Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:47 am

Yeah, just buy whisky, beer, milk, chicken, a prepaid Refill, or whatever at Target and swipe them all
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
My local CVS is now out of the OVs and gold packaging Vanilla Visas. In their place they've replaced them with a bunch of new kinds, mostly Christmas themed variables and ones in creme colored packaging. Any certain kinds I should avoid?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Originally Posted by TheChallenge
My local CVS is now out of the OVs and gold packaging Vanilla Visas. In their place they've replaced them with a bunch of new kinds, mostly Christmas themed variables and ones in creme colored packaging. Any certain kinds I should avoid?
Nope..just keep in mind some of the decorative ones cost an extra dollar or so...unload is the same.

Also don't forget to check near the registers or towards the back of the store in the 2nd gift card display. Sometimes there are some there too.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:33 pm

I must be lucky. Seems every major grocery store around here has a Visa/Mastercard Giftcard kiosk. Yesterday found out my favorite gas station carries unlimited number of Moneypaks payable with a credit card.

( I would caution people tho to read carefully because some giftcards don't allow pin #s so they won't work when buying MOs at Wally's )
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: US GP, *G, HHonors Gold, SPG
Interesting encounter at Wally World today. Did 2 $500 swipes for a $999.30 MO, which were approved. When the clerk went to print the MO it turned out they were out of paper. This got me a bit nervous as the supervisor was unable to reverse the transaction. Eventually the manager came over and told the clerk just to cash me out. So the clerk counts out $1k in $20s in front of about 20 people. Managed to liquidate (for free!), but definitely a bit odd. This Wally isn't in the best neighborhood either. Ended up liquidating the other GCs at a Harris Teeter down the road.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by arrek
Interesting encounter at Wally World today. Did 2 $500 swipes for a $999.30 MO, which were approved. When the clerk went to print the MO it turned out they were out of paper. This got me a bit nervous as the supervisor was unable to reverse the transaction. Eventually the manager came over and told the clerk just to cash me out. So the clerk counts out $1k in $20s in front of about 20 people. Managed to liquidate (for free!), but definitely a bit odd. This Wally isn't in the best neighborhood either. Ended up liquidating the other GCs at a Harris Teeter down the road.
It happens, but why didn't they just replace the paper and redo the MO with the 1K they gave you.. That is the interesting part...
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:14 am

Programs: US GP, *G, HHonors Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
It happens, but why didn't they just replace the paper and redo the MO with the 1K they gave you.. That is the interesting part...
Yeah, it was weird. I assume they were out of paper completely. Strange thing is when i asked when they would be doing MOs again the clerk said they didnt expect to soon. They also regularly tell me that BB is down, but when I insist on swiping it always works...
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: All of them!
Originally Posted by arrek
I had the same thing happen to me once except they gave me $100s. The cashier knew exactly what had happened and what to do, and refunded me in cash immediately and apologized for the inconvenience that I would not be able to purchase any MO and neither would those in line behind me. I spent more than the 70 cents I saved on that MO on driving to the next closest WM to buy the rest of the MO I had planned to buy until the first one didn't print.

I was back at that same WM again a month or two later and the same thing happened, only the cashier didn't realize that my receipt saying I received $1,000 in change meant my debit charges wouldn't be reversed and she was supposed to give me cash. I was initially told that it would go back to my card and they would refund me in cash if I returned to the store with my account statement to show the charge had not been refunded. Eventually got it sorted out after the manager got involved, and in this case they were able to refill the paper and ended up giving me a new MO that they entered in the computer as paid for with the cash that I was supposed to have been refunded.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:36 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
WM locally started giving me guff about having my name on the 'debit' cards and would not process them onto my BB, there are two that I know of with the MC however they are both down constantly...will it be the same with MO? I've been reading about Kroger MO as well, anyone have luck at Kroger?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Yeshu JP
Thanks. I tried this with ATT (I have Uverse) and it works fine. However, ATT doesn't allow to pay in advance. However, you can pay your monthly bill using multiple gift cards. So, next month, I am going to pay my bill exclusively using my 30 odd gift cards.

Didn't know BJs allowed this. Does this work at the self-checkout counters? I prefer not going to a cashier for these things.
Yes it does, which makes it perfect. Quick swipes to drain your cards with $1, then pay the balance with whatever GC or CC you please.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
WM locally started giving me guff about having my name on the 'debit' cards and would not process them onto my BB, there are two that I know of with the MC however they are both down constantly...will it be the same with MO? I've been reading about Kroger MO as well, anyone have luck at Kroger?
Is this starting to go nationwide? I feel like I'm reading more reports about this lately.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
Is this starting to go nationwide? I feel like I'm reading more reports about this lately.
My WMT cashier told me same thing today and referred to some guy's note. It might be just the manager discretion thing. I showed bank debit card and swiped GCs.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
For those with spousal accounts how do you load GCs @ WM with a non MSer spouse?
I’d say about 20% of the time the clerk will look at the card before swiping on their register and if they saw Jane Doe and looked at me looking like a John Doe I’d imagine there would be an issue. Besides the one off times I’m asked for ID and BBs are compared to it.
I tried adding myself as a subaccount but the BB FAQ states subaccounts can’t add money.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by vodkashine
For those with spousal accounts how do you load GCs @ WM with a non MSer spouse?
I’d say about 20% of the time the clerk will look at the card before swiping on their register and if they saw Jane Doe and looked at me looking like a John Doe I’d imagine there would be an issue. Besides the one off times I’m asked for ID and BBs are compared to it.
I tried adding myself as a subaccount but the BB FAQ states subaccounts can’t add money.
Never been asked for ID and you can always claim to have had a sex change and forgot your wallet.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:20 pm

Just came from WM and used 4 GCs. 2 to load my GoBank card and 2 to buy a MO. No questions asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.