use up the rest it didnt go thru, kept getting different messages (on Kate). Turned out Kate took the food and ran, yep called up the card finally and heard there was a $0 bal when it should have been 1/2 the cards value still left. Called up BB and my bal was shy the amount Kate took.

Didnt want to deal with the mgrs so I went the way of the CS dept of the card.Long story short hrs later on its own Kates bosses put the amount back onto the GC since it didnt post to the card I was loading. No receipt of any kind came forth from Kate for that transaction. Nice to know Wally has a system that corrects everything on its own. Thought I was going to eat it as a cost of doing business, happy I didnt have to. Also glad I was able to get an OV @ a 7 before visiting Kate, used that to finish off my work instead.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:50 pm

"As of 6/19/2014, Walmart does not accept debit transactions at or above $50 from cards issued by Bancorp, namely Vanilla Visas (OV, VGC, etc.). Attempts result in "Alternate Tender Required," "Debit Not Available," and/or some other error message, at both registers and the Money Center Express (MCE, kiosk, Kate, ATM). There is no workaround."

I don't think I understand this sentence correctly.
Does that mean that it is impossible to use any Visa gift cards >$50 at walmart's kate?
or does that mean that Visas not from bankcorp & mastercards should work?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Any update on this today yet?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rylan
Any update on this today yet?
I have had no problem unloading multiple metabank 500 cards at walmart both yesterday and today, the best way to be sure it will work for you is to try it out.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:46 pm

I unloaded 2 metabank $500 gcs today for a $1k MO at Walmart with no issues.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by kprabu
I loaded a metabank $500 card at a Walmart counter and the 2nd $500 failed with a debit not authorized error. Will try again Tomorrow. There is definitely something going on - need to see if it is gets resolved tommorrow
Hammered out 4 x $500 today. No issues.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:06 pm

I had a similar problem with buxx yesterday
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:50 pm

I went to the MC counter today instead of Kate with the same card I used yesterday. I was able to load the $450.01 balance to BB with no problems. It could just be Kate was acting up yesterday.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by TexAg07
I went to the MC counter today instead of Kate with the same card I used yesterday. I was able to load the $450.01 balance to BB with no problems. It could just be Kate was acting up yesterday.
She can be temperamental at times.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
When I am loading a big stack of cards on Kate(s), I invariably have one that is declined or won't go through, usually I just try it the next day, or go to a normal checkout line and it works. One time, I had to go online and register the card and then it worked after that. Sometimes random crap happens and I don't get freaked out about it.

Yesterday I was at MCs at two different WMs and heard CSMs tell people that the whole WM-to-WM money transfer system was down, so if they wanted to send money they would have to use MoneyGram. I have zero idea if or how the systems are related, but the Kates at those WMs were completely shut down, powered off. Perhaps coincidence.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT Globalist, Marriott GLD, Car National Exe
I had the same problem few times in the past using SMGC. Once in awhile, one of the card would not load through Kate. I had a similar thing happened yesterday; one of the card gave me error. So I loaded the rest of the cards with Kate, then went to to the parking lot, reset the pin and went to another WM, loaded at the counter.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by switchyj
"As of 6/19/2014, Walmart does not accept debit transactions at or above $50 from cards issued by Bancorp, namely Vanilla Visas (OV, VGC, etc.). Attempts result in "Alternate Tender Required," "Debit Not Available," and/or some other error message, at both registers and the Money Center Express (MCE, kiosk, Kate, ATM). There is no workaround."

Does that mean that it is impossible to use any Visa gift cards >$50 at walmart's kate?
NOt too sure why it is hard to understand, it is pretty straight forward....
Old Jul 11, 2015, 7:14 am

NOT really. I bought one of the headphones $1xx.xx and paid with OV and it went through which means Vanillas are accepted as payment (had to do the workaround to choose DEBIT) for MERCHANDISE but not for loading prepaid or buying MOs.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by switchyj

The sentence means what it says, which is that debit transactions at or above $50 will fail if using a gift card issued by bancorp (this applies to Kate and the registers). The sentence does not say or imply that gift cards from other issuers will necessarily work. (although if you read the thread I think you'll see reports that many other gift cards DO work above $50)
Old Jul 12, 2015, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by jonwilsonmft
This would suck if it was nation wide! You could try at the MC desk too and see if it works.
Sky is not falling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.