Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:51 pm

I read a post by a fellow FTer about the language at the top of the FINCEN form saying "when purchasing more than $3000 with CASH". And how he/she pointed it out to the manager and they agreed with him/her.

Well, I had success in buying more than $3k at a Walmart I frequent. The cashier actually told me it was okay because I was paying by debit. I was floored. You win some, you lose some.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
one way I have gotten rid of left over $1's or whatever on my GCs is to call Comcast's auto pay system and just pay my bill or over pay my bill and enter the GC numbers and the ammt. So if my GC has say $1.50 on it, I can pay my bill on the phone and just type in that ammt and it will give me an auth code to write down. This zeros the card and now my Comcast bill will adjust. It is ok to over pay your comcast bill and while the auto phone system takes some getting used to, one can do a bunch of these in a few minutes and no human involved.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:24 am

I end up with $1 on AMEX GCs after draining them via AP. I cash out my $1 GCs at BJ's, which detects and accepts the $1 left on each card.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
Originally Posted by I can see for miles
I end up with $1 on AMEX GCs after draining them via AP. I cash out my $1 GCs at BJ's, which detects and accepts the $1 left on each card.
Or you can add them with the wrong expiration date.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by cuebert
Or you can add them with the wrong expiration date.
First time hear the wrong expiration date trick, thanks for sharing! Should I care earlier or later expiration date or any wrong date is fine?

Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
one way I have gotten rid of left over $1's or whatever on my GCs is to call Comcast's auto pay system and just pay my bill or over pay my bill and enter the GC numbers and the ammt. So if my GC has say $1.50 on it, I can pay my bill on the phone and just type in that ammt and it will give me an auth code to write down. This zeros the card and now my Comcast bill will adjust. It is ok to over pay your comcast bill and while the auto phone system takes some getting used to, one can do a bunch of these in a few minutes and no human involved.
I go online and pay my Dish network bill. This is a good process.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Thanks. I tried this with ATT (I have Uverse) and it works fine. However, ATT doesn't allow to pay in advance. However, you can pay your monthly bill using multiple gift cards. So, next month, I am going to pay my bill exclusively using my 30 odd gift cards.

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
Didn't know BJs allowed this. Does this work at the self-checkout counters? I prefer not going to a cashier for these things.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Yeshu JP
sorry if this has been answered before, but what is the best method to liquidate small amounts left over after taking out the MO (like 1 dollar, 1.2 dollars, etc.)? TIA
When I have a GC with a small amount left I will head over to Amazon and purchase a gift card for the exact amount and then add it to my account. It all gets spent there eventually.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM | US PP | Hilton Gold
How do you all have leftover money in your GC? When I liquidate mine, I always use the exact amount it has left on it ... MO for $499.30 or load SERVE with the exact amount.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by john doe iii
How do you all have leftover money in your GC? When I liquidate mine, I always use the exact amount it has left on it ... MO for $499.30 or load SERVE with the exact amount.
that's because when I did that a couple of times, the system gave me an error. Not sure if it was an isolated incident because I never tried it again (pretty sure I had the pin correct cause I always use the same pin for these cards just to make life easier for me). Well, thanks for the helpful guys in this forum, I now know how to liquidate these small amounts. I will probably pay my ATT bill or use them at BJs.

And next time, I will try getting 499.30 and report back if it goes smoothly.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by asubrapp
When I have a GC with a small amount left I will head over to Amazon and purchase a gift card for the exact amount and then add it to my account. It all gets spent there eventually.
i used to do this. do this too many times and amazon may ban you. I think there's a post on Dan's deals on this (or some other travel blog, but I certainly remember reading it somewhere). The reason is because you are adding too many payment methods. I have lots of these gift cards with small balances and I certainly don't want to add each and every one of them as a payment method and then cash them out for amazon egift cards. I use my amazon account a lot and certainly cannot risk getting banned (for the same reason, I don't abuse Amazon payments - only once or twice a year. There have been reports that people who have regularly sent money using amazon payments, even if it is just A--->B getting banned completely from amazon).
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Just use the small GCs at Target on your next trip (I'm there quite often). Swiped thru several small GCs and a $25 rebate card on one of my last trips. Their system is smart enough to drain each properly.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Just use the small GCs at Target on your next trip (I'm there quite often). Swiped thru several small GCs and a $25 rebate card on one of my last trips. Their system is smart enough to drain each properly.
thanks. will do. i go to target pretty often.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: United, AA, Avianca
how are you all unloading target? what's the best way to minimize any atm fees? I feel that w the visa/amex GC fees, load fees, and unloading fees, it isn't as lucrative as I'd like it to be. Mine is collecting dust, but thinking about putting some life into it.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fulthrust7
how are you all unloading target? what's the best way to minimize any atm fees? I feel that w the visa/amex GC fees, load fees, and unloading fees, it isn't as lucrative as I'd like it to be. Mine is collecting dust, but thinking about putting some life into it.
I was literally talking abut buying things at Target that you actually need Yes I realize I am giving up a small amount of points by not using a CC there, but being able to easily liquidate small amounts is nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.