Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:51 am

The wiki post:
"Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013."

Why not the same regulation apply to AmEx gift cards?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by prasha11
The wiki post:
"Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013."

Why not the same regulation apply to AmEx gift cards?
Because Amex does not have a debit card network.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
Because Amex does not have a debit card network.
What network AmEx GCs run on? credit card network? (Gift card is debt instrument)
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:38 pm

I recently purchased 2 US Bank VGC from Fredy Meyer (Kroger). Even though they come with the PIN on cardstock inside the packaging, I called and set the PIN.

I loaded card #1 to my Bluebird ($500) with no problem. Card #2 was declinded with "Debit Not Available - Code 75".

I left, went online (and called) and verified it has a $500 balance. I reset the PIN and tried again at a different Walmart. Same failure.

I then went to a local grocery store which only accepts debit (no credit cards). It was declined.

I called customer service. She advised to use the card as credit, and not debit. After going round and round she game me a fax number and said to fax a copy of the receipt and original packaging along with name, address, phone, and explain that it will not run as debit and I want to exchange it.

I have bought hundreds of these VGC from Fred Meyer over the last year and never had a problem. It could be just a defective card. I haven't tried to run it as credit yet.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by fluffyCat
I recently purchased 2 US Bank VGC from Fredy Meyer (Kroger). Even though they come with the PIN on cardstock inside the packaging, I called and set the PIN.

I loaded card #1 to my Bluebird ($500) with no problem. Card #2 was declinded with "Debit Not Available - Code 75".

I left, went online (and called) and verified it has a $500 balance. I reset the PIN and tried again at a different Walmart. Same failure.

I then went to a local grocery store which only accepts debit (no credit cards). It was declined.

I called customer service. She advised to use the card as credit, and not debit. After going round and round she game me a fax number and said to fax a copy of the receipt and original packaging along with name, address, phone, and explain that it will not run as debit and I want to exchange it.

I have bought hundreds of these VGC from Fred Meyer over the last year and never had a problem. It could be just a defective card. I haven't tried to run it as credit yet.
This has happened to me few times (3/4), same story....buy no more US bank VGC.

Ask for a replacement card (I never thought about it then)

I used it as credit for other products and also vgc at cvs, cost me extra fee ($5/6) and moved on....
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:48 pm

Is Walmart still not automatically draining Visa gift cards, meaning we still have to tell the cashier how much to put on each card when loading a larger amount?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:04 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Oops, so I bought some Vanilla visa's GC (green thank you) at a drug store with a cc because they had the lowest fee for 500.
Now I learn that this Visa, aka Bancorp, namely Vanilla Visas (OV, VGC, etc.) will not load BB. With Evolve who do I get outta this?
Any work around any hints?
PM welcome, thank you!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by frank_10b
Oops, so I bought some Vanilla visa's GC (green thank you) at a drug store with a cc because they had the lowest fee for 500.
Now I learn that this Visa, aka Bancorp, namely Vanilla Visas (OV, VGC, etc.) will not load BB. With Evolve who do I get outta this?
PM welcome, thank you!
If you can use as a debit card with PIN, you can buy money orders, then deposit into your bank account.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frank_10b
PM welcome, thank you!
Some grocery stores will accept pin-enabled GCs (call them debit cards if asked, though) for MO purchase, including VVs and OVs. In my city one of the three Hy-Vees will do so, while the other two will not.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Is Walmart still not automatically draining Visa gift cards, meaning we still have to tell the cashier how much to put on each card when loading a larger amount?
Where does auto-draining occur when a card is run as Debit? There are lots of places that will autodrain when run as Credit.

I still tell the cashier in what amounts to split the tender.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:53 am

Just purchase something and pay with VGC. The system will ask for another payment if the VGC is not enough to cover the amount.

Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by vinhboy
1) Evolve Money
2) Load $49 each time at WM -- OV works for less than $50 at WM.
3) Drive somewhere where they don't know your face...
For #2 - is that for Kate or only at the register? Thanks! BamaCbat
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by bamacbat
For #2 - is that for Kate or only at the register? Thanks! BamaCbat
Works fine on Kate. Just takes 1.5 min per $49 load (as does any load). So getting rid of a $500 GC takes 15 min+. HUGE time suck.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: frequent flyer, airline cards
Angry unable to use Visa Gift Card to buy MO

Help! just bought loads of $50 Visa GF at Office Depot to maximize the 5x points on the Chase Ink Plus. Office Depot is now offering $10 rebate when buying two $50 GC, so in essence you get the cards for free since the rebate covers the activation fee. Then tried buying MO at Publix and 7/11 and in both cases using the debit with PIN resulted in "Card Not Authorized." There was no clerk involved, the POS reader declined the cards. I tried buying a $400 money order using 8 cards at once. I didn't try buying a lower value MO, but I don't think that was the issue since when you buy merchandise exceeding the value on the card, the balance due will adjust and you then swipe the next card. And I do not live near a Wal-Mart where other flyers say this isn't an issue.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: frequent flyer, airline cards
Re: stores that sell MO using a debit card with PIN. Any suggestions for south Florida? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.