Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
Originally Posted by timblaktu
Has anyone had this before? This is a first for me. I bought a OV Visa GC at Rite Aid last week that is activated and shows correct balance (both on website, and via OV CSR), but none of the 3 (known good) card readers I've tried to swipe it on have worked. There is a little visible scratch on the mag strip, but I can't know if it was there "out of the box" or if it was scratched by some debris in the first card reader I tried. I called OV and the CSR is sending me a replacement. Just curious if anyone has had this experience before.
I came across several of these and was able to use the super slow swipe to get them to load.

I speculate they had a bad batch.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:41 pm

For Metabank visa, I know that recent packaging says the pin is last 4; is it also last 4 for older Metabank cards where the packaging doesn't say anything about a pin?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by 2B or back in coach
I came across several of these and was able to use the super slow swipe to get them to load.

I speculate they had a bad batch.
I received my replacement card a few days ago, and activated it online.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:50 am

Was out of touch for VG reload for a while. Needed minimum spend for SouthWest cards. Accidentally bought US Bank MCs. First time I went to neighboring WM, the MCs appeared as credit card in the teller's terminal. Then found about the "Change Payment" yellow button trick - but the terminals are too damn fast I think I tried like 15 times in multiple terminals, was able to successfully press the button only once Was able to fool the teller by showing real debit card when she asked to look at it, and then pressed wrong PIN .
I think I need to find WMs that use older POS
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:36 pm

Vgc for grocery MO

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, I'm on my mobile and it's difficult to search just on this thread.

I purchased a $200 Vgc by meta (same ones sold at Staples) at grocery. I've loaded these fine at Kate before.

I tried using it to purchase MO at same grocery and I wasn't prompted for debit or credit. It only took out the MO fee. The rest I had to use by bank debit cuz I didn't have any other way to pay it other than walk away.

I've purchased tons of MO at grocery but using Vanillas.

So am curious why Meta VGCS aren't usable for MO at grocery.

There was no cancel or change payment like at WM.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:22 pm

YMMV.

Last edited by Chelski; Jan 9, 2016 at 2:02 pm
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, I'm on my mobile and it's difficult to search just on this thread.

I purchased a $200 Vgc by meta (same ones sold at Staples) at grocery. I've loaded these fine at Kate before.

I tried using it to purchase MO at same grocery and I wasn't prompted for debit or credit. It only took out the MO fee. The rest I had to use by bank debit cuz I didn't have any other way to pay it other than walk away.

I've purchased tons of MO at grocery but using Vanillas.

So am curious why Meta VGCS aren't usable for MO at grocery.

There was no cancel or change payment like at WM.
Which grocery?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Purchased a money order last night, realized I accidentally purchased a U.S. Bank MC instead of the U.S. Bank Visas I prefer.

It was a split tender transaction, Visa gift card debit (#1), Visa gift card debit (#2), then the MC debit (#3) wasn't cooperating -- it went to the signature screen each time, despite my attempts to try and get it to change payment.

Cashier swiped it on his side, got the "card not allowed" error prompt (as I expected). He also scanned the barcode on the back, which didn't do anything as far as I could tell. Finally, after about 8 swipes on my end, the transaction completed... but the final MC transaction completed as a credit card transaction instead of a debit, I signed a paper receipt (not the screen), and the money order was printed.

The amount hit the debit card as a pending transaction, but I'm worried it won't process properly on Walmart's end and they'll void the money order, which I use to pay my rent.

Should I be concerned?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
Which grocery?
Meijer
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by ianmanka
Should I be concerned ?
No. Receipt was generated.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
Which grocery?
Sorry no experience with that one.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
No. Receipt was generated.
Phew. Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:00 am

Can anyone tell me if I can send money via WU or MG using a onevanilla card? Can't afford to waste $120 to find out, hopefully someone has tried?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Any1Hello
Can't afford to waste $120 to find out
How would you waste $120 ? Gasoline for driving ?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:34 pm

running through this thread and unable to find an answer:

Do incentive card lab visas work?

They seem to allow for some pretty large cards and the fee is fairly minimal on them. Would I be able to use them with a pin to load to either my serve (not dead...yet) or to buy MO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.