Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
It has been 2 weeks of no love from Kate for any Sunrise Visa card from WM. Keeps asking for pin over and over, which is correct over and over, tried with 10 cards with both BB and Serve. Getting very irked at this point.

JudyJFLA
I thought I already responded to you, but maybe it was someone else, this comes up like 5 times a day. Its the same issue as the 9 digit pin, you can keep trying if you want, but until your kiosk gets an upgrade you are done.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Thanks, that totally sucks!
I was wondering since it worked one day and not the next.
Is there any way to physically tell if there has been an upgrade (new color keypad, ect?)
I want to tell if Kate has had "Plastic" Surgery

JudyJFLA

Last edited by JudyJFLA; Nov 10, 2014 at 2:04 pm
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
I thought I already responded to you, but maybe it was someone else, this comes up like 5 times a day. Its the same issue as the 9 digit pin, you can keep trying if you want, but until your kiosk gets an upgrade you are done.
Would those Sunrise Visa cards work at a register?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
Would those Sunrise Visa cards work at a register?
Yes
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Graypanther
New to Bluebird. Is this approach valid? AAA is supposed to have gift cards you can load with $5000. Go to WM. Ask cashier to load my BB. Do I load $500 at a time or can I load $2500 at one swipe? Then after 9pm (west coast) load the last $2500? If only $500, then I'm limited to 4 swipes per day so only $2000? Thanks for advice!
Answer to my own question - transaction list info I finally found on BB web page, and as another poster mentioned - $1999.99 limit for gift cards per day. Also in a WIKI not linked to by this one. $2500 limit appears to be a combination of things. Please correct if this is wrong.

Last edited by Graypanther; Nov 11, 2014 at 1:14 am Reason: add comment
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:55 am

Answer to my own question - transaction list info I finally found on BB web page, and as another poster mentioned - $1999.99 limit for gift cards per day. Also in a WIKI not linked to by this one. $2500 limit appears to be a combination of things. Please correct if this is wrong.

this is wrong. 1999.99 is only a velocity limit of the kiosk, you can only load that much within 10 minutes. You can load more via the counter, or wait for the kiosk to reset. 2500 is the limit per card per day. Limit per swipe for a redbird is 1000, ive never tried to do more than 1000 to a bb or serve, so i cant comment on that. This should all be found in the bluebird thread wiki.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
Thanks, that totally sucks!
I was wondering since it worked one day and not the next.
Is there any way to physically tell if there has been an upgrade (new color keypad, ect?)
I want to tell if Kate has had "Plastic" Surgery

JudyJFLA
besides being thre when its being upgraded, I dont think so. I went the other day to mine and it was down - black screen with some sort of thing about maintenance on it... All of my 4 kiosks were down within 24 hours of each other, so it may have been a systemwide thing (at least in florida). Fortunately my go to kiosk was just fine after the upgrade, i havent been to the others yet
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:41 am

FYI. I've been a no go at my only Walmart. They check your cards against BB to make sure there is a name on both that match. Haven't been able to load any giftcards for a year. They even train all new employees to check name on"debit" cards. I also don't have a kiosk.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:47 pm

Nevermind it was an issue with the card.

Last edited by Twaffles; Nov 13, 2014 at 10:24 pm
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
I have 10k in Vanilla Visa gift cards sitting in my safe. I've been cooling my heels the past few months but am about to jump back in. Can someone update me on liquidating these? I believe non WM MO to be the only method at this time. Is that correct?

Also I will be depositing all of this to a new Wells Fargo account in order to prompt for the 5% offer and a decent line but I'd rather not deposit 10 1K MO. Do the cash checking places able to consolidate 10 1k MO to 1 10k MO?

In advance, thanks.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
I'd rather not deposit 10 1K MO. Do the cash checking places able to consolidate 10 1k MO to 1 10k MO?
You really think one MO for 10k will draw less attention than 10 MOs for 1k ?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
Also I will be depositing all of this to a new Wells Fargo account in order to prompt for the 5% offer and a decent line .
As I just posted on the 5x WF thread, at least 2 of us here on FT have received a notice from WF that as of Jan 15, they will no longer give rewards on purchases of "store gift cards".
Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by JoJo12
As I just posted on the 5x WF thread, at least 2 of us here on FT have received a notice from WF that as of Jan 15, they will no longer give rewards on purchases of "store gift cards".

Better hit it then. I wonder how they plan to enforce it. I checked visa level 2 or 3 data support and none of the local stores are listed as supporting that kind of info.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Hbax
You really think one MO for 10k will draw less attention than 10 MOs for 1k ?
Neither should trigger a CTR but a single deposit will look more like a transfer from another account in my opinion. I also avoid any whiff of structuring by depositing full amounts.

I ran by Krogers today and got shut down. They wanted driver's license and social security card for $2000. I'll try another as I understand they still accept Vanilla GC for money orders. I'm hoping it was an overzealous employee.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Better hit it then. I wonder how they plan to enforce it. I checked visa level 2 or 3 data support and none of the local stores are listed as supporting that kind of info.
They can pull your itemized receipt from the merchant bank however this is a troubling practice that will lead to regulation eventually and oversight of their plans to implement big data. Think about the reports of them pulling individuals pharmacy receipts to protect their leaky rewards programs. It will cost them far more in business losses if their leverage of data is regulated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.