Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:07 am

got three MC gc from OM promotion, called to set pins
I then successfully linked it in my BB account, but when I tried to add fund from the card, it was denied. The language was that, strangely, I did not activate my permanent BB card rather than anything to do with the MC gc. Any idea?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flag
got three MC gc from OM promotion, called to set pins
I then successfully linked it in my BB account, but when I tried to add fund from the card, it was denied. The language was that, strangely, I did not activate my permanent BB card rather than anything to do with the MC gc. Any idea?
Sigh.... Sead this thread Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks This will answer all of your BB questions as well as dos and donts.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Nomoneyinmybank
Have a bunch of MC GC from Office Max promotion. So what's the best way to buy MO with these? I was thinking of 4x 200 MO.
you can do 1 x $800 mo and split across 4 cards
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I used a $500 Vanilla Visa GC from 7-Eleven, 2 - $200 MC GCs from the OM promotion and $100 from a $200 Visa GC from the AmEx Staples promotion to get a $1000 MO at the WM CS counter. I paid the $0.70 fee in cash, and all the GCs had PINs, of course.

For the MC GCs I had to press "other payment" (I think - I wasn't paying enough attention) and then "Debit" on the screen after swiping, but otherwise it was a breeze.
This was my experience with the current OM MC gift cards after trying a couple different WMs trying to empty my cards. The touch screen on the swipe terminal had the yellow "Change Payment" button appear. Hit that button, select debit, and empty away.

Unfortunately, not all WM stores seem to be using the same system because this didn't work on the previous attempt. Good luck!
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by TheMacallan
This was my experience with the current OM MC gift cards after trying a couple different WMs trying to empty my cards. The touch screen on the swipe terminal had the yellow "Change Payment" button appear. Hit that button, select debit, and empty away.

Unfortunately, not all WM stores seem to be using the same system because this didn't work on the previous attempt. Good luck!
thank you for sharing your experience. Did you do multiple MC cards this way? Or did you one MO at a time for 3 cards? What i mean to ask is Can you split a $599 MO across 3 MasterCards which have 200 each in them? I read that splitting might not be possible and might have to go for 3 diferent MO.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by rampartmovie
thank you for sharing your experience. Did you do multiple MC cards this way? Or did you one MO at a time for 3 cards? What i mean to ask is Can you split a $599 MO across 3 MasterCards which have 200 each in them? I read that splitting might not be possible and might have to go for 3 diferent MO.
I typically order 2 $1,000 money orders. Total comes to $2,001.40. I pay with two $500 Gift Cards and put $1,001.40 on MVD. Some customer service reps don't seem to know how to do it correctly and the first $500 GC gets rejected. At that point they usually hand it off to another rep who does it correctly.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:59 pm

sorry if this has been answered before, but what is the best method to liquidate small amounts left over after taking out the MO (like 1 dollar, 1.2 dollars, etc.)? TIA
Old Jan 23, 2014, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Yeshu JP
sorry if this has been answered before, but what is the best method to liquidate small amounts left over after taking out the MO (like 1 dollar, 1.2 dollars, etc.)? TIA
Some store POS terminals are able to swipe a gift card (as credit) and determine the remaining amount on their own. They will zero out the card and request additional payment for the balance. There may be steps along the way for you to approve, depending on the terminal.

You could use the remainders of multiple cards in one transaction, how many depends on how many cards the terminal can handle in one transaction.

Examples I have confirmed: Target and Walgreens. I'm sure others can chime in with more.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by mithrin
Some store POS terminals are able to swipe a gift card (as credit) and determine the remaining amount on their own. They will zero out the card and request additional payment for the balance. There may be steps along the way for you to approve, depending on the terminal.

You could use the remainders of multiple cards in one transaction, how many depends on how many cards the terminal can handle in one transaction.

Examples I have confirmed: Target and Walgreens. I'm sure others can chime in with more.
that's awesome. I actually did this at Jimmy Johns and it works fine (you just have to know the exact amount on your gift card). Also, probably not a good idea to do it when there is a huge line at the checkout counter.

Thanks for the tip on target and walgreens. I regularly shop at Target and this will come in handy.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Yeshu JP
that's awesome. I actually did this at Jimmy Johns and it works fine (you just have to know the exact amount on your gift card). Also, probably not a good idea to do it when there is a huge line at the checkout counter.

Thanks for the tip on target and walgreens. I regularly shop at Target and this will come in handy.
BestBuy can also determine the amount on it's own.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I clear out small amounts at Ralphs grocery store - register automatically drains.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by whitesol
BestBuy can also determine the amount on it's own.
cool..though I usually don't shop too often there...for me, target might be the best option...still, good to know a list of places where I can easily liquidate small amounts left over on the card.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by groobie
I clear out small amounts at Ralphs grocery store - register automatically drains.
Might have to try Aldi's or Giant Eagle. I am located in NE Ohio and there is no Ralph's grocery store here.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:56 pm
wcj

deleted

Last edited by wcj; Jun 29, 2014 at 4:08 pm
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by wcj
Ralph's is Kroger in your area. Speedway works too, but why do you have these small amounts left? One should be able to figure out the amount to order based upon MO fees, like $999.30 is the popular one, but $499.42 is easy as well. Seems to me that a bunch of $1 cards lying around would be easily lost.
well, that's the problem...for some reason, whenever I try to make it exactly 499.42, the transaction gets denied. I dunno why. I am going to try it again the next time and will see if it fails again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.