Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by pjleitch
The US Bank variable loads are all that are available that I can find. They seem to have secure packages and no problem with not having the full $500. What is weird is that the sticker on the front has 1-866-952-9653 to call and that # gives a no longer in service message. I can reset the pin with the # in the wiki and then it loads fine to BB at WM. Also weird is that the package shows valid through 06/2023 but the actual cards show 08/23. It is all working so far, but these 2 discrepancies are making me nervous. Do I have a reason to be?
My previous post was incorrect. The number I called was 1-866-952-5653.

Are you sure you didn't enter a "9" instead of a "5"?

1-877-952-9653 is not a working nunmber. 1-866-952-9653 gets a busy signal.

Last edited by JATR4; Oct 21, 2014 at 10:01 pm
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond
I just got another batch, and again the sticker on the front of the card has last 4 digits "9653" but the Kroger receipt says to call last 4 digits "5653" which works and is the # the wiki has. The # on the back of the card is the "5653". They loaded fine at WM however.

Scary that with all the fraud, US Bank has a typo on the activation sticker? Could a fraudster set up their own toll free # with one changed digit and just swap out the front sticker, thereby getting all of the card info including your reset pin?

In addition, as I said above, the package says expires 06/23 but actual card expires 08/23. Maybe I will drive a bit, find a different store and see if they have the same issue.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Are OV cards now accepted at WM? Kates or cashiers or both? Would them work for MO in TX?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Are OV cards now accepted at WM? Yes, although it works intermittently depending on location. YMMV rules. Kates or cashiers or both? IME, both Would them work for MO in TX?
You just have to try it and see because it may work for some in TX but not for you. Keep YMMV in mind all the time so you'll not be disappointed
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Are OV cards now accepted at WM? Kates or cashiers or both? Would them work for MO in TX?
Maybe, maybe not. You know what YMMV means right?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Help with potentially faulty Metabank variable gift card

Bought 3 $500 gift cards at a Safeway, and it looks like one of them might be faulty. (Usually activated immediately, although fine text says that it may take up to 24 hours.) Should I wait this out for that time period to see? Numbers all match up on receipt, but cannot set PIN due to the phone/online systems not taking the printed 3-digit CVV.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 6:05 am

I bought a US bank MC (celebrate) on 9/19. Tried to use it to load BB and it failed. Tried to buy MO's at another location and it failed. The decline reason when buying MO's was that I entered too many PIN numbers. Called the 800# on the card and was given the same reason. I re-set my PIN and tried to buy another MO, same thing, 'too many PIN numbers'. I'm entering the right number.

The gift card CSR couldn't do anything and gave me the number for customer relations and who knows if they can even do anything. I haven't had time to call them yet but I probably will later. Has anybody ever had this problem before?
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Rooks
I bought a US bank MC (celebrate) on 9/19. Tried to use it to load BB and it failed. Tried to buy MO's at another location and it failed. The decline reason when buying MO's was that I entered too many PIN numbers. Called the 800# on the card and was given the same reason. I re-set my PIN and tried to buy another MO, same thing, 'too many PIN numbers'. I'm entering the right number.

The gift card CSR couldn't do anything and gave me the number for customer relations and who knows if they can even do anything. I haven't had time to call them yet but I probably will later. Has anybody ever had this problem before?
Yes, I have. If you "mess up" the pin on the first try it locks the card from being used as Debit. This happened to me 3 months ago. I called customer support and they tried reseting and changing the PIN 3 times. Nothing worked! I had to unload it via a "Credit" charge to Amazon Payments ,which is no longer available My advise to you is to have them send you a brand new card. Otherwise, you will have to use it as "Credit" and not "Debit".

Last edited by ajhardee; Nov 8, 2014 at 9:55 am Reason: miss spell
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:37 pm

AAA card

New to Bluebird. Is this approach valid? AAA is supposed to have gift cards you can load with $5000. Go to WM. Ask cashier to load my BB. Do I load $500 at a time or can I load $2500 at one swipe? Then after 9pm (west coast) load the last $2500? If only $500, then I'm limited to 4 swipes per day so only $2000? Thanks for advice!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Graypanther
New to Bluebird. Is this approach valid? AAA is supposed to have gift cards you can load with $5000. Go to WM. Ask cashier to load my BB. Do I load $500 at a time or can I load $2500 at one swipe? Then after 9pm (west coast) load the last $2500? If only $500, then I'm limited to 4 swipes per day so only $2000? Thanks for advice!
Good question, I have done in the past, but recently only 500 per transaction. and allow only 1k total and more ymmv. try, u may be lucky!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
Good question, I have done in the past, but recently only 500 per transaction. and allow only 1k total and more ymmv. try, u may be lucky!
I can load $1999.99 via "Kate" Kiosk at my Walmart. I have also been able to load a full $2000 in one day at the Return Register.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Graypanther
share a link for this 5K visa GC from AAA, can you load it with a CC?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
share a link for this 5K visa GC from AAA, can you load it with a CC?
The gift cards are fee free at some AAA offices for the holidays. Call your local office to see if they participate. There is limit before they shut you down.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:03 am

I have AAA membership since I have auto/home insurance with them. I called the office if they have the cards now and they told me they will be available starting 11/15, will be fee free for members, can be loaded up to $3K each (looks like loads are variable but I don't know who controls the max value). Secretary said they will accept Visa/MC for them. I hope nothing changes.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
It has been 2 weeks of no love from Kate for any Sunrise Visa card from WM. Keeps asking for pin over and over, which is correct over and over, tried with 10 cards with both BB and Serve. Getting very irked at this point.

JudyJFLA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.