Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by groobie
Lol...Timber!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by groobie
Lol...Timber!
we have a winner! hahaha
Old Jan 17, 2014, 6:18 am

I tried to purchase MO for $999.3 splitting between 2 $500 VGC, it was no go. Cashier tried swiping on her side and it worked. Any recent experience splitting payment in Walmart?

Last edited by Johnnycomeslater; Jan 17, 2014 at 1:46 pm
Old Jan 17, 2014, 6:20 am

Worked just fine for me this AM. Had a sweet 4-way with my favorite POS terminal.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cashier has to know to hit "$500.00 debit" on the key pad part of her screen on her right -and your left to set the ammt of each swipe and you have to wait til it says waiting on customer. For the last swipe cashier need not hit any keys as you just owe the last $500. Always do have a back up debit card avail in case something goes wrong in one of the swipes. Once you are in the process you dont wanna back it out
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:42 am

Those damn Terrorists... or MS'ers!
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Bought four VGCs off of giftcardmall.com. Tried to liquidate 2 to BB today. One went through fine and the second came back at the kiosk and register "Debit not approved. Call authorizer"?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
The cashier at the WalMart close to my job looked at my ID and BB when I went to load today. I asked her why, and she said they have to do it now. I asked what prompted the change and she said that she was just doing as she was told. I was only requesting to load $500, and I mentioned to her that I thought I heard somewhere that large transactions needed an ID. I loaded $500 in two transactions, and then went about my business.

I think WM in this part of town probably gets a bunch of MSers with multiple birds to feed. I've decided to run all of my GCs through the BB with my name, and then run beans through the other 2.

Just wanted to share my experience.
I had this happen to me a couple of times at one of the Wally Worlds near me before the recent changes (this was probably 11/2013). Luckily both times it was when I just happened to be using my card. I was only loading $500 those times too. Hasn't happened since. Both times the cashier just matched the names, she did not enter any data.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More hit songs:

Swipe something im giving up on this mo

Or

Im friends with the money order under my bed

Or

These bluebirds... Makes for better ms conversation
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:21 am

Quick question if anyone can answer. I tried to load MC GC via cashier for 2x200. Visa works every time, but when I try to do MC, it just says waiting for authorization immediately then says unable to process debit. I never got the chance to change payment type. I even tried hitting cancel button. Any solutions to this? Works fine on kiosk as they ask for PIN every time.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:19 pm

Just a warning. I bought some visa gift cards from Kroger beginning of the week and didn't get to unload them until tonight at WM. I tried to do $500 MO and BB and 5 out of the 8 cards were rejected. I went home to check online and saw that there was a pending $1 purchase at Gap with today's date on each of the rejected cards. I quickly went back to WM and did $499 MO and BB instead. The lesson is don't hold those gift cards too long.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by fulthrust7
it doesn't work at all walmarts. If they have the older keypad, it seems to not work. The issue is that the computer treats it as a cc and not debit so you have to take the steps necessary ("cancel button"--only works on new system) to change to debit in order to process. The other annoying issue is that you can't seem to combine multiple cards in one transaction as you are able to with visa (up to 3 cards per transaction).
Have a bunch of MC GC from Office Max promotion. So what's the best way to buy MO with these? I was thinking of 4x 200 MO.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:48 pm

For those of you who purchase GC from Kroger, how much have you purchased monthly?

Normally I purchase $1-2000 per month but I plan to increase to $4-5000 next month.

Since they keep my record (i.e. scan my DL for every card I purchase), do they have a limit of any kind?

Thanks,
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nomoneyinmybank
Have a bunch of MC GC from Office Max promotion. So what's the best way to buy MO with these? I was thinking of 4x 200 MO.
I used a $500 Vanilla Visa GC from 7-Eleven, 2 - $200 MC GCs from the OM promotion and $100 from a $200 Visa GC from the AmEx Staples promotion to get a $1000 MO at the WM CS counter. I paid the $0.70 fee in cash, and all the GCs had PINs, of course.

For the MC GCs I had to press "other payment" (I think - I wasn't paying enough attention) and then "Debit" on the screen after swiping, but otherwise it was a breeze.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I used a $500 Vanilla Visa GC from 7-Eleven, 2 - $200 MC GCs from the OM promotion and $100 from a $200 Visa GC from the AmEx Staples promotion to get a $1000 MO at the WM CS counter. I paid the $0.70 fee in cash, and all the GCs had PINs, of course.

For the MC GCs I had to press "other payment" (I think - I wasn't paying enough attention) and then "Debit" on the screen after swiping, but otherwise it was a breeze.
Hello

Is this MC location with the modern color terminals? I know one of my nearby WM has them, and I'm going to try them there. The black and white terminal in other WM would not work with cancel payment button.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.