Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
did u try the number in the wiki?
Or look at their website where they prominently apologize for printing the wrong phone number on the front of the recent batch of cards?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: Aadvantage ExPlt, SPG Platinum 100, Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by cdancer20
did u try the number in the wiki?
Did you notice that the number i listed as the one i called and not working was the same number as listed in the wiki, or did you just decide that it would be easier to jump to the conclusion that i was being lazy and therefore in need of correction or being chastised?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by mbaker4096
Or look at their website where they prominently apologize for printing the wrong phone number on the front of the recent batch of cards?
Did that also, it has the new number blanked out, that's why i came here hoping for help instead of people acting snarky.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:27 pm

I won't quote you, to give you a chance to delete your comment and hide your mistake.

But the number you listed is

866-952-9653

The number on the wiki is

866-952-5653

cdancer20 is probably one of the nicer people on here. I think you owe her an apology...
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by lovenola
Did that also, it has the new number blanked out, that's why i came here hoping for help instead of people acting snarky.
mygiftcardsite.com shows the correct number (which is the same as the one in the wiki, which is different than the number you mentioned; check it again).
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by vinhboy
I won't quote you, to give you a chance to delete your comment and hide your mistake.

866-952-9653

866-952-5653

cdancer20 is probably one of the nicer people on here. I think you owe her an apology...
Sorry about that and thanks for the correction. I jumped to conclusions and made a mistake
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by lovenola
Does anyone know what's up with phone number for the us bank gcs that are sold at ralph's/kroger. I keep getting a rapid busy signal or a message that its a bad number when i call in to set a pin. I've tried from several different phones, so i don't think the problem is on my end.

The number i am calling is 866.952.9653
You should follow this to change your PIN and you won't have to worry about typing in the wrong number:

http://saverocity.com/chasingthepoin...paid-card-pin/
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by vinhboy

866-952-9653

866-952-5653

Thank you a lot of that. OP I understand your post was a typo. Apology accepted.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
Neither should trigger a CTR but a single deposit will look more like a transfer from another account in my opinion. I also avoid any whiff of structuring by depositing full amounts.

I ran by Krogers today and got shut down. They wanted driver's license and social security card for $2000. I'll try another as I understand they still accept Vanilla GC for money orders. I'm hoping it was an overzealous employee.
I am new to this forum. I have a vanilla visa gift card in hand, but I have not use it at all, which means the pin is not set. I just wonder whether I can use an unused vanilla visa gift card (PIN not set) at grocery store like kroger to get a MO? If I can, what are the steps? Or I have to set a pin first in order to use it as a debit to get to MO.
Thanks
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Leocheng
I am new to this forum. I have a vanilla visa gift card in hand, but I have not use it at all, which means the pin is not set. I just wonder whether I can use an unused vanilla visa gift card (PIN not set) at grocery store like kroger to get a MO? If I can, what are the steps? Or I have to set a pin first in order to use it as a debit to get to MO.
Thanks
Do you realize there is a wiki on the top of the thread? Your answer is in the wiki.

Please read the wiki so you would not make any stupid mistake and end up locking the debit function of your card. (failed attempts of PIN would do that).
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:39 pm

Anyone in the Bay Area having trouble using Metabank GC at WM? I tried tonight, and went 1 for 4. I kept getting "payment declined - reason 51".
I would swipe, then it asks "cash back." - select NO. Enter pin. Processing....then "error, debit not allowed". I'll go to a WM outside of the BA and no issues at all with Metabank GC.
This is happening consistently at 2 WM in the BA. Most cashiers will not allow you to use GC for MO, but the stores that do seems to have had their POS updated.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by minnow99
Anyone in the Bay Area having trouble using Metabank GC at WM? I tried tonight, and went 1 for 4. I kept getting "payment declined - reason 51".
I would swipe, then it asks "cash back." - select NO. Enter pin. Processing....then "error, debit not allowed". I'll go to a WM outside of the BA and no issues at all with Metabank GC.
This is happening consistently at 2 WM in the BA. Most cashiers will not allow you to use GC for MO, but the stores that do seems to have had their POS updated.
Use the search button. You will find your answers in threads.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:57 pm

Hi there, here I have a new experience regarding the MasterCard Gift Card issued by U.S. Bank (20 dollars to 500 dollars, nonreloadable, activation fee is 5.95 dollars). I purchased Money Order at my local Walmart and had to follow the Wiki (e.g., Change payment...) to let the card to be accepted. However, when I did the same thing at Hy-Vee, there was no need to do the "Change payment..." thing: I just swiped the card and the screen required the PIN. I entered the PIN and the card went through successfully.

On the other hand, Hy-Vee charges a serve fee of Money Order a little bit lower than Walmart (fee for Walmart was 70 cents and fee for Hy-Vee was 69 cents). At Hy-Vee, one person can only purchase up to two Money Orders each day and can only put up to 999.99 dollars in each Money Order. While for Walmart, the limit for each Money Order is 1000 dollars and there is no daily limit (the cashier told me this information).

So, you might chose which store you wanna to go for purchasing Money Order(s) based on my experience.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:36 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by wangxinqing
Hi there, here I have a new experience regarding the MasterCard Gift Card issued by U.S. Bank (20 dollars to 500 dollars, nonreloadable, activation fee is 5.95 dollars). I purchased Money Order at my local Walmart and had to follow the Wiki (e.g., Change payment...) to let the card to be accepted. However, when I did the same thing at Hy-Vee, there was no need to do the "Change payment..." thing: I just swiped the card and the screen required the PIN. I entered the PIN and the card went through successfully.

On the other hand, Hy-Vee charges a serve fee of Money Order a little bit lower than Walmart (fee for Walmart was 70 cents and fee for Hy-Vee was 69 cents). At Hy-Vee, one person can only purchase up to two Money Orders each day and can only put up to 999.99 dollars in each Money Order. While for Walmart, the limit for each Money Order is 1000 dollars and there is no daily limit (the cashier told me this information).

So, you might chose which store you wanna to go for purchasing Money Order(s) based on my experience.
Thanks for the info My local Grocery store charges .49 per MO and allows me to get $1000 x 2 daily. I use Vanilla One and never have to use a "work around" method. Keep Churning!

Last edited by ajhardee; Jan 22, 2015 at 11:38 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:52 am

the work around method is only for walmart....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.